login

Author Topic: Car hire  (Read 8566 times)

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Car hire
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 09:35:21 AM »
Firstly please go with a local Plakias company the tourists are down this year, and any help you can give local companies will be gratefully received,, Harris at Moto Plakias will sort you out a car for collection at the airport ,if it is late at night asmost UK flights are all you have to do is get the orange shuttle bus and a 1min drive to pick up the keys the paperwork will be done the next day at the office in Plakias, avoid Gold Car I had some friends that when they got home were charged over a 1000 euros on there credit card for so called damage to the car, lucky the guy had taken photos time stamped and could prove no such damage occurred it still took them many months to get a refund!
Also be aware that some car hire companies based at the airport close at 10pm again I had some friends coming over to see us and the flight was delayed from 9pm to 11pm when they rang the hire company to explain they would be running late they were told that the office would be closed and it was not possible to collect the car they would have to get a taxi into Chania find a hotel for the night and return the next day to pick up the car, I also rang them to try to arrange a alternative but they simply were not interested in helping and said come back the next day, needless to say I drove to Chania  picked up my friends and arranged a car hire with Moto Plakias the next day.
The rates are good but for maybe a few euros more does it relay matter if it saves you a lot of hassle to get a car from someone you can trust.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 12:18:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I am going to look at Moto Plakias, and I presume from the comments that they offer the full insurance to cover glass and tyres, mirrors without excess to pay.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »
Moto Plakias has a website but only a telephone number. I need to choose and arrange something to collect at the airport. With all the details showing first.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
I have used Moto Plakias for many years and never had a problem.  They reply to emails promptly an provide a reliable service.

If you don’t fancy driving after the flight they offer transfers too.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 11:57:27 PM »
It looks like I am jumping on someone else's forum post here but hopefully all this is good for those that need to drive to Plakias now (re./e.g. Olympic no longer offering those transfers).
Interesting point on the transfer option, which would be good if dark, however I have booked a day flight from a local airport (a little more expensive than usual). So, I can drive from the airport but require 10 days hire whilst having nine nights stay due to flight times (I also get nine full days on holiday too). The extra day's car hire is probably cheaper than the one way transfer so I feel it is best to have the car for the arrival and enjoy the afternoon drive (personal choice but will be an experience).
I also note on the website (Moto Auto Plakias S.A.) that there is no option to contact them by email, or are they updating the site at present...I wonder?

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 05:56:25 AM »
Harris at Moto Plakias email address is : maplakia@otenet.gr
I will have a word with him and let him know that he needs to put this on his website.
If anyone wants detailed directions from Chania airport to Plakias message me as I have done one for visitors to our house, I am sure most of you have been many times but if you have used a transfer service / taxi you are not always looking the where you are going and what roads to take !

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 12:16:24 PM »
Harris at Moto Plakias email address is : maplakia@otenet.gr
Thanks, I'll send a message and get a price.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 11:32:53 AM »
Fingers crossed, I have just sent off my form to Haris (Moto Plakias) for the hire car. He stated it was a Panda for E27 per day, which I believe is the slightly better small car (the last one I hired in Kos last year was a Suzuki Alto small car)? I paid E26 per day in Kos and was not sure if the insurance fully covered me but Haris states that this policy is full. I always panic when driving when the mirror could hit the bushes on the side of the road. I am always thinking there could be a sting of a bill for scratches at the end of the holiday.

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
Harris is a very fair guy and would never trump up costs at the end of the hire if anything he would go the other way, unless you have an argument with a large rock or something I am sure your car hire cost will be exactly as you expected.
Enjoy your time here !

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
Everything is booked with Haris and Moto Auto Plakias, and I have the details.
I am hoping it is a Fiat Panda as stated (as have never driven one before) and they are slightly higher price on the other sites than the most basic small car. The initial daytime journey is 71 miles from the airport to Plakias so the more comfy the ride the better.
Here comes the sun....

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 03:40:54 PM »
Good to use a Plakias firm. However this year we are again hiring a VW Polo from Autoway at exactly the same price you quote. Absolutely everything insured with zero excess. Used them (and Polos) for 10+ years and find Autoway  super reliable and super helpful. Autoway head office at Rethymnon but have hire car facilities at both airports.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 04:38:38 PM »
I used Moto Auto Plakias, and was met at the airport by Haris's brother on arrival and departure. This helped me greatly for the first time hiring a car. Haris also gave me a gift of a tin of his own grown olive oil (how nice). I did about 430k all holiday including the airport run and return and actually put in 43 Euros of fuel (so 10 Euros per 100K). The car was a suitable little Fiat Panda which was great for getting up the hills, very recommended.
Thanks all.