Author Topic: Heraklion - Plakias by bus  (Read 7369 times)

Offline kirsty

• View Profile
Heraklion - Plakias by bus
« on: September 01, 2004, 04:17:38 AM »
Hi

I'll be arriving in Heraklion at about 4:30 AM on Sat 4th September (3 days  !!!!) and am meeting my boyfriend from a later flight arriving at 7:30 AM. By this time the transfer service our two friends are using will have gone so I was just wondering what our travel options are? We'll both have been travelling for a long time and want to get to Plakias with minimal fuss having travelled overnight, but I worry that the cost of a taxi may be prohibitive. Any thoughts??

Thanks
Kirsty

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 09:37:54 AM »
Hi Kirsty,

We will be half an hour behind you   You may be lucky and find someone on your boyfriends flight who is going in the same direction and could share a taxi.
If our flight is delayed a couple of hours you are welcome to share ours, this overnight flying is a real pain I must admit.. but its worth it  

Maybe when so many people are going out at the same time and are travelling independently (i.e no package transfer) we could try and bring people together here to try and save money by sharing taxis.

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 12:23:20 PM »
Maybe when so many people are going out at the same time and are travelling independently (i.e no package transfer) we could try and bring people together here to try and save money by sharing taxis.

Cheers,
Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A good idea. I imagine a saloon car sized taxi would be too small for 4 adults plus luggage but at the beginning of September, there may well be enough people on a flight to share a minibus. I don't know but maybe a minibus between 4 people works out cheaper than 2 taxis.

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 12:24:42 PM »
sharing a taxi is obviously the best bet .Since other people may also be going to Plakias , it might be worth standing by the airport exit  as the later plane gets in with a placard saying anyone want to share a taxi to Plakias
 Failing that , the best public transport option would be bus to Heraklion , then bus to Rethymnon , then bus to Plakias .There was recently a posting on this site about public transport from airport to Plakias but I cannot remember where it was- you could try search options
roger

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 01:26:10 PM »
Kirsty,

Try the contributions from Noopsy 500 on 15 and 17 July and by Greecemad on 16 July.

Link to transfer by buses to Plakias.

It wouldn't suit me- too unadventurous. Have settled for the tour operator option, at least while there are good bargains to be had.

Hope you maange to make it.

Mike

Offline kirsty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 04:56:02 PM »
Thanks everyone - much appreciated. We'll have to play it by eaqr I guess but as you say, there may be others headed our way

Cheers
And here's to happy hols for one and all

Offline eejit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 12:49:51 AM »
Taxi should be about EURO 70; dont know is that is or isnt prohibitive expensive to you like.

Have used the bus couple of times its a doddle also; change in rethymno is a no brainer.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 11:59:42 AM »
Have used the bus couple of times its a doddle also; change in rethymno is a no brainer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2352\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Correctamente.  I have now used this means of getting to Plakias so can give a current and detailed update.

To catch the bus after arriving in Heraklion you go onto the main road which runs outside the terminals.  Turn to your left, and head for a wooden ticket booth where you purchase your ticket into the centre of Irakleio.  The price has gone up and is now 65 cents.  You will see bus drivers hanging outside the booth.  Wait outside until you are told which bus to get onto.  Present your ticket to the driver to get past the "flippers" (you'll know what I mean when you see them).  Make sure that the driver knows that you are connecting to Rethymno, and he will tell you when to get off.  When you alight there is a bit of a slog to the interurban bus station.

On arrival, purchase your ticket from the kiosk inside the bus station, and make your way outside to where your bus will be departing from (signposted).  By the way, it's not a bus but a fully air-conditioned, comfy coach.

The price of a ticket from Rethymno to Plakias has gone up to Euros 3.30.  Again, it's a coach that takes you to Plakias.  The service that I used did not go directly to Plakias but via various tourist spots, picking up and dropping people off on the way so the journey lasted more than the scheduled 1 hr.  I don't know; maybe other services are different.

Good luck with the transfer anyone giving it a go.

Noopsy  
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος