login

Author Topic: A Word of Warning  (Read 4522 times)

Mandy Harrison

A Word of Warning
« on: June 16, 2006, 10:26:14 AM »
Whilst in Plakias in May I visited several cash machines to withdraw funds.  A few were out of order at the time and finally managed to get cash from the one on the corner near the Alianthos.  That was the good news.  The bad news is I asked for 200 euros but what I received from the said machine was a mere 160 euros.    There was absolutely zilch I could do about it at the time and on returning to the UK I have taken steps to get the matter resolved.  However, my bank say it could take 10 weeks to resolve the situation and I am still waiting to hear.  I have to say I am doubtful I will ever see this money again because I believe my bank don't believe a word I say.  I have never experienced this problem before when withdrawing money from any cash machine.  That said I wont be re-visiting the cash machine on the Alianthos corner again - once bitten twice shy so they say.  At the end of the day I was down 40 euros - not a huge sum but beer money nonetheless.  You have been warned.

Mandy

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Word of Warning
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 11:06:54 AM »
Whilst in Plakias in May I visited several cash machines to withdraw funds.  A few were out of order at the time and finally managed to get cash from the one on the corner near the Alianthos.  That was the good news.  The bad news is I asked for 200 euros but what I received from the said machine was a mere 160 euros.    There was absolutely zilch I could do about it at the time and on returning to the UK I have taken steps to get the matter resolved.  However, my bank say it could take 10 weeks to resolve the situation and I am still waiting to hear.  I have to say I am doubtful I will ever see this money again because I believe my bank don't believe a word I say.  I have never experienced this problem before when withdrawing money from any cash machine.  That said I wont be re-visiting the cash machine on the Alianthos corner again - once bitten twice shy so they say.  At the end of the day I was down 40 euros - not a huge sum but beer money nonetheless.  You have been warned.

Mandy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6309\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Mandy, you have confirmed my suspisions that technology is not all it's cracked up to be.
Am I the only person in the world who has never ever put my card into a hole in the wall??
Sorry, don't trust them!!

george g...

Mandy Harrison

A Word of Warning
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 11:25:05 AM »
Whilst in Plakias in May I visited several cash machines to withdraw funds.  A few were out of order at the time and finally managed to get cash from the one on the corner near the Alianthos.  That was the good news.  The bad news is I asked for 200 euros but what I received from the said machine was a mere 160 euros.    There was absolutely zilch I could do about it at the time and on returning to the UK I have taken steps to get the matter resolved.  However, my bank say it could take 10 weeks to resolve the situation and I am still waiting to hear.  I have to say I am doubtful I will ever see this money again because I believe my bank don't believe a word I say.  I have never experienced this problem before when withdrawing money from any cash machine.  That said I wont be re-visiting the cash machine on the Alianthos corner again - once bitten twice shy so they say.  At the end of the day I was down 40 euros - not a huge sum but beer money nonetheless.  You have been warned.

Mandy

Thanks Mandy, you have confirmed my suspisions that technology is not all it's cracked up to be.
Am I the only person in the world who has never ever put my card into a hole in the wall??

george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah and to top that George they even charged me for taking money out of the machine that I never got!  Its a joke but I aint laughing!    The funny thing was that when Chris and I were waiting to withdraw the money some geezer at the machine was making a right song and dance about getting money - he was not English - and I recall we were irritated by the wait we had - I now have to wonder if he had the same trouble.  Oh well, we live and learn.  I will be telling the bank I want interest on the 40 euros - If I ever get them back!  Not long before I am out of here - have a good weekend    

Mandy

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Word of Warning
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 11:30:04 AM »
Thanks Mandy you too.

'geezer'??? there was me thinking you were a posh bird!!

george g...

Mandy Harrison

A Word of Warning
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 11:45:23 AM »
Thanks Mandy you too.

george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6312\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Appearances can be deceptive George!  There are no posh birds who emanate from Preston!  What you see is what you get.  By the way are you convinced the picture is me?  

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Word of Warning
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 11:54:30 AM »
A lot of Mythos has been consumed since that pic was taken, it is 2 years old!   and it's small.  

george g...

Mandy Harrison

A Word of Warning
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 12:01:09 PM »
A lot of Mythos has been consumed since that pic was taken, it is 2 years old!   and it's small.  

george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll take that as a no then  

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Word of Warning
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:12:16 PM »
A definate maybe!  

george g...

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
A Word of Warning
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 03:50:21 PM »
Whilst in Plakias in May I visited several cash machines to withdraw funds.  A few were out of order at the time and finally managed to get cash from the one on the corner near the Alianthos.  That was the good news.  The bad news is I asked for 200 euros but what I received from the said machine was a mere 160 euros.    There was absolutely zilch I could do about it at the time and on returning to the UK I have taken steps to get the matter resolved.  However, my bank say it could take 10 weeks to resolve the situation and I am still waiting to hear.  I have to say I am doubtful I will ever see this money again because I believe my bank don't believe a word I say.  I have never experienced this problem before when withdrawing money from any cash machine.  That said I wont be re-visiting the cash machine on the Alianthos corner again - once bitten twice shy so they say.  At the end of the day I was down 40 euros - not a huge sum but beer money nonetheless.  You have been warned.

Mandy

This defect is known to occur (rarely tough) with ATM's.
Sometimes a note is sticking into the machine in most cases thenext customer is getting this bonus?  Tip:  Try to withdraw money during office hours.
  It is indeed a rare

george g...

Yeah and to top that George they even charged me for taking money out of the machine that I never got!  Its a joke but I aint laughing!    The funny thing was that when Chris and I were waiting to withdraw the money some geezer at the machine was making a right song and dance about getting money - he was not English - and I recall we were irritated by the wait we had - I now have to wonder if he had the same trouble.  Oh well, we live and learn.  I will be telling the bank I want interest on the 40 euros - If I ever get them back!  Not long before I am out of here - have a good weekend    

Mandy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry to hear that Mandy
Sometimes (rarely) this problem occurs with ATM's, a note sticks in the machine.  
The next customer gets usually the bonus.  
If you notice the shortage of money, carry out a small (second) withdrawal instantly. In most cases the machine will spit out the missing note as well.  

Are you sure the geezer was not tempering with the machine? A piece of glue / chewing gum can due a lot in the hand of criminals.  

Tip:
Withdraw money during banking hours preferably in a bankbuilding itself.

Have a nice weekend.
Leen

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
A Word of Warning
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 03:53:11 PM »
I haven't had the need to use an ATM abroad. However, before I went I got an exchange rate of ca. €1.39 to £1 from the Post Office (no comission) which is one of the cheapest places in the UK to buy currency. I bought some duty paid booze at the airport and paid with a Nationwide credit card and the rate was over €1.48. This is due to the fact that they use commercial rather than tourist exchange rates and Nationwide doesn't add the 2.75% charge most other cards do. There was a thread about this on the forum last year I think.

So, it will be cheaper to buy things with a Nationwide CC than use cash bought in the UK. Other CCs will also be cheaper than cash but less advantageous than Nationwide. Before anyone asks, no I don't work for them.

Mike

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
A Word of Warning
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 03:59:18 PM »
Thanks Mandy you too.

george g...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6312\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mandy Harrison

A Word of Warning
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 04:23:04 PM »

Mandy

This defect is known to occur (rarely tough) with ATM's.
Sometimes a note is sticking into the machine in most cases thenext customer is getting this bonus?  Tip:  Try to withdraw money during office hours.
  It is indeed a rare

george g...

Mandy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry to hear that Mandy
Sometimes (rarely) this problem occurs with ATM's, a note sticks in the machine.  
The next customer gets usually the bonus.  
If you notice the shortage of money, carry out a small (second) withdrawal instantly. In most cases the machine will spit out the missing note as well.  

Are you sure the geezer was not tempering with the machine? A piece of glue / chewing gum can due a lot in the hand of criminals.  

Tip:
Withdraw money during banking hours preferably in a bankbuilding itself.

Have a nice weekend.
Leen

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6321\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the tip.  I cant be sure about the geezer tampering with the machine.  I think not though.  I think he wa having as much trouble as I!  

Have a nice weekend too!  

Mandy Harrison

A Word of Warning
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 04:26:07 PM »
I haven't had the need to use an ATM abroad. However, before I went I got an exchange rate of ca. €1.39 to £1 from the Post Office (no comission) which is one of the cheapest places in the UK to buy currency. I bought some duty paid booze at the airport and paid with a Nationwide credit card and the rate was over €1.48. This is due to the fact that they use commercial rather than tourist exchange rates and Nationwide doesn't add the 2.75% charge most other cards do. There was a thread about this on the forum last year I think.

So, it will be cheaper to buy things with a Nationwide CC than use cash bought in the UK. Other CCs will also be cheaper than cash but less advantageous than Nationwide. Before anyone asks, no I don't work for them.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=6322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I always have to use the machines whilst I am away - partly because I dont get paid before I go on hols and need to draw my salary when I am out there but thanks for the info!

Mandy