login

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Gossip / Re: How did you first find Plakias?
« Last post by rmartlin on November 03, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »
For what it’s worth... met my American wife in Plakias in Feb ‘72 before any commercialization of Plakias. A Canadian boy on the road.. In 1976 the N.Y. Times did an article on the first tourists to spend the winter in Plakias which spurred development of an old fishing village which the locals frequented only in summer. We took pride in being in that first group of hippies and culturally things were ‘bumpy’ as mores were radically different then. We called ourselves Plachettes and lived behind Sophis’s Cafe for 1 dollar a night in rope beds and later took a House on the shore for 40 dollars a month... paradise and we were the only westerners there in a semi permanent basis.BTW there were only 2 restaurants open only seasonally and no hotels. You could rent a small house as we did but there were only 3 or 4 available. We stayed 4 months and although offered a job waitering or in the local greenhouse had to leave because things were fractious with the locals due to being unmarried and living together... we made dear local friends however... Monolis and Leftari of Kristos Cafefame who were children when we were there. Plakias IS magic and I can see that so many love it still...
Where to eat...or not! / Re: Fresh Kalamari
« Last post by Richard on November 03, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I'll bet that Gio Ma and Siroco do, as well as Tasomanolis.

I can't recommend Tasomanolis, however, as the standard of service, in my experience, has been appalling. I've sat down, waited, and walked back out a couple of times, not sure the staff even noticed my existence.
Where to eat...or not! / Re: Fresh Kalamari
« Last post by JackieatUrbanAgenda on November 03, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
I would imagine the Tasomanolis does.....but it's worth asking any of them as I agree....there's nothing quite like fresh kalamari and I have my doubts that frozen stocks are used much. I've had some lovely kalamari dishes at various tavernas in Plakias - especially the Gorgona. Enjoy !
Where to eat...or not! / Fresh Kalamari
« Last post by Susan K on November 03, 2018, 10:46:20 AM »
I had fresh Kalamari this year for the first time ever and I could not believe how good it was compared to the standard frozen stuff you get in most tavernas. Does anyone know which tavernas serve fresh Kalamari in Plakias.

Thanks
Holiday Companies / Re: Olympic 2019
« Last post by Richard on November 01, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »
I had a look at the Olympic site earlier this year (I think) and the charge for a taxi transfer was easily 50% more than the rate charged by the local firms in Plakias.

Also, even the cost of the 'basic' accommodation seemed to have multiplied.
In response to a previous poster, I like the idea of taking the bus a lot, and making it a part of the holiday, but I'm a little awkward on my feet at the moment, so that's not for everyone.

The last few years we've used BA scheduled flights to Heraklion, but that does get expensive. Luckily I had some airmiles to use, but that won't be the case next year.

I really hope that we can still all get to Plakias. Sorry to be melodramatic, but it would break my heart otherwise.

« Last post by Bertie on October 31, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »
Regarding transfers, what's wrong with the bus? Cheap and reliable.
And as for luggage - it's a beach holiday! What is there to take other than a carry-on case?
Plakias / Re: Octobre update
« Last post by jerichrome on October 24, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »
by the looks on the webcams this morning it seems like we left just in time, heavy rains and thunderstorms since yesterday.
« Last post by jamesrogan on October 23, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »
Nice
« Last post by jerichrome on October 23, 2018, 09:01:14 AM »
Just returned from a great 10 days in Crete.
Plakias was very busy until the 19th, farend very crowded, still 6€ for 2 sunbeds and umbrella. No sign off the donutman however.
Great temps and also the water was still very nice for snorkeling.
Ammoudaki was very busy, 7€ for 2 chairs and umbrella. Beach bar still open.
Most of the restaurants and chops are closing next weekend for the winter.
Now 5 months to wait for the return at easter holiday 2019.
« Last post by JackieatUrbanAgenda on October 17, 2018, 12:51:41 PM »
Booked from Bristol for Sept 2019 but no transfers (we'll call on Takis for these) and an extra £58 each for hold luggage - so much for a 'package' holiday ! Talking to our travel agents they were hinting that all the holiday firms are worried at the moment so they are withdrawing from anything that might cause them a problem and that includes certain flights, charters, transfers and some accommodation........Brexit has a lot to answer for as I am sure some of the hosts won't trust the UK to honour its commitments post 29th March.

Personally I fully intend to be in Plakias next year even if I have to spend a little more to do it as I have local friends and businesses to support !
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10