login

Author Topic: Public transport  (Read 18062 times)

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Public transport
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2005, 04:40:55 AM »
Regarding the previous questions on this thread about the bus timetable, I can confirm that the bus service is nowehere near as useful as it used to be as the times are silly. The current timetable is as follows:

Rethymon to Plakias: 06.15, 10.15, 14.15, 16.30 (via Preveli)

Greecemad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=3608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I believe that in the summer there is also a coach that departs at 12.15 (although it does not appear to take the direct route to Plakias) which is a much more useful connector if you have arrived on a morning flight at Heraklion.

Noopsy
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
Public transport
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2005, 10:11:59 AM »
Regarding the previous questions on this thread about the bus timetable, I can confirm that the bus service is nowehere near as useful as it used to be as the times are silly. The current timetable is as follows:

Rethymon to Plakias: 06.15, 10.15, 14.15, 16.30 (via Preveli)

Greecemad
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe that in the summer there is also a coach that departs at 12.15 (although it does not appear to take the direct route to Plakias) which is a much more useful connector if you have arrived on a morning flight at Heraklion.

Noopsy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4096\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Noopsy

Unfortunately you can't rely on what services may have run in previous years as they seem to have made some cuts this year
You can see current timetables at  [a href=\"http://www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetables.html]http://www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetables.html[/url].

Times from Rethymno to Plakias are now as Greecemad says with an extra departure at 19.30.  Weekends are the same except there's no bus at 06.15.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 04:02:14 PM by Rodger »

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Public transport
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2005, 01:44:56 AM »
Thank you Rodger.

That's a bit of a bummer as it means I have a 3 hour wait for my connection to Plakias to look forward to.      Oh well, I suppose it'll give me plenty of time to locate the whereabouts of Cosmote, and sort out a Greek SIM card for my mobile.    

Noopsy
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 01:46:29 AM by Noopsy 500 »
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Public transport
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2005, 12:23:28 PM »
Thank you Rodger.

That's a bit of a bummer as it means I have a 3 hour wait for my connection to Plakias to look forward to.      Oh well, I suppose it'll give me plenty of time to locate the whereabouts of Cosmote, and sort out a Greek SIM card for my mobile.    

Noopsy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4108\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sure Rethymno has enough attractions to divert you for two or three hours - for instance the Venetian fortress isn't that far from the bus station and makes a pleasant stroll.  Also the Archaeological Museum, if you like that sort of thing.

Offline Noopsy

• Sponsors
    • View Profile
    • Email
Public transport
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2005, 11:29:30 AM »
I'm sure Rethymno has enough attractions to divert you for two or three hours - for instance the Venetian fortress isn't that far from the bus station and makes a pleasant stroll.  Also the Archaeological Museum, if you like that sort of thing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4121\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Rodger.

I might just do that as I   ruins!
Ελευθερία ή θάνατος

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Public transport
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2005, 02:40:44 PM »
The venetian fortress and archaeological museum are in Heraklion not Rethymnon, you could always look up some time share lads?
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Public transport
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2005, 03:37:51 PM »
The venetian fortress and archaeological museum are in Heraklion not Rethymnon, you could always look up some time share lads?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Believe it or not the Venetians built more than one fortress during their occupation of Crete, and each of the major cities has its own archaelogical museum.  

I know there's a fortress in Rethymno as I've visited it several times, and the Rough Guide map of the city shows an archaeological museum nearby.

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Public transport
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2005, 09:06:24 PM »
Whatever.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline albertdiver

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Public transport
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2005, 03:36:24 PM »
Hello there is even a small Venetian Fortress, later used by the The Turks on a hill just outside Plakias named Koules, now there is an excellent accommodation a little lower to find there with the same name
Than near Koxare there are the ruins of a Turkish fortress with in front a Byzantine chapel, strange the Turks were afraid to take it away.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
Public transport
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2005, 04:17:17 PM »
Is Francokastelli venetian?

Offline LoukaFran

• View Profile
    • Email
Public transport
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2005, 06:41:09 PM »
Frangokastello is Venetian dating back to 1371. It appears it was built as protection against pirates and Cretans....

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Public transport
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2005, 08:25:02 AM »
Frangokastello is Venetian dating back to 1371. It appears it was built as protection against pirates and Cretans....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Has there been any sightings of the ghosts?
george g...

Offline albertdiver

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Public transport
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2005, 08:41:01 AM »
The ghost army, named Droussolites appear every year around the 17th of May and YES once I was there on that date and I you could see a fog hanging around the castle in the morning. Many years ago in Plakias there was a men named Barba Spiros ( uncle Spiros) he used to make a trip to the castle every year around that date, since he was an ancestor from the army that attacked the castle in 1823. You'll will believe it or not. His last trip was on the day he died, they found him dead on the beach.

Offline Rodger

• Regulars
    • View Profile
Public transport
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2005, 11:08:06 AM »
The ghost army, named Droussolites appear every year around the 17th of May and YES once I was there on that date and I you could see a fog hanging around the castle in the morning.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4164\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've not been there in May but it's a pretty spooky place after dark at any time of year, particularlty when there's a howling wind.  

Of course that was in the good old days when you could get there by bus from Plakias (to return to the alleged topic of this thread ...)

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Public transport
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2005, 11:55:44 AM »
The ghost army, named Droussolites appear every year around the 17th of May and YES once I was there on that date and I you could see a fog hanging around the castle in the morning.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4164\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've not been there in May but it's a pretty spooky place after dark at any time of year, particularlty when there's a howling wind.  

Of course that was in the good old days when you could get there by bus from Plakias (to return to the alleged topic of this thread ...)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=4167\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sorry rodger!!
george g...