Author Topic: Different tavernas to try this year  (Read 8265 times)

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
Different tavernas to try this year
« on: June 08, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »
I would like to try a few different tavernas this year in Plakias and have picked several but wonder about bookings required and value and views from the table:

Taverna Scirocco (It always looked full and busy before)
Taverna Kastro (I have a car to get there)
Taverna Panorama (Myrthios by car)
Antoni's Place (is this place more for lunch at the beach?)

Does anyone have any reports or experience of these places, as they all look like they have a sea view and very nice indeed?

Offline Yvonne

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Different tavernas to try this year
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
I love Antonis  place. Yes it is open in the evening and have never had to book. We like to sit out in the garden rather than n inside, more of a traditional vibe. The menu is limited but the meals are well cooked.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 01:54:24 PM »
Antonis Place for an evening meal one of my very top favourites

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »
Sirocco ok if you get near the front, otherwise you'll be in cigarette smoke blowing back at you whilst your eating.
Kastro, we usually walk up 3 or 4 times over a fortnight, no need to book, extensive menu, (some things possibly from frozen) nice if you get a steady night, but if busy expect a wait as only 3 family members running it when we have been

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 10:29:58 PM »
Some good info there thanks, I might try Antoni's Place for sure, it looks more rustic too.

Offline Frank And Julie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 06:00:35 PM »
Can I suggest a very good taverner in Myrthios called Vrisi, this has come on big time over the last year and now they have a very good high quality menu and surroundings well worth a visit if you have not been there before of not in the last year or so.
Say Hi to Nickos (the young guy with a lot of tattoos ) from me !

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 10:16:41 AM »
Yes, it will be worth a drive up there, thanks.

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 07:43:58 PM »
Not been up there since Freddi  left, great views over Plakias to be had

Offline Hugo V

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 10:03:02 PM »
Antoni's place is definitely worth a visit.  Good food, inexpensive, good service.  Has a nice feeling to it.
Up in Myrthios, our preference goes to Plateia.  Difficult to get a table at night.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »
Report on my return:

Taverna Scirocco (It always looked full and busy before).
I was actually mixed up with Tasomanolis, which looks nice but again very busy on an evening so I avoided it. Scirocco is next door but set back a bit.

Taverna Kastro (I have a car to get there)
I had a drive up there but it looked a bit sad with just one family dining there (and they looked local or Greek).

Taverna Panorama (Myrthios by car)
As advised, I visited Vrisi instead. Wonderful place and great staff. Frank and Julie, I mentioned you to Nickos and it brought a great smile to his face and I also received top service. The young girl was amazing and very attentive. very recommended, thanks.

Antoni's Place (is this place more for lunch at the beach?)
Shame, I visited in the day when slightly off my food so went for an easy omelette. The only thing was that there was enough for two and lots of butter, ham and fatty cheese so I didn't think I did myself any favours (when will I learn to keep it even more simple with a salad). I would return though but maybe on an early evening for something simple and fresh.

Another recommendation is a trip up to Sellia. I went with a friend I met on the beach. She suggested Elia but when we went in there it was so warm at the rear of the non reserved tables, without a breeze. We then walked round to Merastri Taverna and took a table near the roadside with the glass balustrades which had a view over everyone's heads down to Plakias. We received top class service from the young lads who were part of the family run taverna. We tried the specials, Artichokes in lemon sauce and green beans in a tomato sauce, followed by wild rabbit with big Greek chips (fiddly, but yummo as they say).

Thanks all, Plakias is great isn't it? (Three visits now in four years and no doubt more to come).