login

Author Topic: Observered imbalance  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Oxart

• View Profile
    • Email
Observered imbalance
« on: June 08, 2019, 02:30:18 AM »
Just returned from the wonderful retreat that is Plakias, my tenth visit in fifteen years. I couldn’t help noticing what had used to be a really mixed community of visitors has now become quite populated by many German visitors, not that I have any opposition to the German folk, my partner is German!
I am just wondering if there is a particular push from tourist operators in Germany to focus on Plakias?
Plakias for me has always been a wonderful small town where it’s own spirits have been the greatest asset, the diversity of its visitors was also of great appeal.
Has anyone else noticed this development or did my latest visit simply coincide with a German holiday week?

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
Re: Observered imbalance
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
I last visited in 2017 June 10th for a week and thought there were more German people and of an older age group than the year before at the end of June. I go on Tuesday 11th June so will keep an ear out for the voices...Ya.

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 01:17:11 PM »
I would guess that 70 to 80 percent of tourists are German here, and have been for quite a few years, Olympic not doing transfers and the general decline in british tour operators willing to use Plakias as the 2hrs from the airport puts a lot of people off I think, but this is also the reason it has largely stayed unchanged and has a lot slower progress of mass tourism than a lot of of other destinations nearer to the airports on the north side, also the big hotels such as Hapimag and Calypso Rocks are mainly German occupants, and they love the nudist beaches in the area, I don't think it is a bad thing I like the Germans dare I say more than the british visitors except people from this forum or course :)

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
I have noticed over the last couple of years a big drop in Dutch people there, especially after the Dutch bar opposite the Bus stop closed, and there seems a awful lot of Russians now

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 04:46:02 AM »
My wife this year that nearly all the books in our accommodation's small 'Library' were in German

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 04:06:02 PM »
Maybe, but I cant tell what all the different languages are.  In our favourite eatery I know there were regular visitors from Canada, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Ireland, England and of course Scotland.