login

Kastro
Submitted By: Ploppy Date: September 03, 2006, 02:56:15 PM Views: 3159

Kastro has a great view across the bay.

We tend to go there for lunch so we can enjoy the view as it is dark by the time we eat in the evenings.

Rating: ** by 4 members.
Comments
Voloudakis

View Profile Email
April 09, 2013, 09:49:11 PM
We were the only couple eating here on the night we went in July 2012.
Left just after midnight. The owner was so friendly and the food good.
Have to say his wine was outstanding and even offered a home made Rosé which my other half loved so much She bought a bottle to take back to the apartment.
Such a shame it was so quiet as the view was beautiful, I do feel the food is probably even better when they have more custom.
Other half bought one of their T-shirts for me so I should be easy to spot in 2013.
Mike G
Regulars

View Profile WWW Email
May 29, 2009, 01:14:14 PM
Go for the wonderful view, which can only be bettered by the harbourside tavernas (Mousses, Gorgona, etc) with tables on the waterfront. The food was pretty good on the one occasion we went there. Toilets oustandingly good for Greece! A bit of a trek to get there and don't forget the torch!
Mike from Sussex
Regulars

View Profile Email
October 10, 2008, 01:11:54 PM
Had lunch here one day. Rather hot, so we decided on fish as a light option. What arrived was an enormous fillet of something covered in a rich tomato sauce. Obviously a frozen catering item, but tasted good and was good value, but not the light meal we wanted. We will stick to salads as a safer bet.

The views are very enticing and our experience was only due to us not knowing our way round the menu. Whilst we were there only one other couple dropped in and I would say the Kastro deserves more custom than it seems to get.
Graham_and_Karen
Regulars

View Profile Email
September 25, 2008, 09:05:51 PM
We and our friends enjoyed our meal, as always but unfortunately I think my greek sausage was not cooked properly. Very very ill later in the night and next morning but it hasn't put me off going there - mistakes can happen or maybe I got a bug from elsewhere.
Davos

MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email
March 21, 2008, 03:24:56 PM
Simply love this place.
Lunch time  the view is brill and a good place for a cold Mythos
Dinner time, worth the walk again a nice view and the bats give a bit of a floor show.
Try it out.
The snow Photos of the beach are worth a look to.
See you there.
Graham_and_Karen
Regulars

View Profile Email
September 23, 2007, 11:41:04 AM
We ate there just once this year and we were the only ones there. A shame as the view is great, the owner is chatty and the food is good, if slightly more expensive than some. Karen thought the choice for veggies was not very good but I think the 'Kastro Kleftico' is the tastiest Kleftico I've had in Plakias. The house red wine was good and it has an up-market feel for little extra cost. Well worth it.
Peter&Dawn
Regulars

View Profile Email
September 13, 2007, 07:36:17 AM
We walked up to the Castro one evening, and I must say it was worth the climb. The food was excellent.
Try the Beef Stifado, my mouths watering just thing of it.
And the views over the bay are wonderful.

Pete&Dawn
Chas
Regulars

View Profile WWW Email
August 13, 2007, 04:39:47 PM
Because of (some of) the above comments, Sam and I made the effort to go for lunch ... yes, I hobbled, wobbled and limped all that way in the midday sun (didn't meet any mad dogs, though) ... and we made it.

(Sam was on the other end of the camera)

Unfortunately, we appeared to be the only people who had made it there, that afternoon!

By the time we'd walked on round and back to the Lamon, I needed more than a Mythos ... so I had two Alfas. ...... It's an ill wind.
Noopsy
Sponsors

View Profile Email
August 12, 2007, 07:40:30 PM
This restaurant has an extensive and tempting menu.  For starters I had a Kastro salad which was huge.  It comprised a mixture of various vegetables and herbs, artistically arranged with cheese garnish. The price was €5.90 but I think it was worth it.  My main dish was beef stifado which was OK; the meat was tender which was the important thing.  All washed down with a Mythos from which I fished 5 tiny flies during the proceedings: clearly I was not the only fan of that particular beer present!  For dessert I had a "Kastro" ice-cream, a huge "in your face" affair consisting of a scoop each of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice-cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce...and a little umbrella!  A raki came with the bill.  I paid €20 incl. a small tip.
MR P

MSN Messenger - e2e100@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
December 12, 2006, 11:49:55 AM
When i was in Plakias in 2000, me my bro and my dad, used Kastros on a regular basis, and i have to say, Kastros along with another taverna which was Madussa, which i belive from being told by my bro no longer exists are the best places to eat in Plakias, but only in the evening during the day, there was a beautiful taverna on the sea front, but i cant remember what it was called, to be hinest i dont think i ever knew the name of it, but it was just up from the little bridge.

Also does anyone know if the Hexagon Club is still up and running i think it used to be on the far side of the little bridge but with it being 6 yrs since i was in Plakias last i cant remember.

And did anyone get a taxi from the airport, Yes i know its a weird question but i am asking because i wanna know did anyone get a taxi drive called Christos, believe me if you dont remember him straight away you wouldnt have had him, because he is one person that will stick in your mind for good.

Hope to chat to some people soon

MR P
George
Regulars

View Profile Email
October 06, 2006, 10:06:02 AM
I used the Castro this year, though only once and at lunchtime. They advertise that they have the best views in Plakias and I'm not going to argue with that.
It's a bit of a trek to get there but it's worth it. Follow the signs for the Youth Hostel, past the 'Library' and it's sign posted at the 'T' junction where you turn right and go up the hill.
It's very clean and tidy and nicely decorated, the menu is varied and service was good. Admittedly I was the only one there, so I was spoilt. The lunch of Pork Chops was excellent washed down with a little known beverage called Mythos.
They also make their own wine and Raki which you can sample and buy.
Thoroughly recommended at any time.
You may need a torch in the evenings!

george g... 10.2006