Author Topic: Suggestion - default view fo all topics  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Alex_Kidd

  • Regulars
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« on: August 20, 2006, 12:20:12 AM »
I would suggest one tip that, IMHO, is a better visualization of the forum...
Since I've registered (I think about one month ago), I only discovered it today!

There are many "hidden" topics, unless you choose the "show all" option (see my pic), that's not the default one.
I think that it would be more appreciating if all the topics were visible from the beginning, and only if one doesn't want to see them all, could hide the older ones.

Alternatively, there should be a way to "fix" this (like a cookie), so if I choose to view all the topics, I don't have to choose again and again that option everytime that I connect to site.

Keep in mind, it's only a suggestion, and my personal idea.  
bye
Alex
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 12:24:17 AM by Alex_Kidd »

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 720
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:10:36 AM »
Hi Alex,

This can be changed but unfortunately it will affect all users.
We can see what everyone thinks if you like?

Probably not too important in a forum of this size but it would have a performance impact.

Regards,

Paul

Offline compage

  • Regulars
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 455
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 11:40:33 AM »
How about putting a pinned topic at the top?
Something like 'Don't miss out, view all posts.' containing instructions on how to show all posts.

It might be useful to include some information about searching too, along with a couple of examples, say, 'cash' or 'transfer' or whatever.
John Page

Offline Alex_Kidd

  • Regulars
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 11:54:32 PM »
Quote from: compage
How about putting a pinned topic at the top?
Something like 'Don't miss out, view all posts.' containing instructions on how to show all posts.

It might be useful to include some information about searching too, along with a couple of examples, say, 'cash' or 'transfer' or whatever.

I agree with you. That's a good idea!  
For example in the "Where to eat" part of the forum, it is more simple to find a place to eat ordering topics by name and showing all of them. This, though, would be better if all topics of the "Where to eat" group started with the name of the taverna/restaurant...    but it's however a better way to show them.
bye,
Ale  

Offline Graham_and_Karen

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 762
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 08:41:52 AM »
Quote from: Alex_Kidd
I would suggest one tip that, IMHO, is a better visualization of the forum...
Since I've registered (I think about one month ago), I only discovered it today!

There are many "hidden" topics, unless you choose the "show all" option (see my pic), that's not the default one.
I think that it would be more appreciating if all the topics were visible from the beginning, and only if one doesn't want to see them all, could hide the older ones.

Alternatively, there should be a way to "fix" this (like a cookie), so if I choose to view all the topics, I don't have to choose again and again that option everytime that I connect to site.

Keep in mind, it's only a suggestion, and my personal idea.  
bye
Alex
I know I have seen this option before but couldn't see it when looking just now. What page is it on please? The fact that I couldn't see it does make me think that John's idea of a pinned topic would be good.

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 720
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:30:28 AM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
I know I have seen this option before but couldn't see it when looking just now. What page is it on please? The fact that I couldn't see it does make me think that John's idea of a pinned topic would be good.

At any topic level (i.e not inside a topic at post level) you should have some filter options at the bottom. There is one that says Order: which is what Alex is talking about for Taverna names because you can order by Topic Title (and not just date of last post as they are now).

Speaking about this, i am looking at putting in a new review/faq/article system which would hopefully do away with the need for lots of enties in the Where to eat forum.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Graham_and_Karen

  • Regulars
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 762
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 01:28:22 PM »
Thanks Paul - As I can never remember which topics are in which forum, I tend to just go from the top forum menu to 'View New Posts', bypassing the intermediate level menu.

Offline Alex_Kidd

  • Regulars
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
I know I have seen this option before but couldn't see it when looking just now. What page is it on please? The fact that I couldn't see it does make me think that John's idea of a pinned topic would be good.
Graham, Ploppy is right: you will see that option in each "category MAIN page". So, from the forum start page, just when you do your first click and choose for example the "Where to go" level. Then you can find the filter options at the bottom.  


Quote from: Ploppy
At any topic level (i.e not inside a topic at post level) you should have some filter options at the bottom. There is one that says Order: which is what Alex is talking about for Taverna names because you can order by Topic Title (and not just date of last post as they are now).
Yes, but this is only a part of the whole thing.   The most important option is to show all the topics, not only those ones written within the past 60 days.  

You can see the difference in these two pics:
[attachment=402:attachment]
in "pic1" notice the option that enables to see the "hidden" topics (note that there are only 5 topics!);
[attachment=403:attachment]
in "pic2", after choosing the "show all" option, you can now see all of them (15 topics!!).  
To do this, it doesn't mind the "order option" (however also important for a good reading).
Bye,
Alex
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:36:17 PM by Alex_Kidd »

Offline Alex_Kidd

  • Regulars
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 11:58:36 PM »
However, this is my favourite visualization (see attachment).
Maybe because I'm trying to read ALL the post of the entire Forum...?  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 11:59:18 PM by Alex_Kidd »

Offline Ploppy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 720
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »
Quote from: Alex_Kidd
However, this is my favourite visualization (see attachment).
Maybe because I'm trying to read ALL the post of the entire Forum...?  

Hi Alex,

I have changed it. We can leave it like this if no-one complains too much  

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Alex_Kidd

  • Regulars
  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Suggestion - default view fo all topics
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 03:21:49 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
I have changed it. We can leave it like this if no-one complains too much  
Paul

grazie Paolino!  
I don't think anyone should notice the difference    (i'm quite joking!)
When in Plakias, look for me: I'm in debt for two Mythos for you and Margherita