Author Topic: INDEPENDANCE  (Read 16270 times)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »
Well that's me sorted for this year.
I booked independantly for the first time, and I was surprised how easy it was.
OK, it turns out more expensive than the Holiday companies but the choice of flights and accomadation gave me so much more to choose from. I can understand now why so many people do it!

I got the apartments I wanted and the room I wanted, overlooking the beach and the Dinosaur sunsets, and the flight gets me into Plakias in time for lunch, and at peak time, 21st August.

If it all turns out OK, I think I might be a convert (thats 'convert' Mandy), until the holiday companies start including a more varied catalogue, and show a little bit more consideration for the lone traveller.

george g...

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:29:41 PM »
Quote from: George
OK, it turns out more expensive than the Holiday companies but the choice of flights and accomadation gave me so much more to choose from. I can understand now why so many people do it!

I got the apartments I wanted and the room I wanted, overlooking the beach and the Dinosaur sunsets, and the flight gets me into Plakias in time for lunch, and at peak time, 21st August.

If it all turns out OK, I think I might be a convert (thats 'convert' Mandy), until the holiday companies start including a more varied catalogue, and show a little bit more consideration for the lone traveller.

george g...

I am very pleased for you. What you say above has all the elements of a perfect holiday for you without any niggling doubts about what 3rd parties may or may not be providing for you. We feel exactly the same. It does cost us a little more than some of the Kosmar/Olympic offers but like you we choose where we want to stay, choose our flights, and choose the duration of our stay. Have a great time. We will be there fairly soon after you on 21 September so leave a bit of sunshine for us.

John

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 01:42:12 PM »
Quote from: John R

george g...

I am very pleased for you. What you say above has all the elements of a perfect holiday for you without any niggling doubts about what 3rd parties may or may not be providing for you. We feel exactly the same. It does cost us a little more than some of the Kosmar/Olympic offers but like you we choose where we want to stay, choose our flights, and choose the duration of our stay. Have a great time. We will be there fairly soon after you on 21 September so leave a bit of sunshine for us.

John

Thanks John
The reason I'm going a lot earlier this year is that last year there were a few chilly evenings and days and I had to wear trousers and sweatshirt.
I going and hoping for HOT HOT HOT this year and if there's any sun left over, I'm going to bottle it and bring it home with me  

george

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:28:28 PM »
a convert eh George?? is that a cross between a convict and pervert?     nevermind, we still love you

well we have currently booked the last two weeks in august so we may well see you, but it's really open to change, it is really depending on what holidays mandy can get in her new job. which as you've all probably guessed doesn't leave her any time for t'interweb ! ( all together....ahhhh!)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 04:48:26 PM »
I think we all lean towards one or the other Chris  

Look forward to meeting you and the 'missus', if you get there then.

george g...

Offline Alex&fran G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundy
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »

george g...
Hi George, I am also there until 25th of August it would be nice to put a face to a name, Regards Alex G
MAKE SURE YOUR MEMORIES ARE NEVER GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 02:28:05 PM »
Quote from: Alex&fran G

george g...
Hi George, I am also there until 25th of August it would be nice to put a face to a name, Regards Alex G

Hi Alex
Look forward to it.
It looks like I'm going to be busy, Pete and Dawn arrive on my second week, their moving in next door.  

george g...

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:17:06 PM »

george g...

Like George we have booked directly this year.

Our daughter is fed up with us continually praising Plakias, so she is joining us this year, and like so many others have found the single supplements are a rip off. We will report back to the forum with our experiences as independent travellers on our return.

This will be our 3 visit to Plakias in as many years (George has got a lot to answer for......)

26 weeks and counting.

Hope to see some of you there.

Pete & Dawn

Mandy Harrison

INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 01:22:02 PM »
Quote from: John R

george g...

John

Thanks John
The reason I'm going a lot earlier this year is that last year there were a few chilly evenings and days and I had to wear trousers and sweatshirt.
I going and hoping for HOT HOT HOT this year and if there's any sun left over, I'm going to bottle it and bring it home with me  

george

Dont be getting too carried away with your little self George on the sun front.  For two reasons: 1) I will soaking it all up in May and there wont be much left when I have finished with it and 2) when I get there in August the sun will be on me - partly because we all know the sun shines on the righteous!  

Quote from: harribobs
a convert eh George?? is that a cross between a convict and pervert?     nevermind, we still love you

well we have currently booked the last two weeks in august so we may well see you, but it's really open to change, it is really depending on what holidays mandy can get in her new job. which as you've all probably guessed doesn't leave her any time for t'interweb ! ( all together....ahhhh!)

Mmmmmmmmm I think this forum needs me - been all sorts going on whilst I have been inactive.  I will try harder to get on more.  Converts and perverts - what have I been missing?  

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 01:32:47 PM »
Converts and perverts - what have I been missing?  

US!!
I'll have a quite word with Chris if you get there,   don't worry about it  

george g...

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Quote from: Peter&Dawn
Our daughter is fed up with us continually praising Plakias, so she is joining us this year, and like so many others have found the single supplements are a rip off. We will report back to the forum with our experiences as independent travellers on our return.
Pete & Dawn
Hello Pete & Dawn,

Surely independently booking and paying for a studio/apartment for 2 and singly occupying it is much the same as paying a single supplement; unless, that is, you are booking a room/studio for one at a lower price. Of the main-line tour operators Olympic charge a modest single supplement and Kosmar either won't allow singles or charge a very high supplement.

Personally, I have often gone to Greece on my own and if I'm occupying a room for two don't believe it is unreasonable to charge a supplement as the cost of the room has to be borne by one paying customer rather than two. If you are in a single room then that is a different matter but of all the times I have been to Greece as a single I have always been in a room for two.

For companies like Manos who allow singles to travel supplement free in low season to sell holidays that might not otherwise be sold, I consider that a real bonus rather than something I have a right to.

As George has said, booking independently has allowed him much more flexibility and choice but has cost him more.

What does anyone else think on this?  

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 02:16:11 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Quote from: Peter&Dawn
Pete & Dawn
Hello Pete & Dawn,

Surely independently booking and paying for a studio/apartment for 2 and singly occupying it is much the same as paying a single supplement; unless, that is, you are booking a room/studio for one at a lower price. Of the main-line tour operators Olympic charge a modest single supplement and Kosmar either won't allow singles or charge a very high supplement.

Personally, I have often gone to Greece on my own and if I'm occupying a room for two don't believe it is unreasonable to charge a supplement as the cost of the room has to be borne by one paying customer rather than two. If you are in a single room then that is a different matter but of all the times I have been to Greece as a single I have always been in a room for two.

For companies like Manos who allow singles to travel supplement free in low season to sell holidays that might not otherwise be sold, I consider that a real bonus rather than something I have a right to.

As George has said, booking independently has allowed him much more flexibility and choice but has cost him more.

What does anyone else think on this?  

Mike

I agree with what your saying Mike, (except the word modest, £9.50 a day = £133 or 195 odd Euros for 14 days, that's a lot of Mythos), and I've also travelled alone on numerous occations and have always had a double room. Reason: when was the last time you saw a single room advertised?
This time I had the choice of a single or a double and chose the latter because that is what I wanted and not what would have been imposed on me for the extra suppliment with the holiday companies.
There is always the added advantage that if at a later date someone wanted to join me, all they would have to do is get a flight. It's not always that easy with a company. Probably because I've nicked the flight that goes with the holiday!  

You Buy a room, you Buy a flight ticket. There's no hidden agendas  

george g...

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 04:01:48 PM »
The whole of the accommodation industry is skewed towards couples and this is driven by supply and demand.

As Mike G says, those costs which are priced between two people fall upon one person for a single booking. It isn’t just the room, I’m sure the companies also include, at least, transit, rep and something to make their profit up to the level obtained on a couple booking.

I assume that the £9.50 George quotes is for Olympic and does not sound too far out to me. I do not know the Kosmar figure, but I think they positively discourage singles, so are unlikely to price the supplements logically.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 04:12:03 PM »
Quote from: Mike from Sussex
The whole of the accommodation industry is skewed towards couples and this is driven by supply and demand.

As Mike G says, those costs which are priced between two people fall upon one person for a single booking. It isn’t just the room, I’m sure the companies also include, at least, transit, rep and something to make their profit up to the level obtained on a couple booking.

I assume that the £9.50 George quotes is for Olympic and does not sound too far out to me. I do not know the Kosmar figure, but I think they positively discourage singles, so are unlikely to price the supplements logically.

Mike

Your right Mike, it is for Olympic.

Kosmar quote in their brochure that 'prices are available on request' and when I phoned them for the last holiday about December time, they asked me when I wanted to go and they said we don't do singles basically unless you want to go tomorrow.

They even blank you out on their website. Try booking a single!

george g...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:13:09 PM by George »

Offline Steve Jones

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
INDEPENDANCE
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 10:51:59 PM »
Although we always looked at the price comparison between package and booking independently, last year when we made a comparison we found there was hardly anything in it for the times we book (July/August).

This year our flights and accomodation are over 15% less than last year so for us booking independently is less than booking a package with far more flexibility.

Steve