Author Topic: Guided river walk  (Read 8343 times)

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Guided river walk
« on: August 13, 2005, 09:09:39 AM »
In 1998 we had an enjoyable and very memorable day out and we plan to do it again.
There were only the two of us booked to do it and so had the guide to ourselves for the day.

A car and driver took us to the Venetian Bridge, just off the Prevelli road, and left us and our guide Albert there.
Albert found us some sticks to help with walking and we set off down the Kourtaliotiko river, walking in the river.
In June 1998 the water was at about its normal height for June.
In most places that meant just enough to cover your ankles.
Mind you, it was quite cold.

We walked down the river towards Palm Beach (Prevelli) and the sea, criss-crossing the river, sometimes in it and sometimes beside it.
There was lots of vegetation and shade so the heat of the day was not a problem.
I'm not a naturalist but I did appreciate all the flowers, herbs and colourful insects.
(Mosquitos were not a problem at that time of day).
There were odd places where we had to cross deeper, narrower parts of the river but it was never more than waist deep.
At times we had to scramble over or between rocks but we had no problems despite not being particularly active people.
Part way down we took a break for sandwiches and a drink beside a waterfall and shady pool and took the opportunity for a fresh water skinny dip.

We were very happy to have a guide as the walk fet quite remote.
Between the Venetian Bridge and Palm Beach we only saw other people once and they were walking on the far side of the valley.
It was remarkable how remote it felt, despite the fact that we could never have been more that half a kilometer from the road.
The whole walk was only about 3 or 4 kilometers but we took our time and probably took about 4 hours before arriving at Palm Beach having stopped for a second river pool swim just before we got to the sea.
Once at the beach we had plenty of time for refreshments and yet another swim before the boat left to take us back to Plakias.

As far as I know, there are no longer organised walks like this but, having made contact with our guide Albert, I'm hoping to organise one for us Plakforms.
Because I've left it so late for this year the potential dates are quite limited.
Our window of opportunity is from the 17th to the 25th September with target dates of 17th to 19th.

Is anyone else interesting in joining this walk?
If so, please post in this topic as soon as possible.
John Page

Stick of Rock

Guided river walk
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 10:36:33 AM »
Sounds good to me

However, there is no question of us skinnydipping with Plakmates .... far-enders or not

A little too intimate I fear

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Guided river walk
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 11:41:58 AM »
In 1998 we had an enjoyable and very memorable day out and we plan to do it again.
There were only the two of us booked to do it and so had the guide to ourselves for the day.

A car and driver took us to the Venetian Bridge, just off the Prevelli road, and left us and our guide Albert there.
Albert found us some sticks to help with walking and we set off down the Kourtaliotiko river, walking in the river.
In June 1998 the water was at about its normal height for June.
In most places that meant just enough to cover your ankles.
Mind you, it was quite cold.

We walked down the river towards Palm Beach (Prevelli) and the sea, criss-crossing the river, sometimes in it and sometimes beside it.
There was lots of vegetation and shade so the heat of the day was not a problem.
I'm not a naturalist but I did appreciate all the flowers, herbs and colourful insects.
(Mosquitos were not a problem at that time of day).
There were odd places where we had to cross deeper, narrower parts of the river but it was never more than waist deep.
At times we had to scramble over or between rocks but we had no problems despite not being particularly active people.
Part way down we took a break for sandwiches and a drink beside a waterfall and shady pool and took the opportunity for a fresh water skinny dip.

We were very happy to have a guide as the walk fet quite remote.
Between the Venetian Bridge and Palm Beach we only saw other people once and they were walking on the far side of the valley.
It was remarkable how remote it felt, despite the fact that we could never have been more that half a kilometer from the road.
The whole walk was only about 3 or 4 kilometers but we took our time and probably took about 4 hours before arriving at Palm Beach having stopped for a second river pool swim just before we got to the sea.
Once at the beach we had plenty of time for refreshments and yet another swim before the boat left to take us back to Plakias.

As far as I know, there are no longer organised walks like this but, having made contact with our guide Albert, I'm hoping to organise one for us Plakforms.
Because I've left it so late for this year the potential dates are quite limited.
Our window of opportunity is from the 17th to the 25th September with target dates of 17th to 19th.

Is anyone else interesting in joining this walk?
If so, please post in this topic as soon as possible.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OH if only we were there then.  
Never mind hope you all have a super time.
One good thing we are looking forward to seeing all end September regulars
Dotty & Gary
Dotty

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 03:06:32 PM »
John

I'm not really into physical activity whilst on holiday, (no smutty jokes please) however, the walk sounds quite pleasant and the skinny dipping even better. A few km's isn't so very far and i'm sure the sights and sounds along the way are well worth it.  I can't confirm till Monday as Gary is away this weekend but I will let you know early next week. The 18th would be a better date for us.

What do you need in terms of footwear?

Susan

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 10:34:34 PM »
Dotty & Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes we are also looking forward to the End September regulars - who I believe are returning en masse.

We are also good at doing long walks aren't we Dotty  

Some of us not eggsactly sure about the means of getting back though  

Starting a countdown now..................................

John R

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Guided river walk
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 02:52:09 PM »

Dotty & Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes we are also looking forward to the End September regulars - who I believe are returning en masse.

We are also good at doing long walks aren't we Dotty  

Some of us not eggsactly sure about the means of getting back though  

Starting a countdown now..................................

John R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't have any problems getting home John. I just wish I had concrete evidence to prove this  

Looking forward to everyones company once more.

Dotty
Dotty

Offline Denis and Chris

• View Profile
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 11:06:51 PM »
Yes we are all on countdown now.

Have we gone up market with the new name End September regulars  are we not now called the Saga Louts.

Regards to John/Gillian,Gary/Dotty and all the others, you know who you are too many to mention.Not forgetting Chris/Les we know you are looking.

Denis and Chris

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 08:20:52 AM »

Have we gone up market with the new name End September regulars  are we not now called the Saga Louts.

Regards to John/Gillian,Gary/Dotty and all the others, you know who you are too many to mention.Not forgetting Chris/Les we know you are looking.

Denis and Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Welcome aboard this forum Denis and Chris - can't wait to meet up with you and the rest of the gang in September.  

Yes - I think we are all now the Saga Louts. Perhaps Dotty was worried about it - though I'm not sure whether it is the Saga bit or the Lout bit    

John R and Gillian
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 08:23:31 AM by John R »

Offline DOTTY

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Guided river walk
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 08:38:30 AM »

Have we gone up market with the new name End September regulars  are we not now called the Saga Louts.

Denis and Chris

Welcome aboard this forum Denis and Chris - can't wait to meet up with you and the rest of the gang in September.  

Yes - I think we are all now the Saga Louts. Perhaps Dotty was worried about it - though I'm not sure whether it is the Saga bit or the Lout bit    

John R and Gillian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes welcome D/C good to see you on here,

I am proud to be an end of September Saga Lout just wanted to include everyone we met too.

excitedly counting  

Dotty
Dotty

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 11:50:31 AM »
John

I'm not really into physical activity whilst on holiday, (no smutty jokes please) however, the walk sounds quite pleasant and the skinny dipping even better. A few km's isn't so very far and i'm sure the sights and sounds along the way are well worth it.  I can't confirm till Monday as Gary is away this weekend but I will let you know early next week. The 18th would be a better date for us.

What do you need in terms of footwear?

Susan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's really not that tough Susan.
3 to 4 kilometers in as many hours is pretty easy and the only tricky bits are where the water is waist-deep in the odd place.
Valerie lost a cheap pair of sunglasses in the water so, if you find any, they are hers!

Shoes need to be able to cope with the stones underfoot and not mind being wet for a while.
They soon dry when you take them off while having the post-walk beer at the beach.
I used an old pair of casual shoes thinking I'd discard them afterwards.
But they survived quite well and I wore them for another year or two afterwards.
Trainers would probably be best.
That's what Albert wore.

One of you should carry a small back-pack that sits high on the back.
Don't take anything valuable that can't cope with getting wet.
Some kind of waterproof container would be good for things that you want to keep dry just in case you fall over in the river.

I hope you and Gary will go.

Regards, ComPage.
John Page

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 11:52:52 AM »

Denis and Chris

John R and Gillian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes welcome D/C good to see you on here,

I am proud to be an end of September Saga Lout just wanted to include everyone we met too.

excitedly counting  

Dotty
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4117\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Will you End Of September Saga Louts please stop hijacking this topic!

Edited as this might not appear as humorous as intended.

So:        
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 02:22:50 PM by compage »
John Page

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 03:42:14 PM »
Quote from: compage,Aug 15 2005, 11:52 AM

Will you End Of September Saga Louts please stop hijacking this topic!

Edited as this might not appear as humorous as intended.

So:        
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4120\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Sorry - just trying to prove that there is life in Plakias after Mid September - assuming you don't eat all at Medousa and leave us some Mithos and to keep on topic, that you don't drain all the water from that river  

John R - who will still qualify as a Stella Pensioner
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 03:43:02 PM by John R »

Offline Susan K

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 07:20:14 PM »
John

It sounds like a lovely day out but I do have one more question. You may or may not be aware that I am a non swimmer and panic if the water is more than waist deep    . Can you confirm that it really is only that deep or it could cause a problem. If that is the case then count us in for either the 17th or 18th.  By the way, nice idea John    
Cheers John

Susan

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 10:29:46 AM »
John

It sounds like a lovely day out but I do have one more question. You may or may not be aware that I am a non swimmer and panic if the water is more than waist deep    . Can you confirm that it really is only that deep or it could cause a problem. If that is the case then count us in for either the 17th or 18th.  By the way, nice idea John    
Cheers John

Susan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's odd you should ask that question Susan as I've been thinking about water levels since my last post.
When we did the walk in 1998 it was in June.
At one point, our guide mentioned that the walk would not have been possible much earlier in the year because of the water levels.
So logically the water level in September should be at its lowest.
Probably much lower than we experienced in June 1998 when waist deep was the maximum and that only seen twice.
However, I will check with Albert and let you know.
John Page

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guided river walk
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 10:01:19 AM »
Albert has confirmed that he expects the water level to be low in September.

Any more want to go on this walk on the 17th September?
Please post here.
John Page