login

Author Topic: 2011 season  (Read 19765 times)

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 12:58:40 PM »
Quote from: Arnaki
And don't forget the lovely cake.  As far as portions are concerned, I had the biggest and tastiest serving of stuffed vegetables ever.  The food was good and the service was great - for a table of 11, we all got what we ordered.  And the company, of course, was excellent.  Sigh!

Back to topic - seriously considering the same time next year, but only if someone will assure me that Force 8 winds are not the normal weather for the time of year.

Regrettably they are common and Plakias suffers especially because of the funnelling effect of the two gorges. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etesian

Mind you, early season can also be windy.

Mike

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 04:57:45 PM »
Quite right George, get the priorities right.

Babbis is great and trips to Medousa are a highlight but I have seen him quite stroppy on occasions, but hey they don't call me stroppy ploppy for nothing.
I'd probably be stroppy sometimes if I had to serve us lot day in day out.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy

Babbis is great and trips to Medousa are a highlight but I have seen him quite stroppy on occasions, but hey they don't call me stroppy ploppy for nothing.
Staying off topic (sorry) - We usually have at least one meal at Medousa but have never built up a rapport with Babbis - maybe we go there too early before he's started winding down.

Offline Gemma1

• View Profile
2011 season
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »
Back on topic and I've had an email from Olympic today with details of their 'Big Button Promotion' which finishes at midnight on Monday.  Prices at Kostas have been reduced by about 10% since last time I checked   Was going to hang on to book until I get back from Symi next month but don't think I can resist at these prices
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:13:32 PM by Gemma1 »

Offline Gemma1

• View Profile
2011 season
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »
Booked today to go back to Kostas for a week on 27th September 2011 with Olympic

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »
We got back from Kos last weekend and the shock to the system - getting up in the dark, commuting through miserable rain etc. - had us looking at the Olympic site last night and we couldn't resist booking two weeks at K&C from 13 September 2011. Long time to wait though!

Offline spottttttt

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 07:24:43 PM »
We have booked our flight for next year!! Can't wait!!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:25:19 PM by spottttttt »

Offline ann5

• View Profile
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen

Staying off topic (sorry) - We usually have at least one meal at Medousa but have never built up a rapport with Babbis - maybe we go there too early before he's started winding down.
We agree with you ..and we usually go later in the evening ...weve never found him very friendly but we love the spicy pork so go back every time !
We ve booked Dora again for June  ...cant wait !

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 10:22:31 PM »
Quote from: ann5
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen

We agree with you ..and we usually go later in the evening ...weve never found him very friendly but we love the spicy pork so go back every time !
We ve booked Dora again for June  ...cant wait !

Nikos is now in charge and the atmosphere is great. Though we like and understand Babbis (he understands us as well) we could understand some people having minor reservations when on occasions Faulty Towers like situations seemed to emerge. Nikos is very different - very friendly, keen sense of humour and very kind and considerate. Babbis keeps in the background but now with less stress he is also in a much better mood and all round our favourite place is even better than the place we liked as it was.

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 09:32:52 AM »
After a gap of almost 4 years I have relented and have booked the Irida for the first 2 weeks in June. We have stayed there a couple of times, long before the new pool was put in   and found them to be friendly and comfortable.
For those of you who have been recently, how is the new construction progressing? Any other changes in Plakias? Has the Greek credit crisis seen a marked increase in prices?
Grahame

Offline Peter&Dawn

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 12:30:16 PM »
Quote from: grahame
After a gap of almost 4 years I have relented and have booked the Irida for the first 2 weeks in June. We have stayed there a couple of times, long before the new pool was put in   and found them to be friendly and comfortable.
For those of you who have been recently, how is the new construction progressing? Any other changes in Plakias? Has the Greek credit crisis seen a marked increase in prices?
Grahame

Hi Grahame

We stayed at the Irida this year, and found it very comfortable, the pool is a great asset. We will stay there again when next in Plakias.

The construction along the beach road is progressing very slowly, in August only 3 or 4 people were working on the site. The ex-pats should be able to give an up to date progress report.
The complex at the top of the hill coming into Plakias is complete although the building at the front of it (a supermarket I think) was still empty.

The prices in the bars / restaurants have increased slightly, but not as much as we were expecting.
The biggest price rise was in petrol. We were paying €1.59 per litre (£1.37 at the exchange rate in August)

Overall the atmosphere in the village has changed little over the last 6 years we have been going. Thats what draws us time and again.  

Peter&Dawn

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »
Grahame
I agree with P&D about the construction towards the far end; the rate of progress has been pitifully slow and it isn't certain IMHO that occupants will be in by next summer. They were laying lots of concrete paths in early October but overall there wasn't much activity on the site.

We certainly didn't think taverna prices had increased at all, although I should add that we ate in Mouses almost every day. Shop prices had increased somewhat owing to the tax increases, although thankfully not the 1.5L. bottles of raki to bring home.

Petrol is more expensive than in the UK.

Mike

Offline grahame

• View Profile
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 01:48:49 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
Grahame
I agree with P&D about the construction towards the far end; the rate of progress has been pitifully slow and it isn't certain IMHO that occupants will be in by next summer. They were laying lots of concrete paths in early October but overall there wasn't much activity on the site.

We certainly didn't think taverna prices had increased at all, although I should add that we ate in Mouses almost every day. Shop prices had increased somewhat owing to the tax increases, although thankfully not the 1.5L. bottles of raki to bring home.

Petrol is more expensive than in the UK.

Mike

Thanks for the info' Peter, Dawn and Mike.
We are looking forward to going back after 4 years and it's good to know that Plakias hasn't changed too much.
Grahame

Offline Arnaki

• View Profile
2011 season
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
We've just booked for Kosta Chryssoula again for 16 August for 2 weeks - the thought of it is keeping me warm as I look out on the snowscape.  Now, if only we'd brought back some raki last time, I could really be getting an inner glow.

Offline B.Edelsten

• View Profile
    • Email
2011 season
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »
Quote from: Mike G
I was just wondering who has booked for 2011 already.

Mike

We usually weaken just after Christmas and have booked again and now dream of cold beer on the balcony, wild flowers, lovely walks and an orange juice in a beech bar...
http://www.edelsten.org.uk/PhotoAlbums/Crete-2010/

Cheers,
Bruce