login

Author Topic: Petrol Scam at Heraklion Airport  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Petrol Scam at Heraklion Airport
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
Hi,

We returned from Plakias and Elounda  a few weeks ago. We hired a car (peugeot cabriolet) from the airport. We had to return the car with the same level of fuel in it as we picked up (between 1/4 and 1/2 full. We drove around a bit and kept topping up with 20 euros of fuel to keep it at that level. When returning to the airport (from Elounda) I stopped at a petrol station not too far from the airport on the main highway to add a top up of 10 euros. the owner at the pump took my 10 euros took the keys to open the filler cap . Allegedly put the fuel in (but the filler was at the rear of the car) gave me keys back and off I drove. The fuel gauge was slow to respond at the best of times but it didn't appear to move at all. I stopped at the next petrol station the last before the airport. I was ushered forward by the owner again keys handed over, fuel "put in", keys back and off I set again. The fuel gauge didn't move again. I was due to hand the car back shortly so went to the car rental depot at the airport where the rental company was fortunately more concerned about a faulty boot lock than the fuel reading. So I think I was scammed over fuel twice.

Moral of the story . If topping up before reu5rning your car to the airport check that the fuel you have purchased is actually going into your car
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Petrol Scam at Heraklion Airport
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 05:26:41 PM »
Ouch!

Probably best to get out before handing over the keys and look at the pump as the fuel is delivered. I've got an honours degree in hindsight!

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »
The retrospectoscope is a wonderful instrument!
I have learnt my lesson but a warning to others!

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 06:13:07 PM »
What concerns me is that it happened to you in two different stations. I have been going to the Aegean islands since 1972 and one of the most striking things has been the honesty of the locals. Has the Euro crisis compromised this, I wonder?

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
Looking on the interweb it's a common scam in other countries.  :(

Tony
Tony