Author Topic: Hasn't Plakias changed!  (Read 20583 times)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 10:02:47 PM »
Quote from: Greecemad
Quote from: Noopsy 500
Is this the oldest image of the village we have on the forum?

Noopsy,

It definitely is. I might even be the oldest photograph of the village that there is anywhere. What surprises me is that there are any buildings at all behind the beach. I would have thought that in those days the only buildings would be at the port which I thought was the oldest part. There must have been two parts to the village for a long time - the bit around the port and then the bit around where the Livikon and Alianthos now are.

Greecemad

Wonderful photo

Yes - that is what surprised me as well. I thought a census in even more recent times than 1928 indicated only about 6 people actually living in Plakias. A larger number of people are easily explained by the proximity of Selia but there do seem to be a lot of buildings for about 6 people.

John R

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 10:18:57 AM »
Quote from: John R
Yes - that is what surprised me as well. I thought a census in even more recent times than 1928 indicated only about 6 people actually living in Plakias. A larger number of people are easily explained by the proximity of Selia but there do seem to be a lot of buildings for about 6 people.

John R

Having the authorities know you exist can result in nasty things like taxation and worse, so I don't think I would put too much faith in old census returns.

Mike

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 11:00:54 AM »
Quote from: Mike from Sussex
Quote from: John R

John R

Having the authorities know you exist can result in nasty things like taxation and worse, so I don't think I would put too much faith in old census returns.

Mike
A bit of (educated) guesswork, on my part but (in the days before the internal combustion engine was commonplace) ....

A lot of island resorts are built around "fishing villages" which were traditionally inhabited during the months when the sea was calmest.  The fishing families (menfolk) moved down to the beach for the season and used basic homes (a bed room and outside kitchen).

The alternative is the Stalis/Stalida model - farming families move down onto the plain to take care of the crops, in season.

{Digression: if "horta" is the root word for "horticulture", how come "horta" is translated as "wild greens"?}
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline jenny

• View Profile
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 03:08:56 PM »
[/quote]
A bit of (educated) guesswork, on my part but (in the days before the internal combustion engine was commonplace) ....

A lot of island resorts are built around "fishing villages" which were traditionally inhabited during the months when the sea was calmest.  The fishing families (menfolk) moved down to the beach for the season and used basic homes (a bed room and outside kitchen).

The alternative is the Stalis/Stalida model - farming families move down onto the plain to take care of the crops, in season.
[/quote]

Think this is about right; in Plak in the early 90's we spent a lot of time in the bar/restaurant above the Forum (with the oval bar everyone sat round and chatted) and an older man (who knew a lot more about Crete's involvement than we then had a clue about!) was asking them about the war; one of the barmen talked about his grandad's involvement, I can remember him saying something to the effect that 'no-one actually lived here then, you understand it was just a fishing village, not where families lived - everyone had land and their olive trees further up the gorge'.  

There still was (he said) locally a great distrust/dislike of anyone German - and certainly this was quite clearly demonstrated by the behaviour of quite a young girl at the Alianthos re car hire one day, when she insisted speaking English to a poor German bloke although she clearly understood what he was saying/asking her in his native tongue.  And she did what the Brits used to do everywhere  ie when he didn't understand she just spoke louder and with such a condescending inflection - although it was quite funny (cos he was getting very cross) - I did actually feel quite sorry for the chap!

Oh, and I forgot to say, the pics on all the adverts for Preveli beach in the early 1990's showed more or less that view and as long as you could get there reasonably early (first boat LOL) you could still go nude on the beach then, on the far right (looking from the sea).  It was a relief to go there and not be sandblasted ! (August)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 03:30:07 PM by jenny »
Jenny

Naturist and Hell's Grandma

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 12:33:13 PM »
[attachment=494:plak1.jpg][attachment=495:plak.jpg]

Where's this?
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 12:46:21 PM »
Quote from: Barny
[attachment=494:plak1.jpg][attachment=495:plak.jpg]

Where's this?

Pictures from the web site of the Plakias Taxi Company owned by Zacharias Zourbakis.

One is of plakias promanade and the other I think is the gorge after Asomatos  

http://www.taxi4you.gr/overall.asp?lang=uk

Tony
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 10:35:54 PM »
i'll have to come forward a few years, well to the present actually, here's a pic of something that's changed recently

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:07 AM »
Is it just as you come into Giannou from the Preveli end. I remember there was a washing area there, although that had a stone roof.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
i'll have to come forward a few years, well to the present actually, here's a pic of something that's changed recently

They've made a nice job of that laundry at Mirthios (or should that be Mythos   ).

John R

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »
Yes,
Mirthios , Mythos its all the same in the end!!  they have done it up well, what's it used for now?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2007, 07:43:56 PM »
i don't really think it's being used as anything but they've certainly made it a very pleasant place to visit and perhaps take a few minutes

Offline variemename

• View Profile
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2007, 01:28:36 AM »
Quote from: harribobs
i don't really think it's being used as anything but they've certainly made it a very pleasant place to visit and perhaps take a few minutes

4 changes have been introduced to this picture, can anyone spot them?

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2007, 03:26:13 PM »
Lamp Missing, Rucksac Missing, Shadow missing and it's been lightened (if that's one of them).

george g...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 03:27:26 PM by George »

Offline variemename

• View Profile
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 09:09:37 PM »
Quote from: George
Lamp Missing, Rucksac Missing, Shadow missing and it's been lightened (if that's one of them).

george g...
He..he..h.e..h.e..h.e.he... the last one needs a bit more effort ! you got the first three right but there is another one!

Offline Barny

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hasn't Plakias changed!
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2007, 08:20:39 AM »
The metal fence looks different to the left of the lamp post?

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?