login

Author Topic: Various Questions??  (Read 16937 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 12:58:09 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Switching to the Euro would make things slightly easier but so long as the ATMs work, it's no hassle using the Nationwide Debit Card. As for the Drachma - I'm all for that. Prices were significantly lower before the Euro. I remember the first year after Euroisation :'( we saw some Ouzo in a petrol station shop still priced in drachmas - under 500 for 1/2 litre. The attendent converted it to Euro and we got a bargain (two actually).
Of course it would be more convenient for foreign travel if the UK adopted the € but the main point is that there seem to be sound economic reasons to keep the £. I'm sure the majority in the UK would vote to keep it.

In the resorts I went to in 2002, when I think the € currency went into circulation, there wasn't a noticeable increase in prices from the previous year. However, when the Greeks were using drachma I remember how much prices went up year on year. So the € has introduced financial discipline into Greece.

Mike

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
In the resorts I went to in 2002, when I think the € currency went into circulation, there wasn't a noticeable increase in prices from the previous year. However, when the Greeks were using drachma I remember how much prices went up year on year. So the € has introduced financial discipline into Greece.

Mike
I'm sure you are correct about financial dicipline and that inflation was higher when Greece had the Drachma but the exchange rate also got  more favourable , year on year so  costs for tourists didn't rise much. Mind you - I've no complaints about the prices - still cheaper than the most other Mediterranean destinations.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Various Questions??
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 02:13:57 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Mind you - I've no complaints about the prices - still cheaper than the most other Mediterranean destinations.
Yes, things like taverna meals are extremely reasonably priced. This is in marked contrast to food in supermarkets where most people's weekly shop would be much cheaper in the UK. There are some exceptions; alcoholic drinks spring to mind.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 02:14:43 PM by Mike G »

Offline jenny

• View Profile
Various Questions??
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »
I remember the pension/taverna owner in Lesvos whilst complaining about the Euro and inflation telling us

'For example when I used to buy a bunch of parsley it was 10 drach - now the greengrocer says 'give me a Euro' - I tell him to %$&$&^'

(ie Greek word which we assumed converted to 'sex and travel')

LOL
Jenny

Naturist and Hell's Grandma