Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Where to go / Re: Agios Nikolaos, Peloponnese
« Last post by IngridP on January 28, 2022, 12:02:03 AM »
Each time we visit Stoupa, we always, and at least twice, visit Agios Nikolias for lunch by the beautiful little harbour.
Plakias / Re: Plakias weather today
« Last post by JBMouse on January 26, 2022, 04:00:05 PM »
Try Facebook, search for 'Nikos Plakias Ontherocks' and that great chap Nikos posts photos and videos of his comings and goings in and around Plakias. Yesterday it was about the snow in Selia.
Don't know if I should laugh or cry at the scenes of Plakias!
« Last post by FelixB_ on January 26, 2022, 01:02:00 PM »
Almost real time information on the weather situation in Plakias from the official weather station on top of the mayor's office (Ouranos Appartments):
https://penteli.meteo.gr/stations/plakias/

Best forecast:
https://www.meteo.gr/beach-forecasts-en.cfm?bid=164

Greetings to all "Plakiaholics" ;)

Felix
« Last post by JBMouse on January 13, 2022, 03:14:23 PM »
That's the problem with not having the webcams working, can't see what we are missing in Plakias!
Plakias / Plakias weather today
« Last post by Daniel on January 12, 2022, 06:24:36 PM »
Plakias weather.

Anyone currently in Plakias in January ?

One weather report is saying 71.4 mm of rain in the last 24 hours.

That's almost 3 inches in old money !!

Any flooding or dammage caused by this ?
Plakias / Re: Ok, 2021, lets go !!
« Last post by Richard on December 19, 2021, 08:33:54 PM »
We were in Plakias in September, having not been for two years and we were surprised at just how busy it was compared to 2019. Plakias is not the small village we first visited in 1995 and has now become a small resort. We always used to eat in the paligremnos at lunchtime and even that wasn?t up to its usual standard. The olives were so small in the Greek salary that there was no meat on them. At the start of the second week we had our usual saganaki and it had been deep fried rather than pan fried. It was so greasy we left it, not something we ever do 🤢
Sadly, we have taken the decision to not go back and now we just need to find something a bit smaller and not so busy. Any suggestions are very welcome 😕

I first went in 1995 also, and, having visited at least once a year since 2002, only really noticed the changes this year, somehow - changes were slow, nothing sudden, I suppose. The place ?felt different?, though, last year and this, and what stood out for me was that:

(i) it really isn?t ?the end of the road? any more - the tarmac road stopped just beyond what is now the harbour in ?95 (though it was clearly a work in progress), and I drove what felt like miles to the west, well beyond Souda, this year, to Rodakino and beyond

(ii) I felt that a general decision had been taken not to use even the basic Greek greetings and farewells in many the Tavernas, although perhaps that was just my experience. Maybe the arrival of the new hotel, if I?m correct?

(iii) the old Monastery above Souda, after a brief spell of rebuilding in ?07, was suddenly much more developed, not the ?hidden gem? I walked to many times

I wonder about Souda for next year. All it would need is a small shop to be self-contained, though I suppose that might be the beginning of the end there also!
Plakias / Web Cam
« Last post by Barny on December 17, 2021, 02:35:38 PM »
OK, who's had the web cam ? I need my fix (not the beer but wouldn't say no).

Barny.
« Last post by Mike G on December 07, 2021, 02:46:40 PM »
We were in Plakias in September, having not been for two years and we were surprised at just how busy it was compared to 2019. Plakias is not the small village we first visited in 1995 and has now become a small resort. We always used to eat in the paligremnos at lunchtime and even that wasn?t up to its usual standard. The olives were so small in the Greek salary that there was no meat on them. At the start of the second week we had our usual saganaki and it had been deep fried rather than pan fried. It was so greasy we left it, not something we ever do 🤢
Sadly, we have taken the decision to not go back and now we just need to find something a bit smaller and not so busy. Any suggestions are very welcome 😕
Sad to read that Plakias has lost two long standing and regular visitors. Sadly I don't think I will be back, mainly due to Olympic Holidays not providing a full package holiday. If Covid travel restrictions persist I won't be doing any Greek trips.

M
« Last post by Daniel on November 07, 2021, 02:39:45 PM »
Well that is 2021 Plakias done.
June was a disaster and unable to go .
But September was different.
In spite of our initial trepidation , will we decided to take the plunge and go back to see George at Creta Mare .
Plenty of paperwork and checks and hoops to jump thru but after all of that, a tremendous 2 week return visit.
And we are ready, really, really pleased that we did this .
Would not have missed it for the world.

Now on to 2022 .

My thoughts and plans for this upcoming .
Plakias / Crete city move to plakias, your experience?
« Last post by IBOB on November 04, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »
I was wondering how people generally experienced the move from city life to plakias.

I was also told there are lots of burglaries in Plakias, if so I suppose empty summerhouses?

For me both are nice in my mind but afraid I will miss the buzz of city life which can be annoying too.

Supermarkets are really expensive in Plakias, no street market to buy cheap vegetables.

But this topic is about your experience, if you have it please share.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]