Author Topic: Timeos Stavros  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« on: September 06, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
This year I will get up there but I have a few questions for the veterans who have scaled it.

I won't have a car so the first obstacle is getting there, probably a bit too far to walk.

What about hiring a mountain bike? What would that journey be like? Could I get it to the top? If not is there anything I could chain it to at the bottom? (Do the hire places give you locks any way?)

What is a good time of day to go with regards to photos? It looks like Plakias is roughly ENE from there so don't want to leave it too late or you will have the sun in the frame.

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:03:04 PM »
Quote from: Ploppy
This year I will get up there but I have a few questions for the veterans who have scaled it.

I won't have a car so the first obstacle is getting there, probably a bit too far to walk.

What about hiring a mountain bike? What would that journey be like? Could I get it to the top? If not is there anything I could chain it to at the bottom? (Do the hire places give you locks any way?)

What is a good time of day to go with regards to photos? It looks like Plakias is roughly ENE from there so don't want to leave it too late or you will have the sun in the frame.

Hi Paul

We go up there most years. - might even see you. Indeed if we go on our overlap we can give you a lift.
The cycle journey to the base of the hill will be no problem whatsoever - good surfaced road not too hilly. The track up the hill itself has varied considerably over the years. I 'm not sure why but must be (bad) weather related. On our first trip up there cars could easily negotiate the unsurfaced track to a vehicle turnaround near the top. The second year the same track was very rutted indeed and I don't think a 4x4 could have made it. If you have a mountain bike and the track is as it has been for the last year or so you should be able to easily ride it up and certainly ride it down. The track zig zags so much that it is not very steep and when we walk we sometimes wish we had a bike. The last fairly short section is a very rough and fairly steep foot track (footway) not even suitable for a mountain bike and you would need to leave it there. I would have thought it would have been safe at that point.

We are always there round about mid day and usually stay for a long time (two or three hours say) and the light varies a lot during that time. There is always shade on one side of the Church and if the weather is good it is a very comfortable place to be. The light is ok for photographing plakias at that time. Haze may be your worst problem. I suspect that fairly early AM might be the best.

Hope that helps a bit

Not long now !!

John R
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:13:51 PM by John R »

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:57:02 AM »
Hi Paul,
Nothing to add, really - John's summed up what we know. I think for your first walk up TM, it would be better to leave the bikes in Lefkoyia - you'd get more of a sense of achievement, maybe. I'm sure the lady at the little bar in the centre (I can't remember the name) wouldn't mind if you left them with her if there's the likelihood of your custom afterwards. But probably you'll get locks and chains supplied and there must be something to attach them to: John's car maybe  
The hire bikes look to be very good so, as John said, you could get them to the car turning point but I think you see more if you're walking. BTW - Monday, Sept. 14th is the feast of the holy cross so, there'll almost certainly be a service at the church in the morning.

Offline shinaria

• Regulars
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shinaria@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reuters-design.de
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
Somewhere halfway up the track there is a [it was there last year ...] a wooden hut where you may fix your bikes and make the rest on your feet.
I don't think it is possible to ride to the top on the back of your bike.

shinaria

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 02:01:46 PM »
Hello Paul,

I always do my walks in the morning as it tends to be cooler then. BTW I have only climbed it in May and have always included either one or both of the journeys from Plakias to Lefkoyia in the walk as well. You have the advantage of being a few decades younger than me, judging by the photos I have seen of you, so walking from Lefkoyia should be feasible.

John R has said most of the relevant stuff. As I said in May the track up from the west doesn't seem to be there any more or is at best ill-defined so you will need to go up the track from the south of the mountain. If cycling to where the track to the mountain top leaves the main track around the mountain I would leave the bike there and walk up. You are going to have to walk quite a section leading to the top anyway. If you go further round the mountain (anti-clockwise) on the main track you should be aware that you have to pass a group of beehives near the track and the bees were way too inquisitive for my liking.

I suggest taking a pre-chilled Mythos wrapped in a towel, which keeps it pretty cool, and would be interested to know if you agree with me that drinking that at the top of TM tastes even better than in Plakias. Don't forget the bottle opener though!

I shall have the opportunity to experience TM in the autumn next year as for the first time ever I'm not going in May. Hope the far end isn't too crowded.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:13:12 AM by Mike G »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »
Don't do what I did and think you are there when I was only at the little church!
Got to do it again next year.

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline Ploppy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hounslow Weather
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice, looking forward to it now.

Think I will go with a mountain bike and see how far up I can get!
Any other ideas where I can go not too far away? May as well get the most from my rental.

Next battle will be getting Margherita to come with me

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »

Any other ideas where I can go not too far away? May as well get the most from my rental.

From Lefkoyia, you can easily get to Amoudi and Skinaria beaches.

Offline Rowena & Carl

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - rowenabarlow@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.results4u.co.uk
Timeos Stavros
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen

From Lefkoyia, you can easily get to Amoudi and Skinaria beaches.

You can mountain bike or walk to Rodakino from Souda bay, it is pretty amazing we did it last winter.

Rowena