login

Author Topic: A not so worrying development  (Read 35979 times)

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
A not so worrying development
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2008, 09:05:42 AM »
Santa - Many thanks for keeping us informed, you are a great help.

George - I will try to find the plans at lunch (when the boss isn't looking) and yes, lets wait until we know for sure but it still doesn't stop me from being concerned  :'(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:07:42 AM by Susan K »

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »
Quote from: Susan K
Santa - Many thanks for keeping us informed, you are a great help.

George - I will try to find the plans at lunch (when the boss isn't looking) and yes, lets wait until we know for sure but it still doesn't stop me from being concerned  :'(
We're all concerned Susan, but don't let it worry you too much!  

Try this thread Susan: "Worrying Development"

george g...

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »
Here is the link to the plan ... http://www.plakiasresort.com/images/overall_l.jpg

I wonder where they will place the four houses that are drawn south of the road in this plan? Houses in the dunes?

shinaria
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:51:20 AM by shinaria »

Offline Kerstin

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »
Quote from: shinaria
Here is the link to the plan ... http://www.plakiasresort.com/images/overall_l.jpg

I wonder where they will place the four houses that are drawn south of the road in this plan? Houses in the dunes?

shinaria

I found an other side with a lot of pictures and plans: http://www.fastro.co.uk/plakias/default.html

Kerstin

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »
Quote from: Kerstin
Quote from: shinaria

shinaria

I found an other side with a lot of pictures and plans: http://www.fastro.co.uk/plakias/default.html

Kerstin

The four houses shown on the fastro site could be the start of a "private beach" development that I so dread.
I hope not.  Many a lovely beach has become roped off for the exclusive use of hotels and apartments.

travellingran

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2008, 10:33:10 AM »
The road shown on the plan is a new road that is being created, you can already see it in place (cleared last year when the council cleared all future potential roads) and these houses are between that and the existing beach road.  So no private beach being developed.

The thing that staggers me about this development and others in the area is that there does not appear to be any use of solar panels for heating water.  Surely in this day and age a development like this which claims to take into account the 'environment' should be looking at ways to conserve energy and not to go backwards.

The island has problems coping with electricity supply as it is, especially experienced by anyone out here during the heatwave last year.  How is the system going to cope if these developments make no effort to use solar power.

(That's my gripe for the year  )

Ali

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
Thankyou Ali and Dave for removing the worry  over private beach space.

The lack of Solar Panels is much more serious and good of Ali to draw attention to the problem.
I think I will not be alone in just assuming that solar panels were part of the plans from the beginning.

What is it to be then - a nuclear power station at Souda ?. As Ali so rightly reminds us , the difficulty the  present electricity system has with overload brings back memories of the days when blackouts were the norm., for hours on end.

The  impact on the environment as a consequence of electricity generation is a very real and urgent problem. I find it astonishing that such an enlightened country could even consider going back to the days of polluting chimney's and possibly the burning of fossil fuels.

The plans on the holprop site of the new development show an artists impression of the work finished.
I know artists are supposed to be creative but this one seems to be in overdrive. The whole development has been squashed between ten newly planted tres . The beach and sea aspect stretched un-naturally wide. In fact , the swimming pool is shown on it's side. Is this a futuristic experiment or is the Plakias wind to be utilised to keep the water in the pool ?.

The Fastro site shows a slightly more realistic impression -  but still very creative modelling.

Here's to a more positive result. See you soon.

travellingran

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »
'What is it to be then - a nuclear power station at Souda ?. As Ali so rightly reminds us , the difficulty the present electricity system has with overload brings back memories of the days when blackouts were the norm., for hours on end.

travellingran'

Those were the days...

Everyone bought torches off the Deaf/Dumb guys who came round the bars, and we sat in candlelit restuarants   until the groans went up when the lights came back on.  

george g...

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »
Quote from: John R
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
We, like others would have preferred it if the development wasn't going to happen but it may not be too bad. We often go out of of Plakias during the day and we won't be passing it in the evenings. It really depends on whether the extra people make the area feel crowded and whether the windsurfing develops into bananas and ringos   I'm sure we'll have a great time this September, as in all previous years but will always be open to other possibilities.

We are like you and do not use the beach. However I suspect that most people on this forum are farenders or nearly so and it could make a big difference to them. What is now a beautiful long sweeping almost isolated beach virtually ideal for all purposes may change if it is overlooked for the full length by any development however tasteful. For example there is nothing wrong with the beach near the town but  most people walk away from that perfectly good area to enjoy more isolation. I certainly would. I think the minus for the likes of us will be if an increase in visitors overwhelms or changes the character of bars, eating places etc. Also the type of people that it may bring in may not be to our liking. Though not far enders ourselves  nearly all our friends are far enders and they are the sort of people who we like and who appreciate the place for the right reasons.

Like most people we shall carry on going to Plakias unless it ceases to maintain our simple and basic standards.

John R

Actually we are far 'far-enders' - by the tamarisk trees. I think, there, the dunes will do a good job of hiding the development. I agree, the walk will be less pleasant but last year we had a car and plan to this year so we'll be past it in seconds.

Offline travellingran

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2008, 12:52:45 PM »
Quote from: George
'What is it to be then - a nuclear power station at Souda ?. As Ali so rightly reminds us , the difficulty the present electricity system has with overload brings back memories of the days when blackouts were the norm., for hours on end.

travellingran'

Those were the days...

Everyone bought torches off the Deaf/Dumb guys who came round the bars, and we sat in candlelit restuarants   until the groans went up when the lights came back on.  

george g...

I had completely forgotten about them , George. We lost three or four  torches over the years..
In addition to candles , Mannoussos' brother in law would bring the lantern from his fishing boat and put it on a table , mostly indoors. A very eerie light indeed. But welcome nevertheless.

travellingran

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2008, 01:46:02 PM »
Quote from: John R
I suspect that most people on this forum are farenders or nearly so and it could make a big difference to them. What is now a beautiful long sweeping almost isolated beach virtually ideal for all purposes may change if it is overlooked for the full length by any development however tasteful. For example there is nothing wrong with the beach near the town but  most people walk away from that perfectly good area to enjoy more isolation. I certainly would. I think the minus for the likes of us will be if an increase in visitors overwhelms or changes the character of bars, eating places etc. Also the type of people that it may bring in may not be to our liking. Though not far enders ourselves  nearly all our friends are far enders and they are the sort of people who we like and who appreciate the place for the right reasons.

Like most people we shall carry on going to Plakias unless it ceases to maintain our simple and basic standards.

John R
I think John has identifed my main concern, namely the effect on the farend beach. Many such a beach (Greece and elsewhere) has become "clothes mandatory" once development has arrived. I, too, suspect that most Plakias visitors who use the beach are farenders as the beach nearer the town is sparsely occupied.

If the number of visitors increases then the tavernas will just expand to cope, I imagine.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:12:42 PM by Mike G »

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »
Re;  the current development on the site...... not sure??  We drive past the site often, as we live behind Paligremnos, and we can't quite work out what they are doing.

The cabin, I think, will be a sales office and they have made a parking area for visitors to the site.  But they are certainly building something, we're not sure if they are maybe building one plot as a selling feature if so, they are putting in major foundations or it's a swimming pool??

I don't quite understand why they did not start until April coinciding with the first visitors.

There are hopes that the road will be finished early May, fingers crossed as I'm not sure the wheels on our car can cope with it much longer!!!

I'm sure it will all be alright on the night.

Ali

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2008, 08:27:48 AM »
Thanks Ali, all will come clear soon we hope.

george g...

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2008, 12:28:45 PM »
Santa

Are you back yet? I can't stand the suspense    

Susan

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2008, 01:32:27 PM »
Quote from: Susan K
Santa

Are you back yet? I can't stand the suspense    

Susan

Dear Susan- Yes I am back and actually Plakias looks very good. The new road into town now has asphalt, although I must admit it is not the best job. I have been informed that they will provide a pedestrian walk next to the road- They understand that it can be dangerous for those who walk - so that is good- not sure on the time table though. Also, the last curve that leads out of town to Souda has been widened so it will be easier to navigate that turn.
Now as to the development, it looks like full steam ahead- There is now a full billboard on site- I will be back in Plakias the weekend of the17th and get the details of that for you. In studying the images, it looks like the large swimming pool is beign constructed- at the least the concrete work for it at this time. There are 3 phases of development- total time 5 years- Phase 1 is scheduled for 2 years. Total around 380 units.I estimate that the distance between the east boundrie of the lot and Pelgremnos is about 150 meters. I do not think it will disturb those of you who use the far end.
I know many of you have many reservations about this development and its potential impact on the area. It will be built, so let us make the best of it -
The mayor has been doing a great job in cleaning up and sprucing up the entire walk to the far end- as well as in town and towards Souda-Weeds are cut ,street swept etc. It looks very nice.
The harbour is progressing, and some boats are already using the facility.

So, that is it for now- Do not worry.
Santa