login

Author Topic: Live Bouzuki  (Read 10514 times)

Offline triton

• View Profile
Live Bouzuki
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:07:56 PM »
Are there any Tavernas in Plakias where they play the Bouzuki.
We are partial to a bit of Sirtaki.   Not bothered too much about the plate smashing!!

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Live Bouzuki
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »
Hi Triton,

Paligremnos used to have a music night, but it did not bring in enough money so it has stopped.  We went to it a few times and really enjoyed it.  It was very participatory.  On one occasion a greek woman started dancing on a table, with her friends circling round and clapping.  The night always involved a lively "Zorbas".

You will see advertised in Plakias music at one of the tavernas at Souda, about 5 km along the coast.  There have also been Greek nights at Calypso resort, again out of town.

Last year there was a music night at the campsite in Plakias but for a reason I can't remember, we didn't go.

So in short, I'm being a bit helpful, but not very!

Arnaki

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:19:14 PM »
Hello,
Panorama taverna has a Greek music night every week (I think on Thursdays, but I am not sure).  It is announced at the outside of the taverna.  It is usually very popular, so you need to come early in the evening or try to make reservations.

Hugo

Offline Plakias Suites

• Plakias Suites is a family complex of 6 apartments
    • Twitter
    • Youtube
    • View Profile
    • Plakiassuites Rethymno Crete
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
Hello,
I angree with Hugo, Panorama Taverna every Frinday night has Greek Live Music, it starts about 20:00- 20:30, it is better to go about 19:30 .Panorama Taverna is in Mirthios (near village from Plakias about 3 km).

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »
Thankyou for all the replies, we will make a note of them and as we are self catering we will visit them too.
Dave and Jackie

Offline hasapiko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »
Hi all.....not quite same subject but 2 sept '13 there are 4 of us going to Plakias for the first time. We are members of a Greek Dancing group and are intent of having a party or three during our hols...look out !!!  can't wait to get there

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:26:51 PM »
the tourism festival is usually in september, there are usually many dancing troupes from all over the island, a beautiful specticle

Re Bouzuki music...Tradional Cretan music doesn't use the bouzuki, The Lyre s the main/lead instrument, I know our Greek friends would not like to mention the turkish influence (but it's there)

chris

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
Good news everyone. The Galini Taverna Souda beach will have live music every Wednesday throughout the season.

For those of you that do not know this Taverna, it looks like this.

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
Looking forward to going there then.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
Assuming that the dates are the same, the tourism festival is usually the 27th Sept.........and there is usually a wealth of music, dancing, food and wine. Apart from the advertised events it might be worth asking at one of the main tavernas as most of the locals will be aware of where the most unplanned evenings occur.....we tried that and ended up having a great evening in one of the backstreets. Well worth trying.

Jackie

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:16:24 PM »
Assuming that the dates are the same, the tourism festival is usually the 27th Sept.........and there is usually a wealth of music, dancing, food and wine. Apart from the advertised events it might be worth asking at one of the main tavernas as most of the locals will be aware of where the most unplanned evenings occur.....we tried that and ended up having a great evening in one of the backstreets. Well worth trying.

Jackie

Thankyou, we are there until the 28th Sept

Offline Roy B

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »
I am going to Plakias next week. Hurrah.

Is the Galini restaurant the only place that offers live Bouzuki? I hope not. Has anyone seen it this year?

Offline stavros

• Also Pedro_on_Tour on Tripadvisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »
A few one-offs coming up: 14th September at Frame; Monday after at Sifis. BTW walk to Gallini is c. 50 minutes; and the music is bouzouki-heavy laiki/Dalaras type stuff. Good enough of its kind, and it improved as they went on, but it was not lyra-led Kritiki (booo, shame) - at least that was the case last night. Nice taverna and good food though.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:27:17 AM by stavros »
Visiting Greece and Crete since 1984

Offline stavros

• Also Pedro_on_Tour on Tripadvisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »
Visiting Greece and Crete since 1984

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »
Good review.  I liked the bit about "resistance songs" and "German audience" though I think the nature of them would have been lost on it (as it would have been on me) which makes it all the more ironic.

Νούψη
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος