Author Topic: Consumers warned against independent trips to Greece  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Voloudakis

• View Profile
Consumers warned against independent trips to Greece
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
Consumers warned against independent trips to Greece

A consumer watchdog is urging holidaymakers considering trips to Greece to book packages to ensure their money is protected if the country exits the eurozone this summer.

Which? is warning its readers that packages booked through UK tour operators are a safer bet than booking flights and accommodation separately, said a report in the Telegraph. It went on to say that holidaymakers who do book independent trips should pay by credit card, so they will be guaranteed refunds if things do go wrong, and to buy travel insurance with supplier failure cover.

A senior economist last week warned that tourists visiting Greece could face fuel and food shortages if the country defaults on its debt and abandons the euro, which prompted the Association of Greek Tourism Enterprises to highlight the value for money available to holidaymakers.

It is hoping that recent price reductions by hoteliers and restaurants will lure more tourists who might otherwise be put off by Greece's financial and political instability.

However, a survey by travel search website Skyscanner today revealed that Greece is still more expensive for a one-week holiday than Portugal, Spain, Morocco, France and Egypt.

Greece ranked as only the 10th cheapest country for a seven-day holiday, including flights. When Skyscanner looked at the daily cost of living, it came in 17th place, making it more expensive than even Iceland and Japan.

Telegraph story here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9295308/Book-a-package-visitors-to-Greece-advised.html
Personally think this is scaremongering and independent travellers already buy the proper insurance and book via credit card.
Greece is more expensive to eat out or buy a drink than Spain or Portugal IMHO but it is for other reasons that we go there.
For us there is nowhere else we would rather be.. The culture, the people and the history is why we visit year after year.
I have to admit that the last time I booked independently was 1991 though. Packages are much cheaper for those of us who have very little income and need our money to go a bit further.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:30:52 PM by Lampyland »

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Consumers warned against independent trips to Greece
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
Hear! Hear!
I have no intention of abandoning Plakias and will continue to travel independently.
I may suffer a bit of inconvenience if the taxis and buses don't run but I'm more than prepared to take that risk.
I'm also looking forward to a few weeks of excellent Greek food; fresh, tasty and inexpensive.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
By chance I am with a package this time. However I would be quite happy to be independent and if things went wrong I would be confident that while in Plakias we would be ok. The locals would see to that. The best way we can help is to carry on going there. Now is not the tome to hold off.

My reservation about packages is the smaller proportion the locals get out of the deal. However despite my package I have still booked separately accommodation in my usual place so my money will go direct to the Greeks for that bit - and the food and bars.

The only thing I will make sure of is that I have plenty of cash. If Greece goes bust when there the ATMs most likely won't work. But any Euros in hand will be very welcome by the locals even if they are heading to the drachma and would indeed be a bonus to those who take them.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »

I think we could all cope if things did go wrong, but in Plakias would it be that bad? We are going independant again using Zachs Taxi from and to the airport and staying at the Castello. Also spending loads on beer and food just for a change!

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
Same here, staying at Gio Mars on 14th Sept, make a change from early July, gonna spend loads on beer and grub, can't wait!! :)

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
I'm going independently this year as usual.  Paid my airfare by credit card - so safe there - and I can't see Morpheas folding by the time I get there in August.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Davos

• MSN Messenger - plakias@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://davosplakias.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
Hi
Done the same as you Noopsy, and also staying at the Morpheas but in June/July. If Olga has anything to say on the matter I will let you know. At the risk of sounding like a copy cat, spending loads on beer and food is what we will be doing.

If any of you are there maybe we can share a mythos or two.

Davos.
Smile you are in Plakias. :)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
I'm going independently this year as usual.  Paid my airfare by credit card - so safe there - and I can't see Morpheas folding by the time I get there in August.

Noopsy
Yes you would get a refund but in the event of the airline going out of business you would have to make the arrangements for getting home yourself.

This could be seriously stressful. Ask George about his experience when XL ceased trading when he was in Plakias.

Mike

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
Yes I remember how glum Gerorge was when XL went bust.  But I'm flying with Aegean so no worries there. 

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος