Author Topic: A Place In Greece  (Read 18407 times)

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« on: April 14, 2004, 01:53:39 PM »
Whilst I know not strictly on the topic of Plakias, am I the only one appalled by the behaviour and ignorance of the people on the latest Ch 4 documentary ??
Going to buy a house/land in Crete as after many visits they fell in love with the Island and the people - nothing strange there as we all know. However, for people that have visited the islands 'many times before' don't you think they might just have picked up the odd word, like - good morning/hello not to mention Please and Thank You. Even my 8 year old knows those words !!!
I had to admit to both my wife and I cringing when the guy went into a local Kafenion looking for a local to assist with his quest to purchase, and his first words being 'do you speak English...?'
My Greek I admit is faltering and very basic, and if I weren't in the Company of fluent speakers most of the time, then the least I would have with me would be a phrasebook, but at least try I certainly do.
To make a huge purchase like a house in a different Country - at least learn a few words, manners after all cost nothing.

Happy Easter all, Chronia Polla !!

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 02:09:09 PM »
Couldn't agree more Pritch!
I started to watch the programme - but gave up after the first episode.
To me, it's a question of respect and manners - neither of which were displayed there!
John - Ostraco

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 07:23:14 PM »
Thank God we're all such a civilised bunch here!  

Susan

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 09:04:29 PM »
Selfish, I know, but thank goodness he didn't choose Plakias!!  Seriously, these are 'made for television' programmes and I am sure the whole thing is a set up.  I agree about the manners. Dreadful.
Yvonne

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 09:51:17 PM »
Glad I didn't catch the program. Like many people we dream of having a little place in Plakias. Any local agents that board members know of?

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 02:29:47 PM »
I'd love a place in Plakias too!
I think the best way to find out about available property in the village is to ask around - but I did notice an office last year which looked like an estate agent - on your right as you're walking up from Ostraco to the Secret Nest.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 02:30:18 PM by ostraco »
John - Ostraco

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 02:40:47 PM »
Thanks for that info John. We're not there until September but we shall look out for the place then. Although there are loads of companies selling property in Crete, we need to find a local agent who can 'mind' the property as we will not be there 90% of the time.

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 09:26:06 PM »
Good luck Karen & Graham and very happy hunting. Have looked myself and a we have friends in Crete the 'minding' wouldn't be so bad, but as we thought we would try and get out over Easter this year - could we find any flights !!! Nothing, unless we wanted to pay VERY large with Easyjet to Athens then hopper to Iraklion - over a grand for the 4 of us...ouch. Seems the charters are getting later and later each year. Was a time you could get out from March onwards. Which has put a hold on any thoughts of buying somewhere (if I can ever really afford it anyway, if I'm honest, but we must all have dreams).
Mind you, how much would it cost if the Members here bought a place that was used by all........probably impossible but its a thought...
Watched the prog again tonight (bit like watching a traffic accident, you don't want to look but its perversly compulsive), oh my word, how bloody naive are these people, So OK, how many of you out there would employ a person who has not the remotest inklng of the native language !!! As for the ground breaking 'ceremony', how incredibly rude and offensive can anyone be ! As Susan says, and I feel the same, what a civilised bunch we are here.
Catch you all soon,
Pritch

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 10:49:59 AM »
We could not agree more with you all, we're not snobs, but these people
were the most ******************* we have ever seen or heard,
thank God they are not in our beloved Plakias. You all know the old saying,
"when in Rome" to insult the locals like that was unforgivable, they deserve
all the bad luck that is thrown at them.
 PS   Only 74 days to go and we will be "HOME"
  All the best to everyone,
John & Zell

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 06:37:41 PM »
Graham - I'm interested too - I'll see what I can find  out in May.

As for 'the programme' - not in this house, thanks!
John - Ostraco

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 01:50:24 PM »
Ok John - I look forward to hearing about any info you get. Have a good trip.

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 10:05:57 AM »
 Just finished watching channel 4's latest offering, "no going back" WOW, what a difference after their previous one. That guy to me is a hero  and so lucky to have such a wonderful wife. This couple, to give up everything here and to take on such a huge project like that was incredible and nothing short of a miricle. Not only did he make an attempt to learn the language but to gain the respect of the locals as well. Can you imagin ANY next door neighbour over here knocking down a garden wall so you could get a lorry onto your property? I don't think so. the way that they were treated by the locals was just amazing, and showed what wonderful people the Cretens are. All I can say to them is good luck and every success for the future.
John & Zell

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2004, 09:36:01 AM »
I agree, they have worked very hard and deserve every success. I'm not very child friendly but even the little boy was lovely.

Susan

Offline charllie101

• View Profile
A Place In Greece
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 01:51:30 PM »
Hi, I think I'm a bit late for this post but last night I caught this programme on Cable. They showed them back to back up until the most crucial one when they stuck an episode of Grand Designs on instead. It was so infuriating and I didn't find out if the project went ahead or not. Did Andrew and Brian manage to placate the developer, did they find the extra cash that they needed? The last one I saw was the episode where Andrew and Brian walked out of the meeting with the developer as they didn't have the money to fund the increased spec of the villa.

Would be most obliged if anyone could let me know what happened!

Thanks

Charlie

Offline Sandaraj

• View Profile
A Place In Greece
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 01:13:10 PM »
We could not agree more with you all, we're not snobs, but these people
were the most ******************* we have ever seen or heard,
thank God they are not in our beloved Plakias. You all know the old saying,
"when in Rome" to insult the locals like that was unforgivable, they deserve
all the bad luck that is thrown at them.
 PS   Only 74 days to go and we will be "HOME"
  All the best to everyone,
John & Zell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=1427\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't believe that you would wish bad on people! they dont deserve bad luck, just because they are as yet unable to speak any words of the language. God! Im so incensed by people like you lot, its unbelievable. I wouldnt call you snobs. I would call you all ignorant. And I am sad, being a Greek, that there are people that think like you do being in Greece.
Sandaraj