Author Topic: Fix  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
Fix
« on: September 21, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
Not sure if Fix has been mentioned before but I am sure the hardened drinkers in the forum will know all about it. It is a Greek 5% Premium Lager Beer introduced in 1864 but this is the first year we have noticed it. Here in Sougia & earlier in Paleochora. Like Mythos it goes down well after a hot day on the beach. I believe it went out of production many years ago but is now making a come back.
Stuart

Offline Rogataber

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Fix
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
Not sure if Fix has been mentioned before but I am sure the hardened drinkers in the forum will know all about it. It is a Greek 5% Premium Lager Beer introduced in 1864 but this is the first year we have noticed it. Here in Sougia & earlier in Paleochora. Like Mythos it goes down well after a hot day on the beach. I believe it went out of production many years ago but is now making a come back.
Stuart

I am not entirely sure but we used to drink Fix when we first went to Greece in 1978. I think it was brewed in Athens but a few years later went bust. After a while it was subject to a management buy-out but after a few years went bust again. After a while it was subject to a worker's buy-out but then yet again went bust. It disappeared but has in the last few years re-immerged! It's quite nice!  Roger

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
A drop of good stuff, I drank it at Antonis this year in the sun etc etc etc

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »
The Panorama taverna in Mythios stocks Fix, ok, but I prefer Mythos!
With regard to Red Wine, Mouses's house used to be good but they changed it a few years ago and also stopped chilling it. ( light Red chilled is much better in hot climates IMO) Gio-Mar also has a very nice red, it reminds me of a Chillean Merlot!

Offline kayisi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
Stuart

Fix was the only Greek beer we saw available when we first started visiting in the late 70's.  I can't remember when they went belly up though even though it came as a shock to find it no longer available.  It was the on to the Double Dutch ale (Amstel & Prasini) until Mythos was introduced to be followed a few years later by Alpha. 

I have a feeling that another Greek one appeared for a short time before disappearing but I can't for the life of me think what it was called.  Can anyone else think what is was or is my mind playing tricks with me again?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:52:09 AM by kayisi »

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »
We started visiting much much later than you Kayisi but I believe it was a brand called Gold. According to Wiki, Mythos is a subsidiary of Carlsberg.

Stuart

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »
We started visiting much much later than you Kayisi but I believe it was a brand called Gold. According to Wiki, Mythos is a subsidiary of Carlsberg.

Stuart
There was a brand called Henninger available in the 80s and I saw it again last year after a gap of several years. German I think.

I never think there is a lot to choose between Mythos and Amstel, although I don't claim to be a lager expert.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:50:41 PM by Mike G »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »
I remember a beer called 'Zorbas'

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline LinR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
I noticed last week  in Palegremnos that the beer glasses were called 'Zorba' there was Mythos in mine - and very nice it was too!

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »
Amstel, in my humble opinion, takes some beating! We were in Plakias from the 14 - 21 September and I tried a lot of them every night, all good, but I preffered the Amstel

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Fix
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Amstel is one of the Lagers I hate the taste of. Mythos however is a whole other ball game and is my Lager of choice in Greece. Fix was hugely popular in the 60's and 70's. We used to say we were off for our Fix and get a Fix :-)   Sadly not as good as I remember.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »
I am sure I have read somewhere that  'FIX' is actually a greek royal name, perhaps a kings name....

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 06:27:33 AM »
Noticed last night that Fix was serve to our neighbouring table in Medousa.

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »
I am enjoying Fix for a change but Taverna tables are still dominaed by the Mythos lager.
A shortened version from Wiki: The Fix brewery was founded in 1864 by Johann Karl Fuchs in Athens,  This became the first major brewery in Greece. His father had started brewing the beer in Athens 30 years earlier in 1834. His father had come to Greece from Bavaria with King Otto, as his official brewer.
FIX became synonymous with beer in Greece, enjoying a virtual monopoly in the country for about 100 years until the mid-1960s. It lost first place in the Greek market in 1973 and continued to decline until 1983, when it went out of business.
A FIX legacy is its historic industrial buildings throughout the country.
In 2010, FIX beer was again available. The relaunched beer has a new label, with references to the gold medals and prizes won by the original FIX beer. An aggressive advertising campaign, with references to the strong historic legacy of FIX beer in the Greek society, has dramatically boosted sales, effectively leading to a strong comeback of the brand.
Ownership and usage of the historic trademark has been a source of conflict; there are Fix Beers brewed in the United States and in Canada which claim to use the Fix recipes.
Stuart

Offline kayisi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
Assuming, for once, that everything written in Wiki is accurate that is an interesting resume Stuart. 

I know I enjoyed it during my daily visits to Argo earlier in the month.  I think it has a cleaner taste than Mythos.  Welcome back Fix!