Author Topic: Any Plakias Updates?  (Read 10945 times)

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Re: Any Plakias Updates?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 12:13:08 PM »
Thank you! Does anybody know what the huge construction behind the "Resort" is?

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »
Just and update on the CretaMare, they have constructed a metal frame in the balcony of each room see photo attached and have now formed a plasterboard around this steel which will form the new patio door opening giving each room an extra 18inch to 2ft, it seems a lot of work for a little gain but am sure they have there reasons.

I'm not sure about the building to the rear of Plakias Suites, I guess they were just making that resort a bit bigger but I might be wrong, If I hear anything I will let you all know.

Quite a bit of rain yesterday and today with an onshore wind the waves were very big 2m high at least depositing stones and a bit of debri on the main sea front road.

Still digging outside Sofia Taverna so one way road still completely blocked off, making it very difficult for lorries to get the new harbour side of things and they are having to go right around and drop down in from Selia.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 11:21:55 AM »
Thanks for the update and the photo of what's left of Creta Mare !!

I just hope that George can get it finished and back in working order in time for our return visit in September.

Offline jerichrome

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 09:43:49 AM »
Just got back from 10 days Crete, 4 days of rain showers, then the sun got tru the clouds, few afternoons we drove out to Plakias, we were painting our villa in Loutra, coffee on the terras of Ostraco enjoying the sun.
Luckely the roadworks didn't cause to much noise in the afternoon, last weekend few people started to get beachtime, we even took a swim and had a few hours of beachtime at Ammoudaki.

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
Wooahhh...just checked the Morpheas webcams for my daily dose of Plakias and both look like something from a horror sci fi story....various shades of green (yes...green) and what looks like a sand storm...you can't see the dragon or the harbour ! Strange weather or simply a camera fault ?

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 02:16:08 PM »
Just looked myself. It will be the dust blown from Africa which was forecast. Never seen it as bad as that on cams

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »
It looks bad, confirmed from watching KritiTV, where they are reporting on bad fires in some forests and olive growing areas, strong winds breaking tree branches, and then an outside broadcast from what looks like Mars. The presenter was wearing a face mask, and with my basic Greek and the Greek titles underneath, I could make out the word Africa, but everything was red! That must explain the webcam from Morpheus.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 10:12:41 PM »
If you get a chance check out the photos on Beautiful Plakias - the Facebook page....absolutely awesome !

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 10:19:58 PM »
Yes the dust in the air was very bad the worst locals have ever seen, in the photo you should be able to see the new harbour, some of the hotels had just finished cleaning and sprucing things up just to have to do it all again as the cloud left a layer of orange dust everywhere, it has returned again tonight but nowhere near as bad and will probably be gone by tomorrow.

On a better note the road works have all pretty much finished and Plakias has a new tarmac road from outside Kri Kri past Ostricos and right up to the top of the hill before on the rocks, also a new foot bridge has been built over the river in between the two main front car parks. And we have new street lights on the main road down the hill into Plakias.

It waa the independence parade today and it felt like the whole of Plakias had come out to see it, a real family and community affair.

Offline jerichrome

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
Just got back from 2 weeks in Crete, We mage quite a few trips to Plakias because the weather was better in the south, especially the seawater temp.
Nice to see the difference with the first week of march when i was there.
Most restaurants are open, Tasomanolis not yet but working hard to get ready.
The restaurants between the parking and the harbourwal are all open.
The stores are open or working to open in the next days.
The beaches are cleaned from all the seaweed and the new pedestrian bridge looks nice. the roadworks are mostly finished.
Chairs and a few umbrella's are allready in place at the far end. spend a few days on the beach and every day there are more people at the beach.
Now back to work and 108 days to the return.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
From the look of it (and the webcams at the Morpheas) someone has re-tarmac-ed the footpath along the beach ...it is showing up as a rather hideous salmon pink.....is there anyone out there who can confirm this ? I dont think it's just 'the light'. I much prefer the subtlety of Plakias...dont really want it to become the next multicoloured Disney style seafront but it may be too late !

Offline Noggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 08:30:40 AM »
I'll be there in two weeks, traveling from Almyrida so I'll be sure to post some picks if someone else doesn't providing that the internet is faster than it is here. It's even slower this year than last.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
There are pictures of the new "red carpet" on the Facebook group Plakias. It looks like a coat of paint, and no more. The trip hazard holes still appear to be there. Perhaps the paint is to make better visual contrast with the beach, to prevent unwary visitors from falling off?