Author Topic: A Place In Greece  (Read 18389 times)

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 03:30:51 PM »
Hi Sandaraj,

It is not clear who you mean by 'you lot' but aren't you in danger of doing the same thing as the poster of the topic you quoted?

Most members of this forum share one thing, a love of Plakias.
That does not mean that we share all the other views of other members.

I am a strong believer in free speech, whether I agree with the opinions expressed or not.
Any poster, whether it be you or the person to whom you addressed your remarks, can express their opinion here, within reason, but it is not reasonable to assume that one opinion represents the opinions of all.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 03:36:43 PM by compage »
John Page

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 02:25:32 PM »
Very interesting if somewhat bewildering recent comments from Sandaraj re my posting 16th April, I wonder if ALL the programs were veiwed? Whilst I feel I do not need to defend myself regarding the contents of my posting I would most CERTAINLY defend my many Cretan Friends if they were treated in such a disrespectful way as they were in the program. I wonder why there was no comment on my posting of 21st May? was I perhaps correct on this occasion?
John & Zell

PS
Merry Christmas & a Happy,Healthy & Properous New Year to all
"FRIENDS OF PLAKIAS"

Offline Daskaloyannis

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - stvmulligan
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 11:37:55 PM »
Dear, Compage and John & Zell,

Sorry to hear of all the ill feeling that has occured due to the misunderstanding of the '' Sandaraj '' issue.  Democracy was born in Greece and also free thought, I did hope that the majority of the contributors of this site were of the same mind- unfortunatly not.  I can only add that mutual understanding and tolerance is the only way that philhellenes and the rest of humanity can coexist peacefully.

To conclude I leave you with a quote from Socrates.....
       '' I know nothing..'' .  

Kalinichta sas kai kalo Kristoyenna

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 11:41:54 PM »
 O Po Po! Sa' gapo Daskaloyannis  !  

Kai kalo Kristoyenna

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 09:44:20 AM »
Dear, Compage and John & Zell,

Sorry to hear of all the ill feeling that has occured due to the misunderstanding of the '' Sandaraj '' issue.  Democracy was born in Greece and also free thought, I did hope that the majority of the contributors of this site were of the same mind- unfortunatly not.  I can only add that mutual understanding and tolerance is the only way that philhellenes and the rest of humanity can coexist peacefully.

To conclude I leave you with a quote from Socrates.....
       '' I know nothing..'' . 

Kalinichta sas kai kalo Kristoyenna
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Another vote for tolerance, that's the spirit!

By the way Daskaloyannis, as a lover of most things Greek, Crete and walking too, you'll probably enjoy reading [a href=\"http://sjwalks.interkriti.org/index.html]this[/url].

... and have you seen this?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 10:01:05 AM by compage »
John Page

Offline Grayskull

• View Profile
A Place In Greece
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 04:49:37 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm the newest nekid mbr...home page said so...Man its nice to finally be so impo'tant. I'm 46 w/m, same as my wife but she's a girrlll....We're from Chicago,il area. However "coma" I'm stationed on a ship in Virginia and soon we deploy to the Mediterranian Sea for 4 months...Momma is at home:'( w/ my 2 cats "So  annnyyywaayyy, I've sought you all out as we may have like interests. intermission----------------------------

Philip staggered into the house at two o'clock in the morning. As he entered his bedroom, he found another man in bed with his wife, Tina.

Tina pushed the man off her and demanded to know where Philip had been until two o'clock in the morning.

Philip looked at his wife's lover and demanded, "Who in the hell is this guy, and what is he doing in bed with you?"

The wife responded, "Don't go changing the subject! Where in the hell have you been so late?"
-----------------------------------------------  So as I was sayin, so I'll be in the Med getting fuel and taking it out to ships at sea. One of several ports will be Souda Bay. Is that near the Plakias area ?? Im sure i'll need a swim and a  tan. All for now, Jim Kennedy

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 12:56:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jim (Grayskull).

Souda Bay is on the north coast of Crete just east of Hania. Don't know it personally, but the decent resorts of Kalives and Almirida are nearby. Plakias isn't that far, but it's on the south coast. You would go via Rethymnon.

Everyone on this forum would recommend that you make the trip when you are there. The view on the road into Plakias as you enter the village will make the journey very worthwhile.

Mike

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 05:09:39 PM »
Hey Jim welcome! If you do manage to get to Plakias go into the bar/cafe next to the butchers, a greek guy named Joe  owns it.  He used to  live in Chicago, for quite a number of years I believe and could never stop talking about the place!!
 However if you can't get to plakias you're still on a great part of the island. Souda Bay is a lovely place ( I take it you are going to the American base?). If you get a chance, visit the World War Two  cemetry there in Souda< it's breath-taking and unbelievably quiet. Go across the Akrotiri Peninsular to the small hamlet of Stavros where you'll find an almost circular sandy lagoon at the foot of 'Zorba's ' mountain. If you've ever heard of 'Zorba the Greek', ( a story written by Nikos Kanazakis a famous Greek author-the story then hit the big screens ) this is where it was filmed in 1961. There's an old greek guy that still lives in the village, who we had the pleasure of meeting, and who taught the famous actor Anthony Quinn to dance for the film. It's a lovely little place.  
 I'm sure you'll love it wherever you manage to see, Crete is full of history and   beauty!

Offline Grayskull

• View Profile
A Place In Greece
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 12:29:20 AM »
Well thank you for the replies, all suggestions will be used, guidance is appreciated. Now I can impress my friends with all I know...lol, i.e.  "My thoughts tell me there is another man from Chicago in the Cafe" Yes I believe we'll be at the US base fuel piers. As well as other Ports, date unknown to me just yet. Is the base more than a cab ride away from Plakias ?
Anothny Quinn is outstanding, now I'll go get the movie....
Thanks again, love the site, you all seem to be warm friendly people. I too am sorry to here of the discontent hence the corny attempt at a joke in my prior post. Any pain such as that is sad and painful to witness. Although I do hope it is used as a lesson for growth and not a tool to cause harm.

Just had a thought Maybe I'll be in your area on St Patricks Day !! lol
(I was made in America but designed in Ireland 101%)

Stick of Rock

A Place In Greece
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 06:15:27 PM »
Well thank you for the replies, all suggestions will be used, guidance is appreciated. Now I can impress my friends with all I know...lol, i.e.  "My thoughts tell me there is another man from Chicago in the Cafe" Yes I believe we'll be at the US base fuel piers. As well as other Ports, date unknown to me just yet. Is the base more than a cab ride away from Plakias ?
(I was made in America but designed in Ireland 101%)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2805\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes the base is more than a cab ride from Plakias if you want to "feel" the place
Suggest an R&R weekend in a hire car. Accommodation is cheap. When we stayed at Zorbas (over the jeweller's behind the souvlaki hut by Joe's) the weekends were full of couples from Heraklion and Rethymnon making whoopee
If broke use the youth hostel which is known to all in Joe's. They don't take the word "youth" too seriously
Distances in Crete aren't as short as they first appear on the map
When will you be there?

Offline Daskaloyannis

• View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2005, 11:08:44 PM »
Compage,

Sorry for the delay!  I did make a promise to try and view this site more frequently -Thanks for the pic of Daskaloyannis in Anopoli.  I have been wading through the Interkriti site and it has its good/bad points, in fact information overload.

I have noticed that the site has been quiet recently - any reasons that you can think of?

I will be in Plakias on June 28th @ 7pm (hopefully) If anyone is there I will be the one wearing obscure Greek/Cretan revolutionary designs on my T-shirts ie Ierou Lochou, Independence flag etc.

My beloved has stopped me having a tattoo of the twin headed eagle of Byzantium on my arm - basically saying I have reached the age where I am now regressing, perhaps she is right.  My colleagues at work state I should live there (Crete) this is something that we are considering.  I have had enough of IT, and living in England is now becoming virtually identical with America:- hypermarkets fast food, traffic and stress and leaders who should read more.

I know Crete is not as is was in the 60s but it is still beautiful.

Hale and farewell

Offline djdarknight

• View Profile
A Place In Greece
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 11:23:13 PM »
Hi,

There is a website in place which will allow you to see what has come of the project, and whilst you may have found the guys, how can I put this, "not to your liking", you might like the end result.

Have a look,

http://www.aplaceingreece.co.uk

Offline Daskaloyannis

• View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2005, 12:04:27 AM »
Thanks for the link to the 'TV Boys' house, the views are spectacular however the
concrete pool base is a bit of an eyesore.  Whatever happened to the  couple who participated with them in the programme - anyone know?
  One worrying aspect of thier house design - no bar area... was this intentional?  Was is it a case of loads of queer but no beer..? (only joking!)
  Anyone who might be offended, I do apologise...

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 08:52:17 PM »
Compage,

Sorry for the delay!  I did make a promise to try and view this site more frequently -Thanks for the pic of Daskaloyannis in Anopoli.  I have been wading through the Interkriti site and it has its good/bad points, in fact information overload.

I have noticed that the site has been quiet recently - any reasons that you can think of?

I will be in Plakias on June 28th @ 7pm (hopefully) If anyone is there I will be the one wearing obscure Greek/Cretan revolutionary designs on my T-shirts ie Ierou Lochou, Independence flag etc.

My beloved has stopped me having a tattoo of the twin headed eagle of Byzantium on my arm - basically saying I have reached the age where I am now regressing, perhaps she is right.  My colleagues at work state I should live there (Crete) this is something that we are considering.  I have had enough of IT, and living in England is now becoming virtually identical with America:- hypermarkets fast food, traffic and stress and leaders who should read more.

I know Crete is not as is was in the 60s but it is still beautiful.

Hale and farewell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can't say why the site has been quiet lately.  My best guess is that we've probably already answered most of the questions new visitors might ask.  It comes and goes.  I'm sure that if a hot topic was to start you'd find people contributing.  You can see from the list of members who've logged in every day that all the regulars check in.

Have you looked at the calendar to see who might be there at the same time as you?
John Page

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Place In Greece
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 11:09:28 AM »
One of the things I find amazing are people who have moved to Crete (not just Plakias and not just British) who do not like the Greeks.  Makes you wonder why they don't just stay in their own countries!!  On the subject of where to find land etc, I will try and get a list together of agents from some friends who are busy looking at the moment.