Author Topic: Any Plakias Updates?  (Read 10945 times)

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
Any Plakias Updates?
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:31:16 PM »
Having come through 3 separate blizzards this morning on the way to work and my return home under caution with a weather warning looming for 3pm today - anything exciting happening in Plakias to help dispel this winter more quickly?  How is Charlie - still paddling?  Looked bright and sunny earlier there this morning.

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Any Plakias Updates?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
It's snowing heavily  here in East Yorkshire!!

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
Albeit slightly off-subject but I don't think anyone will mind - interesting news indeed whilst we wait for an update from Plakias !  So, anywhere near Snaith? 

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »
Snaith  near Carlton?

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:31:52 AM »
Yes - that very one !

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »

Charlie is fine still running around like a mad puppy at 11 years old.
Sorry for the delay, its been a busy time here in the last few weeks with building our house, everything is good here, a few changes... Manolis from Manolis Apartments at the back is building a new house/apartments next to the camping site, he and his family will live there all year round and also rent some rooms in the summer, he currently lives in Rethymno in the winter and comes to Plakias every day to feed his chickens round the back by the Youth Hostel.
A bit more work has gone on with the new apartments just up from "On the Rocks" but work has stopped again so who knows when they will be finished.
The road just up from Tasomanolis is about to get obliterated with two 30 ton diggers parked there and some blue marker paint on the road so it looks like we are in for some new drains, the car park opposite Kri Kri is now a builders yard with 60 odd tons of stone and gravel and a few machines waiting for the work to start.
We went out to Sifis last night and can report that there new log fire is brilliant, they have also enclosed the front with some new glass doors and removed the old white ones so the place has now doubled in indoor seating, he said that they will remove the log burner in the summer though so some of you might not see it.
Most of the boats are out of the water at the moment and parked around the new harbour.
A couple more houses are being built on the road from Plakias / Souda to Selila.

Weather wise most days are around the 15 deg mark some a bit windy with showers but some like a summers day getting into the low 20`s in the sun.
I love this time of year as locals are more relaxed now the Olives are done and they have time to sit and chat and drink plenty of Greek coffee and Raki of course.

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 07:31:25 PM »
Thank you for your report. Good to know what's going on.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »
We stay with George at Creta Mare, just next to On the Rocks.
So where about are the new apartments "just up from On the Rocks" being built ?

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 09:09:07 PM »
The apartments have been a concrete shell for about a couple of years now, look like four boxes about 50 yards past on the rocks  towards the new harbour, they are up a short track about 10 meters higher than the main road.

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 12:36:58 PM »
Thank you for keeping us all up to date and whetting appetites !  We came back last year with olive oil from Sifi's and every time I open it I think of their fabulous food - our favourite first night and last night place to eat.   

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 07:49:53 AM »
Well its all happening at the moment here on sunny Crete !
The main car park outside Kri Kri is now a full scale building site you can just squeeze past with a car but the road is closed at the corner by the Pharmacy so to get to the road by on the rocks you have to go through the car park at the back of the Apollo  down the dirt track and out the back coming back in just up from the Carma Rooms.
For those staying at the hotel Lemon it is having major work to the ground floor reception and is completely gutted.
The hotel Creta Mare now looks like is has been hit with a bomb and has no front, all the balconies have been smashed down including no patio doors or glass.
The building at the back next door to Manolis Apartments has been a concrete shell for many years but now is well on the way to completion  a new 5 star hotel I am told, they have squeezed a big swimming pool in between the two buildings and it looks set to be open for this season.
Weather is great at the moment a few windy days last week but now in the 15deg mark with sunny but sometimes cloudy days.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »
Thanks for that excellent update on Plakias.

Most interested in the bit about George and his Creta Mare.
We are due back there in early September and would be pleased to see the pace habitable again by then!!!

Any further information on this building work would, therefore, be most welcome.

We would normally be back early June but are going to try Paleachora for a change this year.
The comparison with Plakias will be most interesting.

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
My goodness, certainly a lot going on - going to be very interesting seeing all this when complete ! Thank you F&J for the update - most welcome.

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 02:57:50 PM »
"The main car park outside Kri Kri is now a full scale building site" does that mean that something is built on the main parking lot? Or ist it just a temporary place to park the machines and material?

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 08:19:54 PM »
No the car park is a builders yard for all the equipment and materials they are digging it up in places to lay new drains and manholes but there isn't a building or anything being constructed, I guess it will all be back to normal before the tourist season starts.
There was a concrete lorry outside the Creta Mare today and they have concreted new front kerbs to all the balconies, I will take a photo and if I can work out how to reduce its size I will post it up here.