Author Topic: This forum is commin' like a ghost town  (Read 6769 times)

Offline Dave&Les

• AOL Instant Messenger - Dave&Les
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This forum is commin' like a ghost town
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 08:53:16 AM »
We've been here since 1st August & it's been fabulous,  nice temperature & less wind than normal.
Very busy early in the month but quieter now after the Greek holidays.
Not much change bit of progress on the new development, zebra crossing's (which nobody respects) two way traffic past Ostraco towards harbour.
The new Health Centre is now manned daily around mid-day for approx. 3 hours, that's opposite Apollo hotel next to the council offices.
Most things are normal & great to see familiar faces returning to Plakias.

We will be here in September so will give an update then.

PS forgot to mention the shark visit which caused excitement , baby blue shark so no real danger.

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 12:35:06 PM »
Like others have mentioned, I check this site almost every day and read any news avidly - 35 hours left at work this week and then my Plakias preparations get underway - fly in on Tuesday night next week for our 2 week break and just cannot wait !!!  So looking forward to catching up with friends and seeing what's changed in the town as well as relaxing with a G&T in Joe's and a red wine or several with old faces in Kostas Crysoula...deciding where to eat...we put all the names of the restaurants in a bowl and pull one out each day....then start arguing if we really want to do that one that night or save it...put it back in and try another one...simple things !   

Offline FionaCW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
OMG - just looked at the webcam - huge fab waves on the beach today and 32 degrees..............!!!

Offline micklfc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
Visiting Plakias for the 14th year in a row flying out next Tuesday for 2 weeks staying with Costas for the first time since 2005 really looking to see all the regulars again and of course Aggelos.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 03:29:24 PM »
I think it's gone quiet because people are away on their annual holidays.  Maybe when they get back they will share their news and impressions with the rest of us, and the forum will then liven up.
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »
I normally go to Plakias every August and have done for the last 29 years but unfortunately I was unable to make it this August. I decided to have a week in September. I am amazed as to the amount of rooms that are fully booked.
Is it really that busy in September? is the beach full (far end) and all the tavernas ETC?
i am going to wait until next August now as it's guaranteed to be nice and quiet.
Have a good one everybody!

Barny.
We went last year in early September as we always do and couldn't get our usual room at Calma apartments as they were full-the first time this has happened. Generally busy on the beaches when we were there but strangely rather quiet around the tavernas in the evening. We're off again on the 22nd of this month and will do an update then.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 07:33:36 AM »
Interesting. I look forward to your update.

Barny.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:09:24 PM by Barny »
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Noggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 08:45:18 AM »
We arrived here on Saturday and two of our party were given temporary rooms for the night at Alianthos Beach because they are fully booked. We were given rooms with a sea view for the rest of our stay so we're not complaining. We were told that many of the hotels are also fully booked for September.
The weather is fantastic for me, not too hot and some cloud cover. Very little wind. Good for walking.

Offline JaneGary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »
Sounds good-we always choose September, as do many others, as not so hot and the wind tends to be more bearable. I checked on the weather link from this site previously and September has the lowest average wind. 12 days to go!

Offline stavros

• Also Pedro_on_Tour on Tripadvisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 09:48:22 AM »
Not Plakias, but people in Sougia told us that all rooms in town were booked until mid-October. The extended season of retired northern Europeans is very healthy for southern Crete.
Visiting Greece and Crete since 1984