login

Author Topic: Olympic Holidays  (Read 19497 times)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 04:24:14 PM »
There was an Olympic rep on the bus in 2004, nice guy can't remember his name but was very popular, and he was based in Plakias at the Anna.
So is this all just a cost reduction???

george g...

Went back thro' the forum and found good ol' GARY
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 04:51:13 PM by George »

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 09:56:06 AM »
Roger,

I would advise asking the rep. at the airport or on the transfer whether you will be accompanied to your accommodation and if not how you will find it, etc.

On 2 consecutive Manos holidays I was given a taxi transfer and the taxi driver was not familiar with the resort and took a long time to find the accommodation. That coped with, they were excellent holdays.

I am pretty sure you will be fine. We have been to Kostas Chrysoulla twice and were very happy with it. However, if you don't know where it is it could be difficult to find in the early hours.

Enjoy yourself.

Mike

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Roger,

I would advise asking the rep. at the airport or on the transfer whether you will be accompanied to your accommodation and if not how you will find it, etc.

On 2 consecutive Manos holidays I was given a taxi transfer and the taxi driver was not familiar with the resort and took a long time to find the accommodation. That coped with, they were excellent holdays.

I am pretty sure you will be fine. We have been to Kostas Chrysoulla twice and were very happy with it. However, if you don't know where it is it could be difficult to find in the early hours.

Enjoy yourself.

Mike

many thanks Mike - that is good advice - and / or the rep on the bus to Rethymnon as the rep at the airport might not know
 I have stayed at Costas Chrysoullas before so have a vaue idea where it is but not for many years. My memory is that there is other accomodation right on top of it so not altogether clear where Chrysooulas stops and other places start - certainly I remember overlooking another swimming pool . But it is not so much a question of finding Chrysoulas but of finding the right room and what to do if any problems - ie no key in the door , someone else in the room etc.
some people have mentioned transfer times of about 2 3/4 h ours - is that from the time the coach sets off from the airport or from arrival ? And do they have a coach for each flight or serve a batch of flights - so you might have to wait for another flight to come in and clear ? There are 19 flights altrogether on tuesdays in the Olympic brochure , five of the overnight . I am flying from Luton which is , i think, the fourht of the five flights in terms of departure time - only Glasgow is later
 roger

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 03:27:17 PM »
Quote from: roger
many thanks Mike - that is good advice - and / or the rep on the bus to Rethymnon as the rep at the airport might not know
 I have stayed at Costas Chrysoullas before so have a vaue idea where it is but not for many years. My memory is that there is other accomodation right on top of it so not altogether clear where Chrysooulas stops and other places start - certainly I remember overlooking another swimming pool . But it is not so much a question of finding Chrysoulas but of finding the right room and what to do if any problems - ie no key in the door , someone else in the room etc.
some people have mentioned transfer times of about 2 3/4 h ours - is that from the time the coach sets off from the airport or from arrival ? And do they have a coach for each flight or serve a batch of flights - so you might have to wait for another flight to come in and clear ? There are 19 flights altrogether on tuesdays in the Olympic brochure , five of the overnight . I am flying from Luton which is , i think, the fourht of the five flights in terms of departure time - only Glasgow is later
 roger
Roger,

Kostas Chrysoulla has changed a lot over the years (got larger) so I wouldn't rely on your memory. It is in at least 4 main blocks, plus the rooms by the pool and Zorbas where Harribobs stayed. It is up a little alley off the main seafront. Maybe Compage or Harribobs, both of whom seem to have many photos of Plakias, have one which will help.

In May, it took 1 hour from touchdown to the coach leaving and 2 and a half hours approx to arrive at KC. I was on a Gatwick flight so I think (but can't be sure) we didn't wait for another flight to arrive.

Mike

Offline sheryl

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sherylhume1
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 03:36:14 PM »
from landing up until we got to plakias was about three - three and a half hours. that included waiting for our suitcases and time spent waiting on the bus.  that was on a split transfer - bus to rethymno and taxi to plakias....there is only 1 time i remember having to wait for another flight to arrive and thats been over 20years.  i think at that time in the morning the chances of having a taxi transfer are quite high and should cut the transfer time to about 2hrs.  most of the time on the longer transfers are taken up by the bus having to stop at alot of hotels in bali and rethymno before it eventually heads down to plakias - i know it drives me nuts now but in the first few years ( and in daylight ) i quite liked seeing other resorts and accomodation on the way down and would compare it to plakias
sheryl

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 03:50:03 PM »
In May, it took 1 hour from touchdown to the coach leaving and 2 and a half hours approx to arrive at KC. I was on a Gatwick flight so I think (but can't be sure) we didn't wait for another flight to arrive.

Mike
[/quote]

Last year I think we had to wait for Manchester and Glasgow, so it was some time before we set off from the airport. The fact that we made numerous drops in and around Rethymnon and Bali counted for the 3 hour 45 min overall transfer.  
It was exactly 1 hour from Rethymnon to Plakias.  

Hope I'm not worrying you too much Roger!!  
I've seen a couple of transfer times from this year and they've been pretty good so far.  

george g...

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 03:59:20 PM »
Kostas Chrysoulla has changed a lot over the years (got larger) so I wouldn't rely on your memory. It is in at least 4 main blocks, plus the rooms by the pool and Zorbas where Harribobs stayed. It is up a little alley off the main seafront. Maybe Compage or Harribobs, both of whom seem to have many photos of Plakias, have one which will help.

Mike
[/quote]

Many thanks Mike - I certainly would not rely on my memory  especially when I will be dog tired from the long overnight journey . I very much hope that there is someone to guide me to the accomodation .
 I cannot place Zorbas but it may be where the other pool is - across the lane from Chrysoulla.
 i also remember the rep who sadly died a few yers ago and was married to a local taxi driver who lives very nearby
roger

Quote from: sherylhume1
from landing up until we got to plakias was about three - three and a half hours. that included waiting for our suitcases and time spent waiting on the bus.  that was on a split transfer - bus to rethymno and taxi to plakias....there is only 1 time i remember having to wait for another flight to arrive and thats been over 20years.  i think at that time in the morning the chances of having a taxi transfer are quite high and should cut the transfer time to about 2hrs.  most of the time on the longer transfers are taken up by the bus having to stop at alot of hotels in bali and rethymno before it eventually heads down to plakias - i know it drives me nuts now but in the first few years ( and in daylight ) i quite liked seeing other resorts and accomodation on the way down and would compare it to plakias
I certainly have no wish to circumnavigate Rethyonon which i have done many times . Only good thing about that is that it makes me realise how lucky I am to be staying in Plakias- i cannot wait to get out of Rethymon. And yes it is that which prolongs the transfer time - i think I have done it in about 1 1/2 hours in a taxi though the driving was maniacal . The other thing which occurs to me is that flights from Luton to Iraklion are quite rare , so it is possible that the passengers will be split between a lot of operators so with fewer Olympic customers , there might be an increased chance of a taxi - but then a decreased chance of a rep on arrival .
 Ali - what time do you open in the morning ! but you will be on kosmar duty yourself presumably ?
 roger
 roger

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 04:02:54 PM »
'i quite liked seeing other resorts and accomodation on the way down and would compare it to plakias'

Hi Sheryl

I must admit the journey thro' Platinas and the Rethymnon suburbs really make me feel lucky that I have found Plakias and I really do quite enjoy the trip.
Admittedly I always get an early morning flight so at least I get to see it in daylight.

george g...

Offline sheryl

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 04:52:43 PM »
I dont know if this helps anybody, but i tried??????????
sheryl

Offline sheryl

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 05:39:34 PM »
i hope i've got this right,even though the spelling is a bit dodgy - if i've missed something tell me and i'll change it
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:46:43 PM by sherylhume1 »
sheryl

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 06:21:56 PM »
Quote from: sherylhume1
i hope i've got this right,even though the spelling is a bit dodgy - if i've missed something tell me and i'll change it

Terrific - many thanks .
I think though that i should be able to find Chryssoula - finding my room is more likely to be a problem
roger

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 10:15:51 AM »
here's another map to get you there

Offline Ali & Dave

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2006, 11:50:58 AM »
Roger, we open the shop 8.30ish which unfortunately isn't really much help as I think you'll find staff in the K.C. pool bar by then.  I hope all goes well for you.

And dispite misleading information from Sheryl   I don't usually hang out in the beach bar until all hours of the morning!! Yes. Sheryl it was your bad influence!! Only been there twice this year and both times were with you.  Good fun though.

Ali

Offline sheryl

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 09:02:16 PM »
sorry ali   - just having a laugh- i'm sure you'll get out and about before the end of the season
sheryl

Offline roger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Olympic Holidays
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 03:34:11 PM »
[quote name='Ali & Dave' date='Aug 5 2006, 11:50 AM' post='7013']
Roger, we open the shop 8.30ish which unfortunately isn't really much help as I think you'll find staff in the K.C. pool bar by then.  I hope all goes well for you.

Thanks Ali . The only staff I remember seeing in the pool area at that time was the chap who cleaned it out - and he could not speak any English I dont think . so especially with dlight delays possible , you never know , i might pitch up on your doorstep just as you are opening !
 roger