Author Topic: Plakias Far end, what's there now (summer 2020)?  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
Plakias Far end, what's there now (summer 2020)?
« on: August 11, 2020, 04:11:48 PM »
I have just had a look on the web cam and can't see any sunbeds/parasols at the far end at all (maybe it's my eyes)? Does anyone know if any are there this summer? I can see a set of beds nearer towards the web cam but nothing further up.

Also, last year lots of small rocks and boulders were washed up along the shore line at the far end, making for tricky access to the sea. Does anyone know if they have washed away to make for a nice sandy walk into the sea? It was okay there is 2016 and 2017 but not in 2019.

Thanks (I'm still looking for deals this September but nothing is looking discounted yet).

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Plakias Far end, what's there now (summer 2020)?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »
Hi Andrew,

There are sunbeds at the Far End, fewer than previously and distanced from each other.  When we were there they seldom became more than half full anyway, but hopefully for Plakias things will get busier.  6 Euros for two beds and an umbrella, 4 Euros for one.  There were very few UK visitors in Plakias when we were there at the end of July.

The sea edge is sandy again and better than last year, and the sea is shallow for much further than usual.

I hope you get your bargain! We travelled independently, Manchester to Chania.

Offline Peter G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »
Hi arnaki, pleased you had a nice relaxing week. We are still hoping to make it on 8th September,  Manchester to Chania jet2. In a way we wish we could have travelled earlier before the second wave but we decided to stick with our usual dates. How soon did you fill in your Greek travel form before your date of travel, and did they only send the code after midnight on the actual day, seems to be cutting it a bit fine? We aren't looking forward to travelling so far in our facemasks but know our beloved Plakias is well worth it. Any tips re the airports, flights etc? Yamas!

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 12:53:25 PM »
Hi Peter, What is this code you mentioned to Arnaki I havn,t heard of this is there some kind of form to fill in before traveling. We are due to fly out to heraklion on the 8th October I seem to be missing something. Hate to miss Plakias on a stupid mistake.

Offline Peter G

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 01:17:29 PM »
Every traveller to Greece has to fill in an online form stating things like date of travel and where you will be staying. Apparently once this is accepted by the Greek authorities they send you a personal code at midnight on the date of travel. It sounds as though each family member or partner needs a code. This code must be shown at all airports including our own.
I havent actually seen the form yet as we dont travel till the 8th September but I was wondering when to fill this in.

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 01:30:16 PM »
All the advice is on the UK Government website. This includes links to the form as well as Greek government advice.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/greece/entry-requirements

We are planning to travel on Sept 5th, but have not done the form yet, as things seem to be changing quickly.

I have seen reports of people using the system with no problem - and other who have not completed the form being turned away from UK airports.
John - Ostraco

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 12:10:25 PM »
I only booked the holiday a week before, so completed the forms a few days before travel. I got the QR codes just after 10pm UK time, midnight Greek time. At that time it was a form each, now I believe you fill in one for each household, but that there has been confusion on the airlines' part about this. Any number of threads on TripAdvisor!
Manchester Airport is probably busier now than when we flew, judging by the planes going over our house now.   Chania departing our Jet2 flight was the only one departing so we had the terminal to ourselves. The flight out was full, returning we had some empty seats around us. Jet2 handled it well. No queueing for toilets allowed, masks enforced, but allowed to take them off for food and drink of course. We took several cloth masks with us and changed them when we felt a bit uncomfortable. I actually found my chest felt a lot better for having worn a mask on the flight. The taxi back to Chania was on a very hot day and we had had a good meal, so our breath was hot! We checked in then went outside and took off our masks for a bit and put on a new one.
Take wipes and hand sanitiser and go for it! I was worried about the journey before we went, but it was fine.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 12:12:15 PM »
Oh and don't forget to fill in the return to UK form no earlier than 48 hours before. We completed them on the Monday morning for a Tuesday 2310 flight.

Offline Peter G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 12:31:18 PM »
Thanks for all your help Arnaki. You say people can take off their masks for food and drink, but doesnt this negate the whole idea of protection cos we keep reading that masks dont protect the wearer from incoming germs, but they prevent the wearer from spreading them. Suppose we all have to  hope that anybody eating and drinking for long periods doesnt have the virus. Doh!
Also, is the return travel form also online?

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »
We waited for everyone to finish the food and drink from the trolley round, then quickly ate our Boots meal deal sandwiches.   Everyone around us took their masks off for the shortest time possible, as I think everyone was thinking the same as you.

The UK form is online. No one asked for it, just whether we had completed it. I assume it gets linked to your passport. I was worried as we couldn't print the form or find it on my phone download, but no problem.
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/public-health-passenger-locator-form

Offline jerichrome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 10:19:02 AM »
We just got back from Crete. Spend quite a few days in Plakias over the last 3 weeks.
Far end was quite bussy in the last week after 15 august. Fewer umbrellas and chairs then other years, only saw it full on monday the 16th, even the donut man was out of stock.
Other days there were still chairs available.
Apostolis said it was not as bad as he tought it was. he hoped that the season would last a little longer this year.