login

Author Topic: Parking in Plakias  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
Parking in Plakias
« on: May 08, 2015, 02:06:45 PM »
As from next Monday there will be no on street parking from the Alianthos hotel to the harbour including the squares.
There are municipal car parks set up but we are not too sure of the exact locations at the moment.

Very hot this week on our arrival, in the thirties the last three days but the wind has arrived today.

The old 'Platia' bar coffee shop is now a BBQ bar, it looks very nice but we haven't tried it yet.
There is also a new bar opened opposite the Pharmacy 'The Cozy Backyard' opened by Mikies who used to serve in the Smerna bar.

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Parking in Plakias
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 11:54:57 PM »
I wonder how that is going to work. It would be nice to be able to see the sea instead of cars, but it could affect  business on the front, and make the side streets choked with parking. What will happen to the entertainment of eating in the souvlaki house in the evening and watching cars narrowly avoiding each other in the car park, and just missing the tables in the road? Keep us posted about how it goes.

Even if you can't park near your favourite places, hopefully the new bar is on your doorstep.

The view in the webcam has been beautiful. I'm jealous, but pleased that you are able to be there and benefit from the warmth, relaxation and sunshine.

Arnaki

Offline Colin & Sandra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
Looking at the Web Cam today it doesn't look like they understand Yellow lines!
Who's going to enforce it anyway, I think I've only seen the Rozzers once in Plakias

Offline Dave&Les

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:41:20 PM »
On Monday the first day the police were very active & only a few brave people parked longer than the permitted 15minutes for shopping & they were issued parking tickets.
Yesterday & today most people were parking as normal & the police were not patrolling also the no parking boards were missing.
Only in Greece!!!
We will see how long it lasts.

Offline bwian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
How is that parking restriction working..?

Offline Dave&Les

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 09:13:13 AM »
As you can imagine it didn't last long & people were parking & getting away with it most of the time.
The Police started patrolling on motorbikes about three weeks ago but were driving slowly with blue lights & sirens going so it gave people time to move their cars to the car parks. Some people did get tickets & it kept everyone alert for a couple of days!!

As I'm disabled Dave asked a policeman if we could park using my blue badge but he said no, only in a disabled bay & as there are no disabled bays in Plakias, that was it we had to abide by the rules but he said if you do get a ticket take it to Rethymnon traffic police with the blue badge & they would tear up the ticket!! (only in Greece)

Les

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »

As I'm disabled Dave asked a policeman if we could park using my blue badge but he said no, only in a disabled bay & as there are no disabled bays in Plakias, that was it we had to abide by the rules but he said if you do get a ticket take it to Rethymnon traffic police with the blue badge & they would tear up the ticket!! (only in Greece)

Here is some useful information about using the blue badge in other EU countries.  http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/blue_badge_abroad.pdf.  It depends on how you interpret: "Do not park on roads where parking is prohibited" and "In most areas you may park without time limit on roads where parking is free but restricted by time."

From what you originally said, parking is restricted to 15 minutes, but you don't want a ticket or a trip to Rethymno, it sounds as if it is best to do as you are told.

Arnaki