Author Topic: Save the Cretan Landscape  (Read 2964 times)

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Save the Cretan Landscape
« on: April 06, 2008, 05:58:07 PM »
not from me, but taken from Erno's site and worth signing I think

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am the co-author of the book The making of the Cretan landscape. As you know the landscape of Crete is its greatest tourist attraction. There are now numerous proposals to build Golf courses on Crete to attract more tourists. This does not make sense: to destroy the stunning natural landscape for a homogenized, artificial one. The case of Cavo Sidero/ Itanos Peninsula in NE Crete where the famous oasis of Vai is, is particularly alarming. I have a petition to stop the construction of this golf resort:

Save the Cretna landscape

The Greek Supreme Court hearing for this development is May 9th, there is not much time. Can you help and promote this petition on your website?

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Jenny
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 05:59:11 PM by harribobs »

Offline DocMan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:48:29 PM »
Hi,

I have visited Crete and marveled at it's beauty.  This golf course plan is a travesty.

I am a filmmaker and am interested in the possibility of making a film about this.  What I really need is a passionate character (preferably indigenous local, but necessarily) who is opposed to the golf course and is doing something about it that is inspiring others.  

If you or someone you know is this character, please email me to see if we can cooperate.  

If commissioned, (very good chance) this would be broadcast on a national public broadcaster so exposure would be very good.  We can move quite fast and could possibly cover the May 9th decision if someone can reply soon.

Thanks,  Ken

Quote from: harribobs
not from me, but taken from Erno's site and worth signing I think

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am the co-author of the book The making of the Cretan landscape. As you know the landscape of Crete is its greatest tourist attraction. There are now numerous proposals to build Golf courses on Crete to attract more tourists. This does not make sense: to destroy the stunning natural landscape for a homogenized, artificial one. The case of Cavo Sidero/ Itanos Peninsula in NE Crete where the famous oasis of Vai is, is particularly alarming. I have a petition to stop the construction of this golf resort:

Save the Cretna landscape

The Greek Supreme Court hearing for this development is May 9th, there is not much time. Can you help and promote this petition on your website?

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Jenny

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:15:17 AM »
''If commissioned, (very good chance) this would be broadcast on a national public broadcaster so exposure would be very good.  We can move quite fast and could possibly cover the May 9th decision if someone can reply soon.

Thanks,  Ken''

I wish you luck Ken, look forward to seeing it.

george g...