login

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 5875 times)

Offline johnwhit

• View Profile
    • http://
Greetings
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:58:54 PM »
Hello to everyone, thank you to Admin for sorting out my Validation problem. Visited Crete on a property viewing trip at the end of October and visited Plakias on our last day. Have been to other Greek Islands but Crete was amazing. There was something about Plakias that just grabbed me even though we were only there for a short time and i decided to holiday there next year. It was after booking for next summer when i happened upon this site and now wish i had found it before i booked as you people could have guided my choice of Holiday company and accomadation. Anyway too late now its booked.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:23:20 AM »
Quote from: johnwhit
Hello to everyone, thank you to Admin for sorting out my Validation problem. Visited Crete on a property viewing trip at the end of October and visited Plakias on our last day. Have been to other Greek Islands but Crete was amazing. There was something about Plakias that just grabbed me even though we were only there for a short time and i decided to holiday there next year. It was after booking for next summer when i happened upon this site and now wish i had found it before i booked as you people could have guided my choice of Holiday company and accomadation. Anyway too late now its booked.
Welcome Johnwhit
If we can help somebody on our way through life it makes it all worthwhile   .

One more 'Olympic' customer??

george g...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:23:54 AM by George »

Offline johnwhit

• View Profile
Greetings
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
Quote from: George
Welcome Johnwhit
If we can help somebody on our way through life it makes it all worthwhile   .

One more 'Olympic' customer??

george g...

Offline johnwhit

• View Profile
Greetings
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:54:22 PM »
Yes George you guessed correctly. Over the years we have used Kosmar a lot but we could not make their daytime flight from Manchester. I then noticed the Olympic flight on the same evening which we can just make and this allows us to spend a fortnight in Crete.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 08:06:55 AM »
Yes George you guessed correctly. Over the years we have used Kosmar a lot but we could not make their daytime flight from Manchester. I then noticed the Olympic flight on the same evening which we can just make and this allows us to spend a fortnight in Crete.
If you check out the 'Kosmar' thread, you'll find that you would have been disappointed!

george g...

Offline johnwhit

• View Profile
Greetings
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 01:04:24 PM »
I was on the Kosmar site and could not get any prices for Plakias but just thought it was a computer glitch. Later when i found this site i realised why. I phoned Olympic and they beat their own internet price and i was happy until i read some of the comments on here about them, but like i said earlier its done now.

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
I was on the Kosmar site and could not get any prices for Plakias but just thought it was a computer glitch. Later when i found this site i realised why. I phoned Olympic and they beat their own internet price and i was happy until i read some of the comments on here about them, but like i said earlier its done now.
Hello John,

Yes, Olympic has this strange policy of beating their internet price if you ring them. I have been on several holidays with them (to Plakias and other places) and have always enjoyed them. You just need to be realistic and not expect luxury for the price you are paying. However, you do expect to get what they have advertised, for the accommodation to be clean, adequately equiped/maintained, and serviced as per the brochure.

As you now know Kosmar has pulled out leaving only Olympic as a "middle of the road" tour operator going there. The choice of properties is quite limited (3 self catering plus the 2 Alianthos hotels).

During the years I have been a member of this forum there has been a marked change in that booking independently is now much more popular than it was. This is partly owing to the demise of First Choice and now Kosmar but also to a culture change I think. There is no doubt that booking independently gives you a much better choice of accommodation. On the downside it is more expensive and there are lots of posts on the forum about the charter airlines changing flights and even selling out to competitors. Another downside is the transfer if you don't have a car for the duration of your holiday.

I hope you enjoy Plakias next year. It certainly does have an almost unique appeal and if the developers can be kept at bay it may, fingers crossed, remain so.

Mike

Offline johnwhit

• View Profile
Greetings
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 05:45:54 PM »
Hello Mike, totally agree with your sentiments, but as far as the building market goes companies like the one we visited with are creating a large market in the UK for properties in places like Plakias. All they charged us was 75quid , for the pair of us. We were shown many new devolpments all over the island and they were selling like hot cakes, not just to Brits but Germans and French as well. We looked at a new devolpment in a village 5 minutes drive from Plakias but we saw so many i cannot remember its name. We just called in for a beer and a snack before going to the airport but there was something about the place that made me want to come back. We normally go to Mykonos and Naxos for a fortnight in summer but i was so taken by Crete that we will have a change next year.