login

Author Topic: Water sports  (Read 4907 times)

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Water sports
« on: August 20, 2016, 12:18:21 PM »
Hi......not sure but I'm pretty sure there was a jet ski whizzing across the bay on the webcams this morning. I thought they were banned from Plakias Bay (especially near the beaches) for safety reasons and because of the fine film of diesel they leave on the water that threatens the Blue Flag beach status - I know it was 'orrible swimming through that a few years ago when a visiting jet skier was seen off. Anyone any idea if they've been allowed back ?

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Water sports
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »
Your eyes were not deceiving you. There are three jet skis I think. There are buoys out in attempt to keep swimmers and jet skiers apart, but this limits the free water for swimmers, and the jets circle round in the small harbour, close to boats. I agree that it doesn't seem compatible with blue flag staus. However I suppose people are trying to make money in difficult times. The only problem is that it can be self defeating, if the original customers take against it and go elsewhere. I'm trying not to feel like an old fuddy duddy, but I think water sports are more suited to Damnoni.

Such is progress.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 06:27:28 PM »
Thought so. I can fully understand why it might attract more money but would have though paddle boarding, kayaking and kite surfing (given the winds) would be more suitable. Shame...guess I will be swimming on the On the Rocks side of the bay this year ! Cant stand swimming through oil whatever the situation and I really hope this doesn't affect the water quality and pollution levels.

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »
Hi, whilst we were there in July there were there were two people jet skiing every day, noisy and could be dangerous, Kersti Mcaul would verify this if she could!

Offline Susie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:20:10 PM »
Where can you snorkel safely with the jet skis? We go right out with a diving buoy, would we be safer elsewhere?

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:37:46 PM »
Go to the beach on the other side of the jetty opposite on the rocks taverna . You will be safe there and plenty of fish.

Offline Susie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:30:54 AM »
Thank you!!

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:13:57 AM »
Having been here a few weeks now & witnessed the total disprespect for boats & swimmers , I am so disappointed that this is happening in our beautiful Plakias bay.
I know we have to move with the times & possibly this is an attraction for some but I do wish the owners of these jet ski's would set an example to their customers.
Yesterday there were several young Greek children having a fabulous swim at the end of the pier & a jet ski came so close to them, only missing them because there were other Greek kids on the pier shouting & waving to warn them.

If these 'things' have to stay then I hope the users can show more respect to swimmers that are enjoying their holidays.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 06:25:33 PM »
I've tried researching water sports but seem to be getting odd answers?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 07:31:16 AM »
 ::)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
OK....saw the jet skis a couple of times and they didn't seem to give two hoots about anyone swimming. Didn't try swimming that side of the bay but the beach by On the Rocks was fine. The kite surfers were out too as the wind blew up. Although the jet skis didn't seem to make too much noise I still think they are are inappropriate for Plakias bay where the shallow waters allow people to swim quite a long way out. Would love to know what the eco-team at the Marine Station think and whether there is any chance of damage to the marine environment.