Author Topic: The wind!  (Read 12875 times)

Offline stewart

• View Profile
The wind!
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »
I went to Plakias about 10 yrs ago in May for 2 wks and the wind made sunbathing on the beach a bit of an ordeal as far as I can remember but as it hardly seems mentioned here I wonder if my memory is exaggerating how much of a nuisance it was. As I'm thinking of a week there at the end of aug/start of sep i wondered what the reality is regarding wind ???

Offline steven

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://members.ziggo.nl/steefbez/
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:07:58 PM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:10:51 PM by steven »
No trees were killed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons became terribly excited.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:29:53 AM »
Quote from: stewart
I went to Plakias about 10 yrs ago in May for 2 wks and the wind made sunbathing on the beach a bit of an ordeal as far as I can remember but as it hardly seems mentioned here I wonder if my memory is exaggerating how much of a nuisance it was. As I'm thinking of a week there at the end of aug/start of sep i wondered what the reality is regarding wind ???
As you can tell from the replies Stewart, it is always windy in Plakias. But be thankfull for it. If it stops the temperate rises considerably and you will wish for it back again.
OK it can get a bit silly at times, I've been on the beach on numerous ocassions and have got sandblasted and it can hurt on suntanned skin.
Generally it's just a wind, and after a while you'll get used to it, but don't take too much effort with your hair ladies before going out for the evening.  
Enjoy Stewart!
george...

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
The wind!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
I was in Plakias the last two weeks in August last year and for a lot of the time it was very windy - Force 7 and 8 on some days.  For me this was more than a little inconvenient as I use crutches, and was in danger of being blown over, so I needed to use my wheelchair much more than I would have liked.  We had to eat breakfast crowded around a cupboard in the room, as it was too windy to eat on the balcony.

However it is worth noting that if it is windy in Plakias, it is usually sheltered in Souda and Damnoni, and the wind means that the walk is not too hot (even pushing a wheelchair).  You can always get a taxi (if they are running, with the strikes at the moment).  Otherwise it is a good excuse to sit in a bar in Plakias and watch the waves.

We are going back again on 16 to 30 August  - I am not sure if it is a truimph of hope over experience!  If you are there at the end of August, we might meet - or just be planes that pass in the night....

Enjoy it!

Arnaki

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
[Otherwise it is a good excuse to sit in a bar in Plakias and watch the waves.

Arnaki
[/quote]

We spent a very pleasant day in the Livicon last year doing just that, by the end of the day we had quite a gathering of Forum members.

Sadly we are not returning this year    , but have a great time all of you that are going.  

Peter&Dawn

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »
We were there but it seems so long ago now.    

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline stewart

• View Profile
The wind!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:22:54 PM »
Quote from: Arnaki
I was in Plakias the last two weeks in August last year and for a lot of the time it was very windy - Force 7 and 8 on some days.  For me this was more than a little inconvenient as I use crutches, and was in danger of being blown over, so I needed to use my wheelchair much more than I would have liked.  We had to eat breakfast crowded around a cupboard in the room, as it was too windy to eat on the balcony.

However it is worth noting that if it is windy in Plakias, it is usually sheltered in Souda and Damnoni, and the wind means that the walk is not too hot (even pushing a wheelchair).  You can always get a taxi (if they are running, with the strikes at the moment).  Otherwise it is a good excuse to sit in a bar in Plakias and watch the waves.

We are going back again on 16 to 30 August  - I am not sure if it is a truimph of hope over experience!  If you are there at the end of August, we might meet - or just be planes that pass in the night....

Enjoy it!

Arnaki

Are Souda and Damnoni walkable or reachable by public transport? I'm also TT so not interested in spending too long in bars, I really just want a short sunbathing and reading break!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:06:43 AM »
Are Souda and Damnoni walkable or reachable by public transport? I'm also TT so not interested in spending too long in bars, I really just want a short sunbathing and reading break!
I often take a stroll to Souda Stewart. It's a very pleasant stroll along the coast and takes me about an hour. There's a couple of bars there for a refreshing cup of tea and the beach is clothes optional and ideal for a slow relaxing afternoon having a read.
The less said about Dambednomi the better as far as I'm concerned but it is walkable Stewart.
george...

Offline stewart

• View Profile
The wind!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
Quote from: George
I often take a stroll to Souda Stewart. It's a very pleasant stroll along the coast and takes me about an hour. There's a couple of bars there for a refreshing cup of tea and the beach is clothes optional and ideal for a slow relaxing afternoon having a read.
The less said about Dambednomi the better as far as I'm concerned but it is walkable Stewart.
george...

thanks ive eventually found a slot to get away - oct 18-25, only £250 with olympic. never been to greece that late in the year before .  i'll probably try souda whether its v windy in plakias or not as I prefer sunbathing au naturel but whats wrong with damnoni?

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »

Tell him George?
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 01:27:01 PM »
Hi Stewart
I haven't been there for years so it's possible that it's changed somewhat, but I doubt it!
Many years ago I walked there from Plakias and strolled around the apartment complex and to be honest I felt like the 'Prisoner' and expected a big ball to come down the street after me. I got to the point where I just had to get out of there and climbed over a fence at the back of the complex to get out. To say I felt claustophobic would be an understatement.
I didn't think much of the beach either and the bars and restaurants weren't a lot better. I did drive in there some years later to see if it had changed and it seemed worse so I just turned around and got out of there quick.
But as I said that was all a long time ago, so my advice to you and anyone else is to go and find out for yourself. It's just not my kind of place!!
george...

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 01:33:55 PM »
Quote from: Barny
Tell him George?
Got your Txt yesterday Barny, it went down well with my w/e guest!!  
george...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »
george...

thanks ive eventually found a slot to get away - oct 18-25, only £250 with olympic. never been to greece that late in the year before .  i'll probably try souda whether its v windy in plakias or not as I prefer sunbathing au naturel but whats wrong with damnoni?
I've never been to Plakias that late but in mid May and late Sept/early Oct my experience has been that most people on Souda beach are clothed. For "au naturel" the far end of Plakias beach would be ideal or Micro Amoudi (the next beach past Damnoni). At the risk of repeating myself, I have to say I again agree with George re. Damnoni.

At least the wind ought to have subsided by late Oct as I think it is a summer phenomenon.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:43:00 PM by Mike G »

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
george...

I've never been to Plakias that late but in mid May and late Sept/early Oct my experience has been that most people on Souda beach are clothed. For "au naturel" the far end of Plakias beach would be ideal or Micro Amoudi (the next beach past Damnoni). At the risk of repeating myself, I have to say I again agree with George re. Damnoni.

At least the wind ought to have subsided by late Oct as I think it is a summer phenomenon.

Mike

We have been in October on a few occasions and it can be very windy

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Richard

• View Profile
    • Email
The wind!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
Well, we've never had force 8 but it has been pretty gusty on occasions. Sandblasting can be a problem on the long Plakias beach (can't remember name) but Souda suffers much less in this respect. We tend to visit either in May or September and wind tends not to be a problem, perhaps it's worse over the summer? Don't know.

Our second visit, many years ago, was late in June, however, and on the couple of days that the fairly steady breeze stopped, the heat became unpleasant.

Whatever, we booked our own flight/accommodation et.c. this year rather than using an agent, to allow us to stay for 10 days, and we will certainly do this again next year, staying at Skinos once more. Lovely spot.

All the best, Richard