Author Topic: Cycling to Rodakino - Kostas & Chrysoullas  (Read 6975 times)

Offline deanmcd

• View Profile
Cycling to Rodakino - Kostas & Chrysoullas
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »
Hi,
Will be back in Plakias on 1st September.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can cycle from Souda to Rodakino over the tracks that you can see on Google Earth that cut through the 'fire breathing dragon', or would I be taking my life in my hands.

Also we are staying at K&C and were wondering if anyone had an e-mail address for them, as we would like to stay in the same room, or close to it, as 2 years ago.

Thanks

Dean

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »
Quote from: deanmcd
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can cycle from Souda to Rodakino over the tracks that you can see on Google Earth that cut through the 'fire breathing dragon', or would I be taking my life in my hands.

Dean

We have walked those tracks over recent years and some none 4x4 hire cars do occasionally make the journey. Mountain bikers would have absolutely no problem. On a "standard" bike I would say ok with care. You certainly would not be taking your life in your hands.

I have just had another look at Google Earth and their photos are way out of date. It does not show the new track between Souda and the nose of the Dragon. To get to it you need to first take the tarmac road up the hill (past the Tavernas) and then take a left turn from that road. The tracks are very much better than they appear on Google earth. I would say go for it.

John R

Offline Mike G

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
Hi,

Also we are staying at K&C and were wondering if anyone had an e-mail address for them, as we would like to stay in the same room, or close to it, as 2 years ago.

Thanks

Dean
I have seen people doing it, although, as the track is rough it ought to be a mountain bike. I have walked part of the way twice and it is very enjoyable and used by few others. In May there was some work going on part way along. It wasn't obvious to me what it was about.

Mike

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »
it's a great walk and would be an equally greay ride

there are some amazing views over suda and plakias

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
it's a great walk and would be an equally greay ride

there are some amazing views over suda and plakias

Offline John R

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fluteweb.net
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »
Quote from: Santa
To my knowledge and observation, no rocks were excavated- if they were, they would have been reused on site- infact they hauled in rocks by trucks and by the ferry- The only thing removed from the site was soil to level the harbour bed and that was drageed out further to sea .
Santa

This was not our observations on our visits to that area over the last three years or so. They most certainly dumped some material from the harbour bed at one of the many scattered quarrying sites just beyond the nose of the Dragon. However it was not a vast quantity  to make much difference to the real damage caused by the terrible indiscriminate quarrying of material (especially last year). A properly organised quarry at a single location would have been sort of acceptable and essential for the harbour construction but there are some incredible local natural landscapes which I suspect may have been unique which have been very badly damaged / devastated by lateral quarrying which covers large areas of that once very beautiful  landscape instead of say just digging a larger hole in one location. We were quite upset when we saw it actively going on late last September. The work was indeed essential to the local population and it is not my place to say it should not take place. However the quarrying operation could have been much better organised to lessen some terrible local (unseen unless you walk there) environmental damage. We have quarries in the UK Lake District near to where we live. That is an extremely sensitive environment and it is possible (just) to organise quarrying to minimise the impact on the landscape.

John R
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:20:36 PM by John R »

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
Quote from: John R
To my knowledge and observation, no rocks were excavated- if they were, they would have been reused on site- infact they hauled in rocks by trucks and by the ferry- The only thing removed from the site was soil to level the harbour bed and that was drageed out further to sea .
Santa

This was not our observations on our visits to that area over the last three years or so. They most certainly dumped some material from the harbour bed at one of the many scattered quarrying sites just beyond the nose of the Dragon. However it was not a vast quantity  to make much difference to the real damage caused by the terrible indiscriminate quarrying of material (especially last year). A properly organised quarry at a single location would have been sort of acceptable and essential for the harbour construction but there are some incredible local natural landscapes which I suspect may have been unique which have been very badly damaged / devastated by lateral quarrying which covers large areas of that once very beautiful  landscape instead of say just digging a larger hole in one location. We were quite upset when we saw it actively going on late last September. The work was indeed essential to the local population and it is not my place to say it should not take place. However the quarrying operation could have been much better organised to lessen some terrible local (unseen unless you walk there) environmental damage. We have quarries in the UK Lake District near to where we live. That is an extremely sensitive environment and it is possible (just) to organise quarrying to minimise the impact on the landscape.

John R
John-
I agree totally with you- The careless destruction of the landscape around the area is terrible-    Nothing we can do about it, but the Harbour is a nice addition to the landscape- You are right that it could have been better organized, but from my observations, Greece and "organization" are a hit and miss thing.
Santa

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Santa

well.... there were huge trucks carrying rocks from somewhere and dumping them in the mid section  

Daisy

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 07:49:52 PM »
Hi,

Thanks

Dean

Daisy

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »
Hi Dean
I just found this in a draw' hope it helps, there are two email address on this card

finikasfm@otenet.gr     &   papadakis@aias.gr

Daisy

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »
Turn right at the taverna at Souda then left at the telegraph pole. I ended up in someones garden a couple of years ago      

george...

Offline fenman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »
Quote from: George
Turn right at the taverna at Souda then left at the telegraph pole. I ended up in someones garden a couple of years ago      

george...

About 3 years ago they demolished the old bridge over the stream at souda, it was great fun clambering down and then
 up the other side with a bike, but the bridge was soon rebuilt.

Cycling is no problem on a MTB, but is unsuitable for a hybrid, there was a chainlink 'gate' and a barrel dog half way along, but no
other real problems. (except the dog kept spilling the water we put in his bowl in his excitement at seeing visitors)

Offline StephenIcarus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 07:46:57 PM »
This e-mail for Kostas worked great for me back in May:

kostaspapadakis4@gmail.com

Very helpful and friendly they were too!

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 10:09:22 PM »
Quote from: fenman
and a barrel dog half way along, but no
other real problems. (except the dog kept spilling the water we put in his bowl in his excitement at seeing visitors)

was it this fella?  he is usually at the far end near the apartments great dog

Offline fenman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »
Quote from: harribobs
Quote from: fenman
and a barrel dog half way along, but no

was it this fella?  he is usually at the far end near the apartments great dog

Maybe, it was 3 years ago!