Author Topic: Regulars to Crete but first time Plakias  (Read 10129 times)

Offline Cretian

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Regulars to Crete but first time Plakias
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:21:33 PM »
We are 2 retired ladies, maybe old but still like a bit of life, we have been to Greece numerous times and many times to Crete but this is our first vist to Plakias.   We are going to Plakias for 2 weeks at the beginning of October and we would like some recommendations of where to eat.  We like local type places which are frequented by the locals.  We are not impressed by white linen etc. but do like good food and drink and some  'kefi'  any suggestions welcome.

Offline Graham_and_Karen

• Regulars
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum ladies. Everyone has their favourites and for us it's not just the quality of the food but location service and the mood of the moment that determines where we eat each night. You can get some useful opinions in the Article System area. You will see the link in the top menu bar of the main forum page. Within that, there is a section on tavernas. Generally we eat at one of the restaurants near Ostraco's but probably our best meals have been at Castro and Medousa. Also in the top menu bar is a link to a map of Plakias that will allow you to locate most of the places mentioned.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:16:57 PM by Graham_and_Karen »

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 08:17:06 PM »
Quote from: Cretian
We are 2 retired ladies, maybe old but still like a bit of life, we have been to Greece numerous times and many times to Crete but this is our first vist to Plakias.   We are going to Plakias for 2 weeks at the beginning of October and we would like some recommendations of where to eat.  We like local type places which are frequented by the locals.  We are not impressed by white linen etc. but do like good food and drink and some  'kefi'  any suggestions welcome.

You remind me of one of our early visits to Plakias when we met two retired ladies who had arrived at Plakias on an accommodation allocated on arrival basis. They had done zero research on the place - unlike you - and had zero knowledge that the place even existed. But oh how they enjoyed themselves. They loved every aspect of the place. We are also retired and belong to the "growing old disgracefully brigade - sometimes known as Saga Louts. Don't worry - perfectly harmless and tongue in cheek. From what you say above - not impressed by white linen etc. - then Plakias is just the place for you. We frequent the Medousa Taverna - always have done and I think you will like that place. However I must re-iterate the advice given by many to try quite a few of the many excellent - none linen places around. We will be there for 1st 9 days of October so try to identify yourselves to us if you wish. Usually found in the Livicon most evenings. Not referring to ourselves but I bet you are not the oldest there.

John R
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 08:18:09 PM by John R »

Offline compage

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.compage.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 06:46:49 AM »
You are going to love Plakias.
Try Lysseos (next to the bridge) early in your holiday.
But don't miss eating at other places too.
John Page

Offline Cretian

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 06:56:31 PM »
Quote from: Graham_and_Karen
Welcome to the forum ladies. Everyone has their favourites and for us it's not just the quality of the food but location service and the mood of the moment that determines where we eat each night. You can get some useful opinions in the Article System area. You will see the link in the top menu bar of the main forum page. Within that, there is a section on tavernas. Generally we eat at one of the restaurants near Ostraco's but probably our best meals have been at Castro and Medousa. Also in the top menu bar is a link to a map of Plakias that will allow you to locate most of the places mentioned.
Thanks to all for the information.

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 11:54:11 PM »
 do get down to the medousa

good grub and great company!

Offline Trusty

• AOL Instant Messenger - quentinwithall+a
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »

One of the best places to eat in the town is MEDUESA it is situated on the back road that runs paralel with the main road. From the main road, Go down the road where the Doctors & Chemist is and turn right at the end walk along the street past a restaurant on an open terrace. You will shortly come to a tree lined garden and you will probably see Babis the owner cooking and preparing food on his open air bar b que that is Medusas. Another good place is Kastella it is up in the hills but an easy walkable distance,  you will need a torch as there is no street lighting. Walking down the main street towards the tavernas on the sea front turn right up the side street where the gift shops are walk to the end and the road becomes a track walk on, just before you get to the lending libary turn right and over a small bridge I thing there are signs from there. on your way back down look up at the sky you can see the stars so clearly because there is no light poloution.

We fly off to Crete tonight so I will try to remember to up date you when we get back

Best wishes
Trusty

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 05:38:05 PM »
Quote from: Trusty

One of the best places to eat in the town is MEDUESA it is situated on the back road that runs paralel with the main road. From the main road, Go down the road where the Doctors & Chemist is and turn right at the end walk along the street past a restaurant on an open terrace. You will shortly come to a tree lined garden and you will probably see Babis the owner cooking and preparing food on his open air bar b que that is Medusas.

Are we sure about the above. Medousa - with Babis serving but NOT cooking IS the  - quote - first "restaurant on an open terrace" and immediately adjacent to Medousa is the next taverna  - Manoussos - which has the bar B que etc. Last year I think there were some severe doubts expressed about Manoussos ??? (no doubts expressed about Medusa and Babis though).

For photo of Medousa taverna see harribobs photo below

John R
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:42:07 PM by John R »

Offline Barny

• Regulars
  • Have I seen you in Kyma?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 08:22:31 PM »
Yes Trusty, the one youre on about is taverna Manoussos, the medousa is the one with the open terrace, dont get them mixed up !

Barny.
Fancy a Mythos?

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 08:23:09 PM »
allow me to post the picture John

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 08:43:38 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
allow me to post the picture John

Thanks Chris - learned how to do it from that as well

John R

Offline Chas

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 11:26:34 AM »
We went to Manoussos three times, this year, excellent every time and quite busy.

We walked on past the Medousa because it was (almost) deserted - not a good sign, usually.

Ya pays ya money ...........
Chas

Stupidity is its own reward.

Offline John & Zell

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 11:32:48 AM »
Quote from: John R
Quote from: Trusty

One of the best places to eat in the town is MEDUESA it is situated on the back road that runs paralel with the main road. From the main road, Go down the road where the Doctors & Chemist is and turn right at the end walk along the street past a restaurant on an open terrace. You will shortly come to a tree lined garden and you will probably see Babis the owner cooking and preparing food on his open air bar b que that is Medusas.

Are we sure about the above. Medousa - with Babis serving but NOT cooking IS the  - quote - first "restaurant on an open terrace" and immediately adjacent to Medousa is the next taverna  - Manoussos - which has the bar B que etc. Last year I think there were some severe doubts expressed about Manoussos ??? (no doubts expressed about Medusa and Babis though).

For photo of Medousa taverna see harribobs photo below

John R
Without a doubt Medousa is definately THE place to eat (always ask what the days special is, they are fab)
Made the mistake of "trying"  Manoussos a while back, NEVER again, asked for the Chicken, guess what? thats All I got, 1 piece of overcooked, dry chicken, when I asked where the rest of the meal was I was told that was all I asked for so thats what I got. NEVER again, you have been warned.
John & Zell

Offline Regulars since 1992

• Regulars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 09:55:55 AM »
Each to their own and variety is the spice of life, as they say, but the Medousa has definitely become our favourite too over the years and not just because it's so close to Stella's. We invariably try a few different places each visit, but always tend to end up gravitating towards the Medousa more than anywhere else.

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 01:44:39 PM »
I ate at Medusa a few times this year and as the period was very, and I mean very quiet, Babbis had more time to be a bit more sociable than when he's busy, which is roughly from now until the end of the season.
Great food, great company, amongst others this place is in my top or near the top of my top 5 places to eat. But be careful he is very generous with his Raki, which is delish  

george g...