Author Topic: Fowl (at) play?  (Read 8570 times)

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »
I'm surprised that no one so far appears to have mentioned the "far end's" latest attraction.  I'm referring to the 2 pairs of geese that have taken up residence there.  They've taken a gander   at the rest of beach , and have decided that, clearly, the "far end" is the place to be.  And who can blame them?  With a stunning location to waddle around in, running fresh water to cool off in or slake their thirst (they haven't heard of Mythos), and the company of "cool" humans who feed them the occasional tasty tit-bit, what more can a bird want?  
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 08:18:29 AM »
A tit-bit at the far end     ?! When we met the goose in july they seem to be far away from such agressive behavior. Very friendly and communicative... just keen on Leftheris' Donuts! Congratulations to the brood!

shinaria

Offline Woodchops mate

• View Profile
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 10:08:54 PM »
Quote from: shinaria
A tit-bit at the far end     ?! When we met the goose in july they seem to be far away from such agressive behavior. Very friendly and communicative... just keen on Leftheris' Donuts! Congratulations to the brood!

shinaria

I am quite suprised to hear about the Geese invading our part of the beach!   We will just have to be careful not to expose too much "meat and two veg" eh WOODCHOP?    we will just have to make sure that we take plenty of bread to feed the geese instead.  
Woodchops mate ha ha !!!

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »

shinaria
Sorry, no pun intended!    Perhaps I should have said "tasty morsels".  And the geese (or goosies as I've heard them called) are certainly not aggressive...quite the opposite.  And a pleasure to observe.  
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 04:56:06 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500

shinaria
Sorry, no pun intended!    Perhaps I should have said "tasty morsels".  And the geese (or goosies as I've heard them called) are certainly not aggressive...quite the opposite.  And a pleasure to observe.  

But very good at going through bags, looking for tasty morsels, whilst the owners were taking a swim and very partial to raffia sand mats!

Mike

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 05:01:21 PM »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 01:39:07 PM »
Well I had a lot of fun watching the new residents - but try as I did - couldn't get them to stand still and pose for a picture!
Here's one I caputred though!

Well I had a lot of fun watching the new residents - but try as I did - couldn't get them to stand still and pose for a picture!
Here's one I captured though!
John - Ostraco

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 11:20:26 AM »
I thought they were a wonderful addition to the beach, great characters, Freddie said that they turned up at the beginning of the season and just seemed to adopt the place, and their mini war with the dog was hilarious.

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 02:13:48 PM »
Quote from: George
I thought they were a wonderful addition to the beach, great characters, Freddie said that they turned up at the beginning of the season and just seemed to adopt the place, and their mini war with the dog was hilarious.

george g...

the geese were great... my favourite moment was when after going through a sleeping girls bag for a potential snack, one of them decided to pull her hair before running off. she jumped about a mile while everyone around was rolling off their sunbeds laughing

) gave then a few chases. he came to us a couple of times for refreshment and quick kip

Offline boxerlover

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 04:36:35 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
Quote from: George

george g...

the geese were great... my favourite moment was when after going through a sleeping girls bag for a potential snack, one of them decided to pull her hair before running off. she jumped about a mile while everyone around was rolling off their sunbeds laughing

) gave then a few chases. he came to us a couple of times for refreshment and quick kip

This little pooch Chris we nicknamed "Fiddle".

We found out later that he is on his own and has no home. He cannot be more than 3 months old. Someone  has taken the trouble of taking him to a vet as he has had the "snip". This is the reason for the collar and not for ownership as we assumed.  He seems quite happy enough and well fed ( we bought him dog food and treats ) and should be ok during the tourist season. Another kind couple bought him a new collar as the one he is wearing in your photo was getting a little tight.  It is after this period that concerns me as who will feed him then ?
If anyone in Plakias can keep me updated please do.

I hope that someone will take him in as he is a lovely dog .

John

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 03:32:10 PM »
While I was there, someone brought two dogs down to the beach, and at one point they decided to have some sport with the goosies, chasing and generally worrying them.      The other people on the beach jumped to the goosies' defence, diving at the dogs as they chased by, blocking their path with sun loungers etc.  Someone eventually caught one of the dogs, and clearly in a fit of fury, pummelled it into the sand with his fist.  I couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for the dog, no matter what he had done.  
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 04:28:25 PM »
Quote from: Noopsy 500
While I was there, someone brought two dogs down to the beach, and at one point they decided to have some sport with the goosies, chasing and generally worrying them.      The other people on the beach jumped to the goosies' defence, diving at the dogs as they chased by, blocking their path with sun loungers etc.  Someone eventually caught one of the dogs, and clearly in a fit of fury, pummelled it into the sand with his fist.  I couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for the dog, no matter what he had done.  

Four geese are not really in danger from two dogs and hitting a strange dog is asking to be bitten. Since I think we are talking far end .....  

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 04:37:13 PM »

We found out later that he is on his own and has no home. He cannot be more than 3 months old. Someone  has taken the trouble of taking him to a vet as he has had the "snip". This is the reason for the collar and not for ownership as we assumed.  He seems quite happy enough and well fed ( we bought him dog food and treats ) and should be ok during the tourist season. Another kind couple bought him a new collar as the one he is wearing in your photo was getting a little tight.  It is after this period that concerns me as who will feed him then ?

John
[/quote]

See the Absence thread John, it looks like he's been sorted.

george g...

Offline boxerlover

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 05:52:12 PM »
[quote name='George' date='Nov 1 2006, 05:37 PM' post='7669']

John
[/quote]

george g...
[/quote]

Thanks George ..I already know he has been sorted as it was I who posted the last Absence thread

John

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Fowl (at) play?
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 09:29:29 PM »
[quote name='boxerlover' date='Nov 1 2006, 05:52 PM' post='7671']
[quote name='George' date='Nov 1 2006, 05:37 PM' post='7669']

John
[/quote]

george g...
[/quote]

Thanks George ..I already know he has been sorted as it was I who posted the last Absence thread

John
[/quote]

Hi all

I hope this dog was saved by some one for the winter ( where is the Absence thread ). It brakes my heart to see these wonderful animals homeless. If you ever see an animal that needs a home & you cannot find one for him/her please contact "The Friends of Rethymno" ( will post number later ) they do wonderful work in rescuing animals from cruelty & rescuing homeless animals. There is a lady in Pigi, Rethymno called Christine, she's English married to a Greek and her part is to provide home for these animals whilst trying to find new homes for them mainly with German tourists as it's easy for them to take them back home.

I have visited her twice & she relies on donations to feed, provide shelter, Vets bills etc, she had so few dogs & cats at the beginning of the season & so many near the end very sad but at least they are in good hands but even sadder when she can not take in any more.

Do call them, I'll post the number soon.

Rowena