login

Author Topic: Nearly There !!!!  (Read 9819 times)

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« on: August 16, 2004, 12:45:34 PM »
Its nearly time to set the alarm for an ungodly hour Tuesday morning to head out to the airport, get on that plane (please be on time.....) and head out for Plak.
Can't wait, as within 24hrs a cold Mythos or few will be welcoming yet another few days in that wonderfull Town.
Will probably post a message from the Forum after one of their indulgent breakfasts with an 'on the spot report'.
Lets hope the forecasted storms have passed through by the time we get there and the wind isn't too strong !!!
For all those yet to travel - have a good one, me, I can't wait to get there to let the Plakian ambience restore the soul, as it has a wonderful habit of doing.
Looking forward to seeing our good friends again, as its been far too long.

Catch you later guys.......................

Yasoo

Offline martyn

• View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 12:47:43 PM »
Have a great one Pritch and have a Mythos or twooooo?? for us

Martyn & Svetlana

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:10:22 AM »
Absolutely!      Looking forward to my own trip out there soon, even if it is my first!

Γεια σας!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 12:44:37 PM by Noopsy 500 »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 01:10:34 PM »
Looking at the calendar, things are going to be a bit quiet on this forum for much of next month. As a matter of pure interest only (I wouldn't intend to use it when there in May) are there internet facilities in Plakias?

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 04:20:33 PM »
Certainly was last year - at Ostraco. Have fun

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 09:54:44 PM »
Yes, the connection is still there at Ostraco.
I believe there is also one in the Forum bar now (upatairs)
There is also one in the bar just along the road from Ostraco - towards the harbour. Sorry - can't remember the name.
John - Ostraco

Offline Allan Barham

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 08:29:20 AM »
Also a connection in the lounge of the Alianthos Hotel

Allan

Offline ostraco

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - bbaazz@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - FinikasUK
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Plakias
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 06:09:46 PM »
That's at least 4 then!
Plakias is getting wired!
John - Ostraco

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 02:56:37 PM »
As I type this now back home in the UK, most of you will be out there and I hope your having as good a time as we did !! Finally got to see Ali & Dave which was great to put some faces to names - and what a lovely couple, long may you enjoy !!
I know I said I would probably do some on the spot reporting, but as we (were) in the middle of selling our house, my email time was restricted to sorting that out so sorry no reports !! Though it was nice sitting in Ostraco checking emails, and of course havingto have the odd Mythos whilst waiting, much nicer ambience than my study I can tell you !!
Weather was superb, breezy rather than blowing a hooly as slept out on the balcony every night under the stars...marvellous.
Can anyone tell me why there seems to be a weird almost water/oil type tinge to the beach at Lefgoya ? Don't experience it at any of the other beaches - is it to do with the fresh water running into the sea ????
Some new shops we noticed this year, which my daughter was drawn to like a magnet and a good few Euros were separated from us....
Noticed also that the prices were if anything, slighlty down on last year, but fortunately nothing much has radically changed.
We had our second week further towards Chora Sphakion, total contrast, very very quiete, few Tavernas, but got some great sightseeing in - anyone done the Imbros Gorge ??? If you haven't, whilst not for the faint hearted I can give you some absolutely fantastic places to go and see.
Anyone been to the WW2 Museum at the top of the Gorge, stunning and very moving, but don't overdo Giorgos's hospitality, his Raki is a killer !!!  
This years holiday was as good as the last 3 we have been and fortunately Crete (apart from Iraklion) was not overly hit by Olympic fever, certainly not where we went.
Talk soon,

Pritch

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 01:19:26 PM »
Noticed also that the prices were if anything, slighlty down on last year

Wow, that's a first.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2004, 04:35:25 PM »
We've just got back and were pleasantly surprised that the prices were much the same as last year. The Alianthos Express return price to Souda and Damnoni was 5 Euro compared with 6 last year so yes, some prices are down.

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 01:27:26 PM »
Pritch, how long to walk down the Imbros gorge for a fairly sedentary fifty something?
John Page

Offline fraoula

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 04:26:44 PM »
We've just got back and were pleasantly surprised that the prices were much the same as last year. The Alianthos Express return price to Souda and Damnoni was 5 Euro compared with 6 last year so yes, some prices are down.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2413\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Alianthos Express, that's the little train right?  
   Oh so it goes to souda and damnoni now as well as Mirthios? That's handy!

I don't want to look silly here so correct me quickly if I'm wrong  Ha Ha!

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 04:40:57 PM »
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2413\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Alianthos Express, that's the little train right?  
   Oh so it goes to souda and damnoni now as well as Mirthios? That's handy!

I don't want to look silly here so correct me quickly if I'm wrong  Ha Ha!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes the train goes to all sorts of places in the day, think I may have a leaflet at home with the destinations. It also went to the Raki festival this year in Kali Sykia, thankfully I wasn't on it or I may have fell out  

Offline Pritch

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nearly There !!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 10:39:56 AM »
Pritch, how long to walk down the Imbros gorge for a fairly sedentary fifty something?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=2439\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John.
not being a walker myself (and closer to fifty than I care to think), I would say you are looking at a good days hike. Not sure though if its actually possible to walk the Gorge itself, think rather you walk down the road, but in all honesty, I don't know.You can get a taxi and or bus at the botom which will take you to the top, and then I guess you walk back down, must be something somewhere on the net though on whether you can walk it.
There are a couple of little stop offs on the way, and the 'Caravan' about halfway offers some stunning views and a chance for a frappe, though not sure you would get there if you were in the Gorge itself
We drove, and whilst fairly scary going up - there are certain parts just wide enough for 2 small cars, so its in the the lap of the Gods if you meet a dirty great truck at this point - when you get up to the top and onto the plateu there are some stunning little villages to mooch around.
As I mentioned, the WW2 Museum is an absolute MUST, quite something to see.
In August, when we went, the air was much cooler and fresher at the top, and we had a cracking lunch in a very quiete little Taverna overlooking a patchwork of fields and small villages - happy memories, and their 'Macaronia Tyri' was one of the best I've tasted.
Worth a day out if youve a car though.

Neil