login

Author Topic: Hard rain on crete...  (Read 6002 times)

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Hard rain on crete...
« on: October 18, 2006, 03:11:54 PM »
As I just red on the news there must have been really bad weather on crete and other greek islands during the last hours. Dozens of cars are said to be washed into the sea round Hania. Any news about the situation - especially round plakias?

Let the sun shine!
shinaria

[attachment=415:attachment][attachment=416:attachment]
copyright photos: www.tagesschau.de

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hard rain on crete...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:00:35 PM »
Hi Shinaria

The weather has been awful here.  Really cold and lots of rain.  Worse than the winter months.  Not too much damage here in Plakias although we had a flash flood down the main river in the village about lunchtime on Tuesday.  Lots of trees and rubbish dumped into the bay.  At one point the concrete bit between the bridge and the sea was half full with a raging muddy torrent.

The north coast has had the most problems with both airports shut for periods on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Flooding along the hania-rethymno highway and major flooding from Kalyves to Georgioupoli.

I really feel for people here on holiday.

Ali

Mandy Harrison

Hard rain on crete...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:26:22 PM »
God it sounds truly awful.  I know this is selfish but I am so glad we had good weather last two weeks in September.  I was told it was wonderful out in October but I am not so keen to be rushing over there at the moment.  Hope the sun comes back soon for all the holiday makers.  Hope they took woolley jumpers and coats out!

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hard rain on crete...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 02:35:36 PM »
Quote from: Ali & Dave
Hi Shinaria

The weather has been awful here.  Really cold and lots of rain.  Worse than the winter months.  Not too much damage here in Plakias although we had a flash flood down the main river in the village about lunchtime on Tuesday.  Lots of trees and rubbish dumped into the bay.  At one point the concrete bit between the bridge and the sea was half full with a raging muddy torrent.

The north coast has had the most problems with both airports shut for periods on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Flooding along the hania-rethymno highway and major flooding from Kalyves to Georgioupoli.

I really feel for people here on holiday.

Ali

Quote from: Mandy Harrison
God it sounds truly awful.  I know this is selfish but I am so glad we had good weather last two weeks in September.  I was told it was wonderful out in October but I am not so keen to be rushing over there at the moment.  Hope the sun comes back soon for all the holiday makers.  Hope they took woolley jumpers and coats out!
It's alright for the holidayers, they can get on a plane and get home and leave it all behind them.  
It's the locals I feel for, they've got to clean the place up.  

george g...

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Hard rain on crete...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 10:06:49 AM »
i'm afraid the news gets worse, the body of David Westwell ( an ex pat) was recovered from the harbour of Almyrida, it seems his van was washed away after a river broke its banks, very sad

there are pictures from greek TV on the explorecrete site showing the effects

explorecrete

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hard rain on crete...
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 10:04:21 AM »
From what Shinaria, Harribobs, Karen and others have said it sounds really bad. I think it was Oct 17, the last day of the season (at least it was for Kosmar). We returned home the previous Tuesday when it was wet but not like this. This was frightening.

I hope it won't put people off visiting at this time of year. I have been in Greece (not just Crete) at various times in the last week of September and first 3 weeks of October for many years and have had some wonderful weather. In Paleohora this year there was a digital themometer in the resort and it was generally 29-32 degrees Celsius most days and still 25C at 11.00pm. There are many advantages at this time of year: the places are quiet with few children, plenty of space in tavernas, no need for aircon, seats on buses, excellent time of the year for walking, half the price of high season, water still warm, beaches uncrowded. Need I go on?

Mike

Offline aspasia

• View Profile
Hard rain on crete...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:24:01 AM »
From time to time when I need a break and a bit of relaxation I get on the forum to hear new about Plakias - such a wonderful place which I visited in June-July this year for the 1st time. I witnessed the big fire and both i and my boyfriend were almost crying with anger at the impossibility of doing something for the local people, the nature around and the thousands of beautiful olive trees which accompanied us each time we went down the hills to the beach and back to Myrthios. Now I hear about the floods which also took people's lives and I feel the same. On the other hand there are cyclic periods  with this terrible kind of weather and we have to cope with it. I live in a country (Romania) which have never experienced (at least in recent history) a tornado.!!! And in the last couple of years there have been two which took people by total surprise and destroyed their houses and belongings.
Alex, I am glad you liked Plakias so much. I don't know if you remember but before you went there we have exchanged a few words about my immediate impressions and feelings after coming back from a wonderful holiday full of joy and sadness (because of the fire) at the same time. Let's hope that the wonderful people of Crete are recovering from all these terrible disasters as soon as possible.
Ciao and see you next year in Plakias!
By the way. How was the wind (which blew terribly hard when we were there11) The Meltemi? if I am not worong. I look forward to meeting with some forum members too, next summer

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Hard rain on crete...
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 08:46:46 AM »
Quote from: aspasia
By the way. How was the wind (which blew terribly hard when we were there11) The Meltemi? if I am not worong. I look forward to meeting with some forum members too, next summer

I was there at the same time as Alex for two weeks and had the privilidge of meeting him. Hope you can do the same one day.

The effects of the fire are obvious but already visually receding.

During our 2 weeks there was only one windy day and the rest of the time was marked for most of the time by the complete lack of any wind - not even a slight breeze. We left a few days before the rain storms.

John R

Offline karen

• View Profile
Hard rain on crete...
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 02:57:37 PM »
Quote from: John R
Quote from: aspasia

I was there at the same time as Alex for two weeks and had the privilidge of meeting him. Hope you can do the same one day.

The effects of the fire are obvious but already visually receding.

During our 2 weeks there was only one windy day and the rest of the time was marked for most of the time by the complete lack of any wind - not even a slight breeze. We left a few days before the rain storms.

John R

we flew back on the tuesday, travelling to chania airport in horendous conditions.  We saw cars washed away, divers in the water looking for survivors, you couldnt tell roads from rivers, water was pouring in our coach.  When we got to the airport there was nothing landing or taking off. We eventualy got on our plane late evening only to find the plane had engine trouble with all the rain.  We finaly took of with the most horrible sounding engine noise ever!  I was glad to get back home, the good news was I had an extra day off work!  It hasnt put me off going back, already planning next years return.
Karen