Author Topic: Plakias Lending Library  (Read 9592 times)

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:25:34 PM »
Plakias Lending Library is north of the centre of the village in the valley of the river that comes in through the gorge between Mirthios and Selia, the two villages that overlook Plakias.
Following signs to Plakias Youth Hostel from the village will help you find the library since it is just a few metres further north.
It is marked on the
Plakias Map, a link to which can be found in the top right corner of this page, or you can use this
Google Maps link.

These are the latest opening hours for the Plakias Lending Library:
09:30 - 12:30 on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
17:00 - 19:30 on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
These times were valid from 29th April 2007 until 30th September 2007 but may well be similar in the future.

If it is not possible for you to return borrowed books to the library they can be left at any of the following places:
Alianthos Car Hire, Joe's bar (Nufaro), the Livicon Hotel bar (opposite the taxi rank) or at the Plakias Youth Hostel.

Library postal address: Poste Restante, Plakias, Finikas 74060, Crete, Greece.

Library global coordinates: N35.19394 E24.39581

Library staff as at late September 2007:
Eddie: Chief Executive and Chief Cataloguer.
Alan: Assistant Chief Executive and Assistant Chief Cataloguer.
Lynne: Librarian.
Femke: Librarian.
Andy: Janitor.
Mike: Estate Manager.
Alan: Recruitment, Traning and H.R. Manager.
Phil: Librarian.

A second extension to the library was built in early 2007, this time running across the back of the original building.
It can just be seen in this picture taken at the library on 30th September 2007 on the occasion of the Saint Jerome's day party:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:40:40 AM by compage »
John Page

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 02:14:20 PM »
Some useful information John. In times of not over-generous weight limits for hold luggage, knowing books can be borrowed in the town will appeal to many.

How does the library operate, i.e. do you pay to join or pay per borrowing? What sort of selection of books do they have?

Mike

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:39:29 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Some useful information John. In times of not over-generous weight limits for hold luggage, knowing books can be borrowed in the town will appeal to many.

How does the library operate, i.e. do you pay to join or pay per borrowing? What sort of selection of books do they have?

Mike
The library does not charge borrowers.
It is funded by the donations made by visitors and by the efforts of those who run the library, mostly ex-pats and mostly British.
Visitors can enjoy coffee or wine provided by the library but are encouraged to make a donation to help defray costs.

The library has thousands of fiction, non-fiction and reference books in various languages including but not limited to English, German and Czech.
John Page

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 10:25:47 AM »
Quote from: compage
Quote from: Mike G

Mike
The library does not charge borrowers.
It is funded by the donations made by visitors and by the efforts of those who run the library, mostly ex-pats and mostly British.
Visitors can enjoy coffee or wine provided by the library but are encouraged to make a donation to help defray costs.

The library has thousands of fiction, non-fiction and reference books in various languages including but not limited to English, German and Czech.

The library does indeed have a fantastic selection in lots of different languages our German friends get all their books from there too. The best thing is that you can borrow and return on your next trip if you don't finish it!!

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Library re-opens on Sun.5th July,
A bit of a party, so be there
The NEW library is just a little way past the Youth Hostel & the old library,
But now they have a bigger site,
with electricity and therefor a fridge

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:55:58 PM »
Yippee!
John Page

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:39:47 PM »
The new library is at N35.19580 E24.39608 so not as far south as it used to be but is probably still the most southerly in Europe.
From the old library you go further along the track and then left over a little stream running in a concrete bed across the track.
The new library is on the right inside a fenced compound with parking space under trees.
Click
here to see the location in Google Maps.

The main staff members are still as shown above but I failed to get the names of all the current librarians, sorry.

Winter opening times started from 27sep09 and are 10:30 to 12:30 each Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Summer times are as in the top message and are likely to start in late April 2010.

If it is not possible for you to return borrowed books to the library they can be left at any of the following places:
Alianthos Car Hire, Joe's bar (Nufaro), the Livicon Hotel bar (opposite the taxi rank) or at the Plakias Youth Hostel.

Library postal address: Poste Restante, Plakias, Finikas 74060, Crete, Greece.

Here are some pictures taken at the library:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:06:32 PM by compage »
John Page

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:35:04 AM »
Black wine??

george...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »
It avoids being racist George !

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »
Considering the ridicuous outcry over Du Bekes comment last week Barny I'm not going anywhere near that subject. Not on here anyway, I've got a funny at home you might like I'll send it on tonight.

george...

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plakias Lending Library
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »
I look forward to it George !

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?