Author Topic: Does anyone else use Plakias Kafeneion?  (Read 9832 times)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Does anyone else use Plakias Kafeneion?
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Hi all.
We see what seems to be the local Kafeneion in Plakias. Have never seen any other travellers there apart from a few expats. Nearly everyone is local.
The Meze is good. The local wine and Raki excellent. Everyone seems to pile in if there is a Greek Football match on the television.
Not that either of us like Football, but the atmosphere seems good.
It is very close to Minoiko Taverna, one of the pharmacies and the small road that leads to the Apollo, youth hostel and up to Mirthios.
Does anyone else frequent it and know a little more about it? It is a chillout and avoid the crowds on the seafront place of choice.

Oops! spotted a thread from 2006. So Peter, Chris and Ali and Dave frequent it. We do tend to avoid busy August and September.
We only discovered the place because kept awake when staying at the Costas Chrysoula one year.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:12:40 PM by Lampyland »

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Does anyone else use Plakias Kafeneion?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
Hi Lampyland,

It used be an ouzomezedopoleio.  Now it is a taverna called "Ton Kzezoni" which we were told means "the feeling of being so full that you have to open the button on your trousers"!  The atmosphere is as you describe, with quite a small menu of tasty food.  We were originally put off by the signs for English Breakfast and the burger lunch menu.  However one evening we noticed a lively Greek atmosphere and went in.  I had amazing grilled rabbit, and another night delicious sardines.  Good wine and good raki - and within very easy staggering distance of Kostas Chrysoula.

But now we have mentioned it, it won't off the beaten track will it?!

Arnaki

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:25:38 PM »
Ah!  Mystery solved. Damn, me and my big mouth. Hope we find some room this July. Expect the crowds will still want their view of the sea and who can blame them. The colloquial translation seems right to me. Minoiko Taverna as well, That is two of our favourite places in the same street. Hope Nikos Brokalakis is open this year too. Late night Souvlaki,  cheap wine and rough Raki. Good company and music. What more could you want?

Ha, ha!  Nikos is keeping up with the times and can be found on Twitter under Nikossouvlaki and on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nikos.souvlaki
Hmm I detect some very well known faces in Nikos' 60th Birthday in 2010? Mentioning no names  ;-)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:10:15 PM by Lampyland »

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »
Talking of Ouzo. Has anyone else here have a passion for it? Collect it like single Malt Whisky?
Favourites are (huge bias towards Lesvos Ouzo. Only the best will do)
In first place Ouzo Kronos made in Agia Paraskevis (very hard to get hold of without visiting Lesvos)
Second is Ouzo Pitsiladi.
Then Ouzo Giannatsi.
Ouzo Kefi.
Then the more commercially available.
Barbayannis either the stronger Blue label or milder green.
Ouzo Veto
 and finally Ouzo Mini.
Someone hand me a dish of  sardeles pastes and I am in heaven.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:10:15 PM by Lampyland »

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »
We too were bemused by the noise coming from the kafenion near Kostas Chrysoulla, but, as said before, this can be ameliorated by going to the source of the noise and adding your own! Good local atmosphere, good meze and wine.
Lampyland, a person after my own heart! I adore ouzo, and HAVE to take regular holidays to Lesvos to stock up on ouzo, as I mentioned in one of my other posts (check my post history) I returned last year with 10 litres or maybe more secreted about my person and baggage. Because prices through Thomas Cook were excellent this year we are returning to Lesvos at the end of June, not going to Petra, but to Anaxos instead as the deal was too good to miss. We love Petra, but Anaxos will do, after all it is on Lesvos where the best ouzo comes from, so I can stock up yet again, though probably not as much, but who knows? I am only a week man and the temptation may be too much.
Favourite ouzo is 'Lesvos' then Mini, Barbayannis blue label and many many more!
Ouzo Plomari and Barbayannis can be bought at Heraklion airport duty free and in Plakias itself, so more opportunities to stock up. The holiday rep on Lesvos last year said that ouzo only tastes good when drunk in Greece, and is not when back in the UK. NOT TRUE.
Hoping that Olympic put up some good deals to Plakias for October and we will be back.
Yiammas

Offline JBMouse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:30:18 PM »
Well now, here's a coincidence, the Plaza Palace is exactly where we will be staying from June 22nd. B+B at a very good price. Do you have any recommendations? Judging by the feedback though there may not be any need to move out of the hotel as the pool looks good, happy hour or four for early evening drinks, and the meals appear good too! But we will need to sit out by the sea and watch the sunset a couple of times. Only visited Anaxos by bus once when we stayed in Petra a couple of years ago, this time it will be the other way round, visiting Petra by bus, probably to bring back some baklava from the sugar shop (Zacharoblastiki?) and have lunch there.
Happy times

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »
Recommend the womens co-operative taverna in Petra. It's very popular and good to watch the sun go down. Also the beach in Molyvos with fantastic views of the castle.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:21:34 PM »
Sarandos in highstreet of Anaxos, Steve's bar near Plaza Palace, Mythos Gyros on seafront, free sunbeds and say hello to Elvis the owner, great guy. Aggelos Taverna. One not to be missed "Avlaki Taverna", Avlaki bay between Petra and Anaxos. Then Georges Fish Taverna at Ambelia beach (over the headland). We love this beach but others on this forum not so keen, we have never found it dirty but it is a storm beach. The taverna is great and often live local music on a Sunday lunchtime. Villa Niki  in Anaxos used to be the best for us, it was kept going last year by the daughter. The owner Apostolis passed away maybe two years ago now. There are so many brilliant places as I am sure you know when you stopped in Petra. Triton750 was spot on with the Women's co-operative in Petra. Too many excellent places :-)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:40:12 AM by Lampyland »

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
Recommend the womens co-operative taverna in Petra. It's very popular and good to watch the sun go down. Also the beach in Molyvos with fantastic views of the castle.
IMHO Petra is much better than Anaxos, although a bit more expensive.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »
In mine Anaxos is much nicer. Each to their own. Some like busier and some like quieter.  Stay wherever you are happiest.

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »
The drive to Skala Eressos visiting Sigri and the Petrified Forest on route is very nice.
Very interesting change of landscape too.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
Do you mean by the coastal road from Sigri? The Geological museum at Sigri is a place not to miss. Sitting in the Blue Sardine at Skala Eressos with a big Greek Salad and watching the world go by.

Offline triton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 07:57:09 AM »
Do you mean by the coastal road from Sigri? The Geological museum at Sigri is a place not to miss. Sitting in the Blue Sardine at Skala Eressos with a big Greek Salad and watching the world go by.

Yes, although the road is very rough in places and you feel as if you're on the another Planet !
The museum is very good and a walk round the Petrified Forest.
Very barren landscape in the south west,but we managed the challenge in a Citroen Saxo.
Bit of advice if you go, fill the tank up. Not that we ran out of fuel.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
The road was a track last time we drove it. Sigri was a ghost town after all the holiday companies had pulled out. We liked it because of that. Lots of Sheep sleeping on the road too.

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
Back on topic.
Have been looking through the photos of Ton Kzezoni on Facebook (wink).
For anyone who does not know this excellent local watering hole here are a few photographs.
Don't all rush. The Beer on draught is Alfa and sometimes there is excellent music
Kiriakos Stavrianoudakis is a friend of the Family and if you want to know what he sounds like here he is on a YouTube video.
He is one great singer and Laouto player.
http://youtu.be/7DUvyUyc-cc
http://youtu.be/kdLW9sK8ais
Photos.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:56:53 AM by Lampyland »