Author Topic: Matala  (Read 3566 times)

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
Matala
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
Went to Phaistos and Matala today. Phaistos interesting but too hot to think today. At 4 euros to get in, it's a bit of a bargain imho but some of the restoration could be a bit more sympathetic.
Matala............ weeelllllll! It's a bit of a 60's theme park, particularly now with the beach music festival next weekend, but is a lovely place. It's just such a shame that it's overrun by hundreds of versions of me (ie tourists!). Go,'cos it's lovely, but don't expect Joni Mitchell to pop out singing Carrie. No 'scratchy rock 'n roll' more reggae. The first song lyrics that sprang to mind were from The Eagles. 'You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye'. :(

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Re: Matala
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
Sadly think Matala has been ruined by its fame. Worth going for the music Festival but otherwise I would avoid it and enjoy my memories. Kommos beach was well worth visiting as was Kamilari village.

Offline covboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »
Went to Phaistos and Matala today. Phaistos interesting but too hot to think today. At 4 euros to get in, it's a bit of a bargain imho but some of the restoration could be a bit more sympathetic.
Matala............ weeelllllll! It's a bit of a 60's theme park, particularly now with the beach music festival next weekend, but is a lovely place. It's just such a shame that it's overrun by hundreds of versions of me (ie tourists!). Go,'cos it's lovely, but don't expect Joni Mitchell to pop out singing Carrie. No 'scratchy rock 'n roll' more reggae. The first song lyrics that sprang to mind were from The Eagles. 'You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye'. :(

Didn't 'Big Yellow Taxi' by Joni Mitchell spring to mind? 'They paved paradise and put up a parking lot'. That's Matala for you now.

Offline draper10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:41:59 PM »
Yep! That's a good one too!