Author Topic: Cheapest way to phone home?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cheapest way to phone home?
« on: September 02, 2005, 05:38:02 PM »
Can anyone tell us whether the public payphones in Plakias are still working? Last year some, if not most of the ones I tried didn't work. As more and more people use their mobiles I was concerned that the public payphones might have been left to rot. Alternatively, is there anywhere in Plakias to buy a SIM card for a Greek network? (I'm told that should work out cheaper than my UK PAYG SIM).

Thanks

Offline beachcombers

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 06:53:27 PM »
Hi Graham and Karen,

We noticed the telephone opposite Livicon (We stayed there the first 3 days) frequently used last May.
We assume this phone is used to call a taxi when there is no taxi waiting there.
This phone might be the only one maintained for this purpose.
Kind regards
beachcombers

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 08:04:57 PM »
Hi Graham and Karen

The phone boxes seem to work most of the time, although sometimes you do have to go to a couple of phones to find one that works.

I understand that Plakias Market and Peristerakis now both cell SIM cards.

The cheapest way to phone home now is by using one of the new phone cards where you phone a free phone number and enter a PIN number.  They quite often offer special deals and you can sometimes get 1 hour for 3 euro.

Ali

P.S. pleased to hear that you are coming out.  See you soon.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 08:06:24 PM by Ali & Dave »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 09:49:24 PM »
Hi Graham and Karen

The phone boxes seem to work most of the time, although sometimes you do have to go to a couple of phones to find one that works.

I understand that Plakias Market and Peristerakis now both cell SIM cards.

The cheapest way to phone home now is by using one of the new phone cards where you phone a free phone number and enter a PIN number.  They quite often offer special deals and you can sometimes get 1 hour for 3 euro.

Ali

P.S. pleased to hear that you are coming out.  See you soon.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Ali - good to know that the payphone is an option. I have checked the internet for a PIN activated phonecard - 7p/min seems to be the cheapest  [a href=\"http://www.card4anywhere.com/]card4anywhere[/url]

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 08:11:39 AM »
One further question on Greek sims - I would want to choose a network where the sim stayed enabled even if you didn't use it for months or even a year. Some PAYG sims eg vodafone lock the sim if you don't make at least one call every 180 days (I think).
Any suggestions on the best network to choose?

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 12:36:17 PM »
I now know that the card I bought off the internet (from 1st4Phonecards.com) doesn't work from the cardphones in Plakias. It might work from the coin payphones but not worth trying as you can by a Smile card from Ali and Dave's that worked a treat. 45mins for 3 Euro when phoning a landline. About 10 minutes when phoning a mobile.