login

Author Topic: Loutro  (Read 2824 times)

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
Loutro
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:18:17 PM »
Are there ferries that go from Sfakia to Loutro in October? Most timetables seem to expire in September although I imagine there must still be trips available to supply the locals that live there. Anyone been in October, and if so can you recommend accommodation there.
Είναι Ελλάδα έτσι δεν είναι

Offline triton

• View Profile
Re: Loutro
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »
I am sure the little white boat that goes from Hora Sfakia harbour goes to Loutro, it drops people off at Sweetwater Beach on the way.
Usually leaves at 10.15am returning around 6pm

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:11 PM »
That sounds promising although we intend to stay at least one night in Loutro. Will have to keep an eye on the weather as we don't want to stay a week if it gets windy!

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 06:53:36 AM »
We went in October 2012 for the day with the ferry.  There are still several ferries a day in October, probably not as many as in summer, but enough if you want to stay for a night.  Beautiful village.  Hugo

Offline Stuart & Hilary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:32:37 AM »
October is excellent. We always spend a week there early October & there are plenty of ferries. The taxi boats plus the larger ferries that serve the Samaria gorge, Sougia & Paleohora.
The weather is cooler which makes walking more pleasant & generally speaking the beach is wind free. With regards to walking in the hills then it is worth reading the Sfakia forum where there is tragic news of a French couple who died from heat exhaustion last week. There is also much useful advice on walking in the heat.

Stuart

Offline happyashellas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:15:10 PM »
Terrible to think something like this can happen to a couple who were just out enjoying their life whilst on holiday. We do like getting out and about but know our limitations only too well. Thoughts are with this poor family at this tragic time.

Offline Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »
If you are staying for one night just take a small bag and a few clothes for the nightime. You can walk there or back to Sfakia if the ferries are off due to weather. I have been at the start of October and was pretty quiet.

Tragic news if a couple have died. I have only had a problem once but that was a huge solo day out from O'Plantanos in Anopolis to the top of Pachnes and back. Was far too long a walk to carry enough water for. Nearly resorted to the manky water in the old wells up on the approach to Pachnes.