login

Author Topic: Ok, 2021, lets go !!  (Read 15247 times)

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ok, 2021, lets go !!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2021, 10:27:10 AM »
Great to hear some news of Plakias although sadly we have missed both last year and this year, down to the pandemic shambles. Hoping to get back for next Greek Easter. Development of the front along from Alianthos to the far end doesn't sound good, hopefully Skinos beach end will stay much as it was, even allowing for the enormous wall and extra width road outside On The Rocks which I have seen on Nikos' website and facebook pages, but at least Nikos won't have to balance the pick up on the edge of the road anymore! We love Skinos beach, the bar, Siroko, the sunset and the dinosaur.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2021, 05:38:31 PM »
Funny that you say that .
We are heading to eat at Siroco in about half an hour
It has been closed for the first few days that we have been here but re opened last night.
Looking forward to it !!!

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »
Thanks Daniel. We're both double vaccinated too so the test at the medical centre should do us. Disappointing to hear about the further development on the front, makes you wonder how many supermarkets Plakias needs!

Offline DandC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »

Offline DandC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2021, 11:37:05 AM »
Tripadvisor says Tav Corali is closed till 2022! Can anyone confirm please?

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2021, 06:13:04 PM »
Yes it is closed at the moment
Don?t know for how long ?

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 06:32:08 AM »
Made it!  All in all a very straight forward trip on EasyJet from Edinburgh.  No major queues at Edinburgh and Heraklion was a dream.

The plane was about half full and we arrived half an hour early.

Probably the least stressful trip I?ve ever had.  So if you?re having doubts about travelling just now I?d say go for it.  A bit breezy this morning but set to get hot at the weekend.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2021, 09:16:16 AM »
May 2021, resort was quiet, felt very different in some ways, wonder if the new hotel has brought a change in attitude. During May (and last October) it felt as if a conscious decision had been made to use English, rather than Greek, greetings and farewells in many tavernas, but maybe that was chance.

Our plane also not anywhere near full, Heraklion not as quiet as I expected but still better than other years (bar 2020?).

Test, at the medical centre to the right, on the road out of the village to Lefkogia, was EUR20 and had our results (thankfully -ve!) in 15 mins; filled in the form on their website before we went and all was very smooth.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:20:35 AM by Richard »

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »
Great to hear some news of Plakias although sadly we have missed both last year and this year, down to the pandemic shambles. Hoping to get back for next Greek Easter. Development of the front along from Alianthos to the far end doesn't sound good, hopefully Skinos beach end will stay much as it was, even allowing for the enormous wall and extra width road outside On The Rocks which I have seen on Nikos' website and facebook pages, but at least Nikos won't have to balance the pick up on the edge of the road anymore! We love Skinos beach, the bar, Siroko, the sunset and the dinosaur.

I still enjoyed Skinos Beach in May - love it, overlooked it for years - and I didn?t miss dodging the traffic by On The Rocks! Change to road etc not as bad as I thought it might be

Offline DandC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2021, 12:47:43 PM »
Hope to go to Plakias next weekend, so glad to be spared the minor hassle of a departure test in Plakias :). Alas we're back before the PCR 'day 2' test is scrapped/replaced (on Oct 22?), so still have to fork out for that one  :(

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2021, 02:57:49 PM »
Hi Dand
Don't you mean Oct 2nd when changes take place.

Offline DandC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
My understanding is the test in Plakias 2-3 days before leaving Crete is scrapped from Oct 1 but the PCR to be takes within 2 days of arrival back in UK is only being scrapped/changed later - on Oct 22?

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »
End of term report :
First of all, we have had a lovely 2 week holiday in Plakias with George at Creta Mare.
We have had to wait 2 years for it ,so the return was all the more welcome.
We are delighted that we took the time and effort ( and leap of faith ) and returned to Crete .

Positives:
Jet 2 flights from Leeds Bradford with Jet 2 were excellent. Plane barely half full going out but 90 pc full coming back.
Car hire good and as usual accommodation at Creta Mare was first class.
Weather was very good for mid September.
Just one afternoon of rain but otherwise good.
But towards the end of the holiday there were 4 very hot days ( and nights !!) with temperatures up into the mid 30 deg.
Unusual for so late in the season ?
The general discipline of mask uses and social distancing was well observed and particularly so by the European visitors.
Made us feel more at ease outside and inside Tavernas in Plakias than it does sometimes in England.
The welcome that we received from Taverna owners was warm and genuine.
They are really pleased to see old faces back in town after so long away.

Changes :
And I record these without comment :
The road outside Creta Mare and On the Rocks has been doubled in width to allow proper off road parking.
A huge concrete retaining wall has been built at the back of the beach to support this.
I am told that this work is planned to continue next year all the way to the new harbour and even on towards Souda but who knows ?
A brand new huge Supermarket has been built on the spare land opposite the existing supermarket.
It fronts onto the sea front and attracts trade from those on the beach or those traveling along the beach road.
Building work on the sea front continues at pace.
Some good.
Some not so good.
From Antonios Place to the far end is now built up.
How long before the rest also goes this way ?
I remember this when it was all fields !!
When coaches came in for the day, the first Taverna offered free sun beds with a meal.
This has moved on.
Now, the Hotel has put tables into the wooded area and serves snacks and meals from there.
There are also tables on the sea front outside some other cafes and hotels also serving food and drinks.
The number of cars and visitors coming into town for the day has increased a lot.
Parking towards the far end is now at a premium .
The whole resort was very busy for the time of year.
Accommodation mostly full.
Tavernas full and booking essential at our favourite ones and at a reasonable time.
The owners say that the second half of 2021 is at least 10 pc busier then 2019.
Needless to say, they are delighted by this.
The mix of nationalities is very different this year.
Probably 80 pc European with the vast majority from Germany.
But also French, Dutch and Italian visitors there.
Very few Britain voices heard .

Eating out :
We used our usual Tavernas of Sirocco, Lysseus, Geo Ma and of course Sifies.
All we excellent but to our mind, Lysseus offers the best quality of food and the best choice of food.
And a special mention to a new addition :
On the newly made up road from Souda to Rodekio, a new small pop up Cantina Foinikias has opened.
Well worth a visit if passing that way.

Airports:
Going out with Jet 2 from Leeds Bradford was very good and well organised.
We had all the correct paperwork in place so no problems passing through here or in Iraklion.
But coming home was not as good.
All our required details were stored on our iPhones.
But there is no internet connection at the Jet 2 check in at Iraklion. Why is this so Jet 2 ?
Luckily help was available to sort things out but it took an awful lot of time and effort.
Our advice would be to take a photo shot of any forms or paperwork or store then on the iPhone where they can be easily accessed.
But best of all, take a paper copy !!
Arrival at Leeds Bradford was just the opposite.
Just have to show your passport
Every thing then comes up on their screen and no need to show any other documents.

We are now back home.
We have booked flights next year for early June and early September.
So we wait and see what next year will bring us.

Offline ian s

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2021, 02:12:25 PM »
I?m still here Daniel and pretty much agree all your sentiments.  A bit cooler today and supposedly to drop to low 20s tomorrow with a little rain.

In the 30+ years I?ve been coming I?ve never known Plakias be so busy and as you say cars everywhere. I wonder if due to COVID people are choosing smaller resorts and avoiding the big hotels on the north coast?

Also agree about Lysseos - been there every night.  The one thing that hasn?t changed one little bit over the years.  The heart and soul of Plakias.

Offline conway s

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »
Hi Daniel
the road to Rodikino from Souda where do you pick up the road in Souda is it near the taverna. This is good news as it will save time instead of going through the mountains. Me and my wife go to Rodikino every year its so peaceful.