Author Topic: October ?  (Read 8896 times)

Offline Peter G

• View Profile
Re: October ?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 08:32:10 PM »
We are still geared up to fly tomorrow afternoon and will be happy to do so, according to people who are there Plakias sounds a lot safer than UK. Obviously everyone's particulars will vary but now we are retired we have no problem re quarantining. In fact, l half wish that Greece had been put on "the list" much sooner, it might have prevented some of the younger travellers from spreading the virus throughout the islands.
Hope you can return to Plakias next year.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 10:32:27 PM »
We too are both retired now for some 20 years.

Our flights for this year are now re scheduled for June and September next year and we hope and pray that things improve, a vaccine is found, we can make those flights.

But things will have to improve dramatically before we can be confident enough to board a plane for a 4 hour + flight to Crete when we can not be sure of our fellow passengers medical condition.
This pandemic is by no means over and some people's attitudes to this virus worry us.
So we avoid personal contact and obey distancing guidance at all times.

The few weeks quarantine on return to England is not the point for us.

It is the threat of spreading the virus on our return to other non involved, elderly family members which exercises our minds.

But that is only our take on this very, very complex problem.
Each of you will have your own views on this and whether or not it is safe or advisable to travel abroad this year.
You will make your own individual decisions based on your own take on what you see and what you read and hear and understand and what your consider that best course of action should be for your individual situation.
That decision will then be be one which you can be comfortable and you can act accordingly.
And for you that decision will then be correct.

We have made our choice .
And we are more than happy to forgo this years holidays for the chance of more holidays in Plakias in future years.

But it still hurts that by tomorrow evening we should be enjoying a meal at Gio Mar !!

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 09:02:55 AM »
I know that we will not be in Plakias in September this year, but is the end of month local festival still planned or will the Covid  restrictions mean that it has to be cancelled ?

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 10:25:13 AM »
Still on for the 20th. Tui cancelled our flight with Olympic, so our stay at Sofia Hotels gone. (16 week wait for refund)
So got very reasonable flights out with Jet2 and back with Easyjet, Car hires booked, and 23 nights at Castello arranged.
Nothing else can possibly upset our plans can it?   

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »
It looks like our holiday on October first will have to be scrapped if Crete remains on the No non-essential travel advisory from the FCOD, as our insurance would be invalidated. No problems quarantining, but the insurance side of things makes it a no go. Easyjet still flying those dates, so no chance of a refund, possibly only vouchers for next year, which we might not be able to use, so we selfishly are looking to easyjet to cancel all flights, then we get a refund, as we did when our June Greek holiday was cancelled (Kalamata).
All the best to everyone in Plakias, after over 20 years going there I hope I can get there again soon as I have not said my goodbyes.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2020, 04:24:33 PM »
Staysure is offering cover for places where FO advises against travel due to COVID and also covering you for COVID etc,

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2020, 10:58:29 AM »
Easyjet have cancelled our flights, so we are getting a refund, limited availability to Crete on other dates, and at a much higher cost, so that, together with needing to quarantine makes Crete a no go, such a pity, never missed a year yet to Plakias. However, my grey matter has been hard at it to work out how to get to Greece this year as we love it, and my ouzo stocks are dangerously low, so Kalamata area looks possible for similar dates, though only 9 nights, no need to quarantine (at the moment) but we were due to go there in June then it was cancelled, so might get another crack at it, just hoping the early October weather will be as good as southern Crete.

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2020, 01:20:44 PM »
Got the same news myself blown out of the water again. Car booked at airport in Heraklion. Other flights not suitable , like you get the money back have a rethink.

Offline greek1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
looks like easyjet are trimming their schedule. Our Tuesday Edinburgh return fight has just been cancelled grrr. But have managed to re-book a sat to sat holiday. so fingers crossed, don't want to miss my visit to kastro and that fantastic view. Anyone looking for insurance try battleface.com. They provide cover even if the fco is advising against travel

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2020, 01:08:39 PM »
well we have given up on getting back to Plakias this year Easyjet have allowed us to transfer our booking to next April for the Greek easter so will just have to wait until then. What with Thomas Cooke then Easyjet and the pandemic will us aficionados of Plakias ever get back there.