login

Author Topic: Changes at the DVLA and car hire in Crete  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
Changes at the DVLA and car hire in Crete
« on: April 27, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »
Hi,
Just noticed this on the BBC news site. It may be something that people need to be aware of although I think I have only been asked to show my plastic licence each time I have hired a car.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382[/font]
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI][/size][/font]
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI][/size]Tony[/font]
Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Re: Changes at the DVLA and car hire in Crete
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:45:27 PM »
I also spotted this today. My hire car company - Autoway - only want the basic license details and never investigate what might be on the now nearly defunct paper bit - convictions etc. they have stored my basic details in their system and don't even ask me for any further details on each new visit with all the hire car paperwork prepared before my arrival and left in the car. Obviously more particular companies might scrutinise your licence details fully and/or ask for this 72 hour duration code. It does indeed seem a pain if you intend hiring more than 72 hours before your arrival. I doubt if many local car hire companies on Crete will bother with this but of course one never knows.

I do have to remember to update my details with this company when my licence changes on passing 70th birthday and every 3 years thereafter.

John R

Offline Tony and Sandra Smith

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
I also have used Autoway on our last visits but I wanted to warn other visitors

Tony

Tony

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)

Offline Rita Brooks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »
I have emailed eurocar and they are quite happy to have the original licence as before