Author Topic: Kallikratis road- question for Harribobs  (Read 19784 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Kallikratis road- question for Harribobs
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
The yellow lines at least should stop people parking up there rolleyes.gif
 haha!

the main improvement was filling in the dip between the asphalt and the side of the hill with concrete

And that made it possible to overtake.

Well - oncoming vehicles anyway !!

John R

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 08:24:11 AM »
Quote from: John R
 haha!

the main improvement was filling in the dip between the asphalt and the side of the hill with concrete

John R
It is a little unnerving isn't John?
I had a lorry coming up at me when I went down there so I tried to find a wide bit and stopped. He just came passed me as if on the main highway, casual as you like. Arm hanging out of the window as always and a cig in the other!
Hopefully the in fill will help steady the nerves, well mine anyway  

george...

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 04:47:42 PM »
Quote from: George
 haha!

John R

I had a lorry coming up at me when I went down there so I tried to find a wide bit and stopped. He just came passed me as if on the main highway, casual as you like. Arm hanging out of the window as always and a cig in the other!

george...

Yes it can be a bit unnerving. I still reckon it is the best bit of road that I've ever driven on.

A super video of the descent taken last year during the enhancements on youtube :_

John R

John

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 07:33:30 PM »
Quote from: George
 haha!

John R

george...

Yes it can be a bit unnerving. I still reckon it is the best bit of road that I've ever driven on.

A super video of the descent taken last year during the enhancements on youtube :_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huAK5_w9MAo

John R

John

Wow, that bought back happy memories.  
We got just over half way down when we drove it earlier this year when Dawn said she could smell burning.  
Being the gentleman I am, I waited until we were on the flat road leading to Frangokastelo before I told her it was the smell of the brakes.
Must try going up next year.  

Peter&Dawn

Offline Cabbyman

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
We went up it in October. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive but had to stop about 2/3 of the way up so Cherry could...ummmm...'unload some unwanted baggage.'
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:35:24 PM by Cabbyman »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »
I just got Ruth to look at the video and she is not sure if she wants to drive down or up, or was it something else? I lost it in translation! It may be quiet at Easter?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »
Quote from: Barny
I just got Ruth to look at the video and she is not sure if she wants to drive down or up, or was it something else? I lost it in translation! It may be quiet at Easter?

Barny.

I've never seen it busy. Driving down might be the easiest as it is easier to observe any oncoming vehicles and plan well in advance. When driving up, Gillian cranes her neck to spot any downcoming vehicles. I think I've only ever come across one vehicle in the few times we have done it. Done carefully it is spectacular but actually very easy. Driving up and down requires the least travel - which would be required on other quite hairy roads. The road from Miriokafala is now tarmaced and offers a slightly less traumatic climb up to Killikratis village than the twisting climb up from Assigonia.  All those roads to/from Killikratis village are now tarmaced and make for superlative driving and scenery.

John R
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:04:14 PM by John R »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »
Quote from: Barny

Barny.

I've never seen it busy. Driving down might be the easiest as it is easier to observe any oncoming vehicles and plan well in advance. When driving up, Gillian cranes her neck to spot any downcoming vehicles. I think I've only ever come across one vehicle in the few times we have done it. Done carefully it is spectacular but actually very easy. Driving up and down requires the least travel - which would be required on other quite hairy roads. The road from Miriokafala is now tarmaced and offers a slightly less traumatic climb up to Killikratis village than the twisting climb up from Assigonia.  All those roads to/from Killikratis village are now tarmaced and make for superlative driving and scenery.

John R
The YouTube video was brilliant thank you John, and the music was incredibly apt. Unfortunately I must admit that it took me a lot longer to get down there than the video suggests. I'm with you John it is the scariest piece of road I've been on.
Thanks again John, I'll look at that link often, hopefully until it stops making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and stops the goose pimples.

george...

Offline badger

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 12:57:15 AM »
Ha ha, great video, confirmed everything I ever thought in the first place!

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 09:19:59 PM »
That bit of road is fun to drive, both up and down, although the tightness of the turns slows it down a bit (handbrake turns aren't the same in a Toyota Yaris compared to more powerful machinery!) and the infilling has made it far less of a challenge. The views are brilliant though.

Offline Cabbyman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »
Yup!