Author Topic: Cretan Safari  (Read 1910 times)

Offline covboy

• View Profile
Cretan Safari
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »
There I was with my wife on Micro Amoudi. We went for a swim and looked back up the beach. Above the beach on the dirt track were about a dozen Cretan Safari jeeps with the people in them standing up taking pictures of everyone on the beach. The lead jeep had someone with a big video camera filming it all.
Does anyone else here on Plakias Forum think that this is quite disgusting and should be stopped? Or am I over-reacting?

Offline JackieatUrbanAgenda

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cretan Safari
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »
Hmmm.....we saw the 'safari trailers' in Plakias for the first time last year. As they had booked in to one of the tavernas for lunch they brought welcomed and predictable income to the village...you cant blame the local owners for that.
The safari organisers do tend to go for the 'experience' and, unfortunately, that commonly means roaring on to a secluded beach (whether or not there are other users and regardless of their state of dress)...it's a bit of a 'they came, they clicked...they buggered off' scenario. It can be very disturbing. They make their money by filming the day as a souvenir.
However it does depend on the company doing the organising. We took part in a safari a few years ago that visited inland Crete (including a working monastery) and then toured the really remote south coast. I can safely say it was one of the most amazing things I have ever done as the landscapes and the access to hidden Crete was unprecedented...but, the company we used made it clear...no booze...especially for the drivers....and be aware of those around you.
I wouldn't say it's disgusting but it can be an intrusion depending on the approach.....not sure there's much that can be done though.