Author Topic: Where to eat?  (Read 62115 times)

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a vegetarian?  (who has been known to eat fish)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i can't think of a totally veggie restaurant in plakias ( in fact i can only think of one, buts that in paleohora) but most tavarnas have various veggie options, Stuffed aubergines, corgettes and various beans in tomato sauce dishes. whether these are 100% veggie of course is a different matter  

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2006, 01:27:11 PM »
Looks like the Lysseous is out in front and I must agree. I had the kleftica four times last year and it was... oh I can still taste it! wonderful!
Always found the Kri Kri a safe bet for grills eg swordfish, steaks etc and they always ask you how you want it cooked.
Worst meal? an afternoon snack in the Lamon, the pizza was like a biscuit which made me drink more beer.
george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lysseous Taverna

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2006, 06:54:11 PM »
Last year while we were at the Lysseous,my wife who normally never eats meat asked lito for a steak she said I thought you were a vegetarian, not exactly said Fran, enjoy your steak said Lito,and dont worry the cow was also a vegetarian.
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline Doggie

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2006, 08:12:26 PM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a vegetarian?  (who has been known to eat fish)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't think of a totally veggie restaurant in Plakias ( in fact I can only think of one, but that is in Paleohora) but most tavarnas have various veggie options, Stuffed aubergines, corgettes and various beans in tomato sauce dishes. whether these are 100% veggie of course is a different matter  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Aye! That is a strictly veggie restaurant! We had dinner there last June en route to Elafonassi and had a surfeit of artichokes and thingies which grew up with no legs! We always have a few days away from Plakias to scout out other parts of Crete which we love and dinner there was really tough going but interesting!! Watching the other diners (you had to be there) was better than the food for non veggies and the owner (I think...attitude!) was not a happy bunny when he had to clear our table of remnants. Great live music though and if we'd been veggies we would probably have loved it!

Best meal in 2 weeks? Barbecued steak bought from the shop near the Plakias "bridge" , cooked by my exquisite Maree at midnight under the Cretan skies, followed by a swim on our last evening in Plakias. Aberdeen Angus steak imported from the herds in Argentina and bred from Aberdeen Angus bulls frae Scotland. Maree is an Aberdeen lass and the irony under the Cretan stars didn't escape her!

That apart we enjoyed eating Cretan style in Harakis, pork in Metaxa was delicious, and other restaurants in the front street, and sadly until we joined this list ,we didn't realise how popular Medousa was! Hope there will be room for us there in June! If not, I hope someone will budge along or share a table!

Doggie

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2006, 01:09:01 PM »
Best meal in 2 weeks? Barbecued steak bought from the shop near the Plakias "bridge" , cooked by my exquisite Maree at midnight under the Cretan skies, followed by a swim on our last evening in Plakias. Doggie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6054\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

my god, that sounds good!  

Offline david kelly

• View Profile
Where to eat?
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2006, 02:23:35 PM »
I don't think you can fault the food in most of the eateries in Plakias, but having just returned my faves of this year have to be Siroko and Kastro, both as much for the location, vibe and service as for the food.  I really don't like the tavernas that front onto the main drag in Plakias due to the traffic and the noise but also the volume of people thay cater for.  Both of those I mentioned are quiet, provide excellent service and great food.  Siroko doesn't have an extensive menu but have great specials every day.  Highlights for me were the stuffed squid, Kleftiko and pork rolled with plums.  Plus you get the great view over toward Souda and can watch the sun descend behind the hills.  Mousses (sp?) was good for the odd night but I find their food not as interesting (with the exception of the Gavdos Goat Meat) and I get tired of the comedy waiting staff.

Talking of food can anyone point me in the direction of a good web site for greek recipes.  Thanks

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2006, 09:21:04 AM »
Quote from: david kelly
I really don't like the tavernas that front onto the main drag in Plakias due to the traffic and the noise but also the volume of people thay cater for.

i have got to agree with you on this point David, it's very nice to watch the people going by but i think you get better all round service off the main road

that stuffed squid sounds gorgeous btw!!  

Offline joolz

• MSN Messenger - lindylou463@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2006, 12:43:57 PM »
Quote from: david kelly
I don't think you can fault the food in most of the eateries in Plakias, but having just returned my faves of this year have to be Siroko and Kastro, both as much for the location, vibe and service as for the food.  I really don't like the tavernas that front onto the main drag in Plakias due to the traffic and the noise but also the volume of people thay cater for.  Both of those I mentioned are quiet, provide excellent service and great food.  Siroko doesn't have an extensive menu but have great specials every day.  Highlights for me were the stuffed squid, Kleftiko and pork rolled with plums.  Plus you get the great view over toward Souda and can watch the sun descend behind the hills.  Mousses (sp?) was good for the odd night but I find their food not as interesting (with the exception of the Gavdos Goat Meat) and I get tired of the comedy waiting staff.

Talking of food can anyone point me in the direction of a good web site for greek recipes.  Thanks

I have been visiting Plakias twice-yearly now for about 4 years and only this June did I discover Kastro.  Wow! what had I been missing.  The food was excellent - in my opinion the tasiest around.  Mmm..horta balls done to perfection.   Siroko is also a favourite with Babis (and his Father) always giving a good service with clear explanations of the menu.

Was very disappointed with one of the restaurants on the front (near the Pier) this year.  The food was appalling - cold and tasteless.   There are too many other good restaurants to choose from so I certainly won't be returning there again.

I use www.greek-recipe.com for authentic Greek recipes.  Loads to choose from with easy instructions.
Good luck.
Joolz.
Joolz

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2006, 01:26:44 PM »
Ostaco (John O) recommended Kastro earlier and its on the top of my list to try this September.
I think I'm going to avoid all the places I know and then I'll get around to all of them.

george g...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:32:28 PM by George »

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2006, 01:31:02 PM »
Quote from: George
Ostaco (John O) recommended Kastro earlier and its on the top of my list to try this September.

george g...
Hello George,

You might see Mr and Mrs Posh Bird there!

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2006, 01:35:29 PM »
Looking for to seeing how posh she isn't!!

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2006, 02:31:39 PM »
i'm going to tell her...and then you'll both be in trouble!!

Mandy Harrison

Where to eat?
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2006, 11:48:30 AM »
Looking for to seeing how posh she isn't!!

george g...

Probably the poshest bird you are ever gonna meet Georgie!  Better tell all your other "posh" birds to move over - they wont be able to cope with the competition

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to eat?
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2006, 12:20:31 PM »
Interesting reply, I'm getting worried Chris, Do you keep her on a lead?

george g...

Mandy Harrison

Where to eat?
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
Interesting reply, I'm getting worried Chris, Do you keep her on a lead?

george g...

He wouldn't dare!   he knows which side his bread is buttered.  Took me a long to train him and there is still room for improvement but we are working on it!