login

Author Topic: An appeal  (Read 31295 times)

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
An appeal
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 12:45:49 PM »
Quote from: jenny
Mike

Oh how lovely that you should remember us!  So you changed from Tingaki to Plakias, was that in order to avoid us, or what?

Jenny

I can confirm that was NOT us LOL - Kos for us was definitely in 1998.  In any case, I can assure you we have far more amusing tales to tell, so we'll save them til we do meet you !

Hope we do. We are off tomorrow for a two week stay.

Yabbadabbadoooooooooo!

Mike

Offline harribobs

• Regulars
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harribobs
    • View Profile
    • http://themanchesters.org
    • Email
An appeal
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 02:19:43 PM »
Quote from: Mike from Sussex

Yabbadabbadoooooooooo!

Mike

have a great time Mike, i'm sure you will  

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
An appeal
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 12:38:11 PM »
Quote from: harribobs

Yabbadabbadoooooooooo!

Mike

Thanks Chris, we did. I know you are out there now and hope the weather is not as naff as Ploppy predicts.

We were surprised by the wind - eight days out of our fortnight - but understand the appeal of Plakias. We decided it was our favourite Greek place, along with Thassos. We had to give up going there whilst we brought up our children (Greek holidays or barefoot children, difficult call), but have never gone back, since the brochures show massive development, so the magic has probably gone and we do not want our memories ruined.

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
An appeal
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 01:38:13 PM »

Yabbadabbadoooooooooo!

Mike

Thanks Chris, we did. I know you are out there now and hope the weather is not as naff as Ploppy predicts.

We were surprised by the wind - eight days out of our fortnight - but understand the appeal of Plakias. We decided it was our favourite Greek place, along with Thassos. We had to give up going there whilst we brought up our children (Greek holidays or barefoot children, difficult call), but have never gone back, since the brochures show massive development, so the magic has probably gone and we do not want our memories ruined.

Mike
It depends how long ago you went Mike. I got back last night and Plakias has no massive developments going on although it looks like some are planned, but not imminent. There's obviously a lot of building going on around the back mostly small apartment blocks, which is alway going to happen, but they're all very inconspicuous.

Holiday Report pending...

george g...

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
An appeal
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 02:13:37 PM »
Quote from: George

Yabbadabbadoooooooooo!

Mike

Mike
It depends how long ago you went Mike. I got back last night and Plakias has no massive developments going on although it looks like some are planned, but not imminent. There's obviously a lot of building going on around the back mostly small apartment blocks, which is alway going to happen, but they're all very inconspicuous.

Holiday Report pending...

george g...

There may not be any massive housing develpoment, but the Limani is coming- They are beginning to stage some equipment west of town- I know most of you don't venture that far, but they are waiting for the season to end and then start full bore.  
Santa

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
An appeal
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 02:45:04 PM »
Hi Santa
I walked to Souda a couple of times and didn't see anything although I was expecting to see something going on!

george g...

Mike

I just read your message again, are you talking development in Thassos. I haven't got my thinking head back on yet!!

george g...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:01:57 PM by George »

Offline Santa

• Regulars
    • MSN Messenger - klausmueller95@gmail.com
    • View Profile
An appeal
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 03:47:49 PM »
Hi Santa
I walked to Souda a couple of times and didn't see anything although I was expecting to see something going on!

george g...

Mike

I just read your message again, are you talking development in Thassos. I haven't got my thinking head back on yet!!

george g...
George- There is on heavy duty digger on a lot just befor where the harbour will be built- It arrived about 3 weeks ago. There is another on in Sellia waiting to crawl down. Also, the village is looking for fill- (dirt). The construction I am referring to will be just at the bend before the road  gets steep- You may notice the small residence built on the left side of the road as you head west. Just to the left of that property is where the harbour will go-
Hope that clears it up- I will pop down for the weekend and I will report any furhter news
Santa-

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
An appeal
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2006, 03:54:14 PM »
Hi Santa

george g...

Mike

george g...

Hi George,

Welcome back. Hope you had a good time. The wind seemed to have dropped to nothing by the time we left at one o’clock on the 19th.

Thanks for the advice before we went, we hired a car for a few days and got about a bit. The wind was about the same as at Plakias wherever we went, except Chora Sfakia, which was an oasis of calm.

Had lunch there and I ordered meatballs. Having come home, I see you said on an old post that you had meatballs to die for there, but not which place you used. We went right at the harbour and lunched at the last place with tables overlooking the water (on the left, there is one more place to the right of the road). When the meatballs came they were soon accompanied by a plague of wasps, so the waiter lit some powder on a saucer and by the time I finished, I was eating smoked meatballs!

A good sign was that, on ordering, the waiter ran off to the kitchen, then returned to say they were still cooking and would not be ready for half an hour. I have been to places in Greece where they would serve up half cooked. They tasted very good and the tip was, also.

I was talking about Thassos.  We last went there in the late '70s. We looked at some brochures in '99, but did not recognise the place we had found so magical and ended up going to Crete, though not Plakias. This has been our first visit to P, and, though more developed than Thassos was in the 70s, it has a very similar feel and I know we will be back.

We did look for you every time we passed the Livicon, but did not see you. I think we may have spotted you on the beach – did you use a blue beach towel held to the bed by beach shoes through the corner holes?

Mike

Offline George

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
An appeal
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 04:34:56 PM »
Hi Mike
Glad you enjoyed it. I use an American Express towel which I've had for years and goes everywhere with me. It's a sort of faded gray/green now and it gets tucked in around the frame of the bed over my inflatable pillow (an allowed luxury). I am nearly always on the first bed of the front row of the far, Far End beds.
Didn't stop in C.S. this year but did pass through it on the way to Aredena, you were in the right place for the meat balls although I think I used the second one along.
I was in the Levicon from around 9.30-10 most evenings and always got a good seat at the front.
I had a minor hiccup but o/a it was the usual very pleasant couple of weeks.
Sorry I missed you, maybe next year although we don't live that far apart, we might bump into each other at Asda!!

george g...

Quote from: Santa
Hi Santa

george g...

Mike

george g...
George- There is on heavy duty digger on a lot just befor where the harbour will be built- It arrived about 3 weeks ago. There is another on in Sellia waiting to crawl down. Also, the village is looking for fill- (dirt). The construction I am referring to will be just at the bend before the road  gets steep- You may notice the small residence built on the left side of the road as you head west. Just to the left of that property is where the harbour will go-
Hope that clears it up- I will pop down for the weekend and I will report any furhter news
Santa-
I saw the digger on the Selia road, I actually walked passed it and thought that because of it's condition, it really didn't look very well, it had been dumped! (no pun intended)

george g...

Offline Mike from Sussex

• Regulars
    • View Profile
    • Email
An appeal
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2006, 11:39:22 AM »
George,

With my aged peepers and looking through sunglasses, blue may be an approximation.

We were at the far end on Friday, Saturday and Sunday of your first week. The gentleman I refer to was on a bed at the very eastern end, by the hosepipe shower and was accompanied by a blonde lady who had a pink towel, the couple often washing fruit under the shower.

Regarding the Livicon, it was a timing issue; we normally hit the street for our pre-prandial libation around 8 and in a taverna by 9.

For reasons with which I will not bore you, my wife is a confirmed Tesco, Burgess Hill shopper, but Ditchling Beacon just may have an influence!

Mike